A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,059
Currently Running With Scissors:
513 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: TUTORIAL: Reconstructed Men's Shirt to Button-down Tank Top! (surgery prep)  (Read 56889 times)
Tags for this thread: reconstructed , sustainable , tanktop , tutorial , craftster_best_of_2011  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

smashu
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

punk rock meets saturday morning cartoons..

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: May 31, 2011 07:44:04 PM »

Bear with me, this is my first tutorial ever! It's probably too much information but better safe than sorry Smiley

Last summer I underwent major surgery on my torso which resulted in a prolonged period of the inability to lift my arms. This, combined with the warm weather, made wardrobe prep very important! I was told I needed button-down shirts or things I didn't need to lift my arms up to put on. Alas, I found availability in stores for anything remotely cute and season concious lacking..

This led me to create a simple design which converted second hand men's button-down dress shirts into cute tanktops that could be worn in more than one way. I kept it simple in the hopes that someone going through any type of surgery on their torso or mid-section who knew sewing basics would be able to use this tutorial to create their own version Smiley Or someone who wants to make something sustainable and girly! This is the final result:

ON TO THE TUTORIAL! (*jumps around with excitement* lol)
I started with a men's short sleeve button-down shirt. You should get a shirt that is substantially larger than what you would normally wear in order to compensate for bandages you might have and also you don't want it to be tight. Normally I could wear a small or medium but for the purposes of this project, I got X-Large or Large if they looked big enough. Also, make sure you get a shirt with snaps instead of buttons if you can. You don't want to have to exert yourself trying to button up things manually.

Turn the shirt inside out and cut off the sleeves leaving the seam allowance on the piece you are cutting off. Once you do this, cut off the collar as well. Don't throw this stuff out! You'll need it for later Smiley

Now that you have a raw edge around the arm hole, you need to finish it so it doesn't come apart while you are you working on the rest of the shirt. In order to do this, I created a rolled hem. I measured 3/8 inch from the raw edge of the arm hole and then folded it over itself again at 3/8 inch, pinning as I went. If you find this difficult, you can do the first fold and pin it as you go and then iron it to create a crease which will make things easier when you fold it again. Once you have the rolled hem on the arm holes, you need to sew everything down. With my sewing machine I stitched 1/4 inch from the edge on both sides.

Turn the shirt inside out (with the snaps done all the way up) and lay it out on a flat surface you can cut on. In order to create a straight upper edge, cut horizontally through the front and back just enough to bypass the neck curves.

After that, you need to decide wide you want the drawstring casing (casing is a fabric tunnel that you can feed elastic or a drawstring through to pull or draw up fabric with) along the front and back neckline.

I wanted my drawstring to be 3/8 inch wide so I gave myself a good amount of room and decided on 5/8 inch width for the casing. For this you also need to make a rolled hem by folding the front and back edges. You can make the first fold a little less than 5/8 inch if you feel confident or are worried about the length. After folding it over itself again at 5/8 inch, pin and sew it down. You want to sew it from the inside so you can make it as close as possible to the  inside edge and give yourself enough space to feed the drawstring through.

The shirt is almost ready! Now you just need to make the drawstring. This is a sustainable design using the scraps to create a drawstring but if you want to make things easier for yourself you can use a ribbon, shoelace, or some other store bought drawstring notion and it will also work Smiley

Remember the sleeves and collar that you saved? Pull that stuff out now. First cut off any edges that contain the seam allowance. It is too bulky to use for the drawstring and will be a huge pain in the butt to use. You can discard those or use them for another project. Now that you have some pieces of fabric you can start cutting it into strips that will be sewn together to create the drawstring. The more you have, the better because along with the neckline drawstring, there is also one that goes around the waist! I cut my strips 1.5 inches wide then sewed the ends together to make a continuous strip.

Now you should have a pretty darn long fabric chain! Before going further, I folded the ends of my fabric so that they looked pretty and finished but this isn't a big deal if you are getting tired of all the sewing. It will just keep the ends inside and stop them from fraying!

Next iron it in half width-wise from the outside. This will give you a guide when you are folding the raw edges in so they are hidden inside when you finish. Fold each raw edge to the fold line and then fold it again along the ironed crease you made. This will create a type of double rolled hem that is a bit thicker and also has no raw edges. Pin it like this and then stitch twice, once to close the drawstring so as close as you are comfortable to the open edge side and then a second stitch line down the other side. This will keep your drawstring flat and the top-stitching just looks nice Smiley

The last step is optional. If you know how to make a button hole (it's pretty easy on most new machines as they have an automatic button holer) you can create one to feed the drawstring through. Where you put it is up to you, I put mine a little higher than my waist so that I wouldn't be pulling down on my bandages if it was tighter. I sewed the button hole through the front and back as close to the side seam as possible. This way you can have the drawstring entirely outside of the shirt.

And that's the end! You can tie the shirt in a bunch of different ways, my favorite is to have the drawstring tied entirely across the back, it makes a gathered kind of ruffle in the back and keeps the front a bit more fitted Smiley

« Last Edit: June 03, 2011 10:58:11 PM by smashu » THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Smashu :[    ♥   My blog! http://smashworks.blogspot.com/    ♥   Pinterest   ♥   Projects 2012(114)

In progress:   ♥   50+ Projects 2013(Cool
Seereeoslee

Get 'em while they're young

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011 07:50:16 PM »

Great tutorial!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*  *  *  *  Swaps  *  *  *  *  Granny's Daughters Round 8 and a Half (time to buy more yarn)  *  *  *  *
smashu

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011 07:59:08 PM »

Great tutorial!

Thanks! I worried about getting it all together so it made sense but I'm glad I finally had the courage to do it Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Smashu :[    ♥   My blog! http://smashworks.blogspot.com/    ♥   Pinterest   ♥   Projects 2012(114)

SunflowerSmiles

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011 08:05:10 PM »

Great tute!  bookmarked and I'm going to try this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This and That... my main blog. Drop by and say "Hello!"
  Sew Stuffed a blog about the dolls and stuffies I make
    Pinterest
crazylittlekels
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011 08:13:19 PM »

I love this! Think I need to stop by Goodwill sometime soon Wink
Thanks for posting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I post things like this in my blog too!
April Sprinkles blog
smashu

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011 08:25:10 PM »

Great tute!  bookmarked and I'm going to try this!
I love this! Think I need to stop by Goodwill sometime soon Wink
Thanks for posting!

Thanks guys Cheesy I would love to see pictures of your versions!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tynwia
Reduce, reuse, recycle it into something useful.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011 05:16:26 AM »

I will have to try this! Also make some for my daughter from her big brothers button downs Smiley They grow so fast.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/tynwia
I have a button addiction.......
Up for personal swaps Smiley
smashu

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011 07:04:10 AM »

I will have to try this! Also make some for my daughter from her big brothers button downs Smiley They grow so fast.
I think it would be great for little girls as well! You could probably make it into a dress version if she's small enough Smiley Come to think of it, I'd love to make a romper but I'd have to find two of the same shirts probably!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

magentarose
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011 07:16:18 AM »

Thanks for this! I'm definitely going to have to try this out for summer  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
badpuppy

It's a fine line between 'hobby' & 'mental illness

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011 07:38:30 AM »

Super cute!  I will also be trying this out for summer!  Thanks so much for posting this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A-ok with personal swaps.

Attempting my first quilt.  English paper piecing.  Sewing together 900 hexagons.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Playing Darts - Burma Road
Playing Darts - 27 and 28
Playing Darts - The Game of Cricket
Playing Darts - Games of 301 and 501
Playing Darts - Proper Technique
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Amigurumi
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...