A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 299,123
Currently Running With Scissors:
709 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Summer Dress - In the Wintertime???  (Read 2016 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

snow_whisper

I love to sew and to read!

View Profile WWW
« on: January 20, 2012 05:37:47 PM »

I made this a little while ago over winter break and I thought I'd share it! I used Simplicity Pattern 3823. It's fully lined, eyelet fabric, and there's light boning along the back. A zipper down the side and a halter-top tie closes it up. There's several pleats at the front as well as at the back.

I'd appreciate any critiques or criticisms Smiley Also, if anyone has tips for getting the zipper to lie a bit flatter along the side, that would be much appreciated as well.

The full dress

The back of the dress

The top of the dress

Different angle of the front

Bodice of the dress

Thanks for looking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~The angels have the sewing machine~
kirstb
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012 05:56:09 PM »

Its summer time where I am Wink

Very pretty dress Smiley  No tips for the zipper though (I'm new to zippers lol)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There is method in my madness....
embercostumer
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012 06:05:31 PM »

Very pretty! Your pleats are so neat!

Do you have a close up of the zipper problem area? Is it a hidden zipper? I like to tape my fabric "closed" with scotch tape and then sew through the tape/fabric/zipper layers with a zipperfoot to make sure that the edges line up and hide the zip perfectly, but I don't know what kind of zipper you are using. I first learned the technique in the book Readers Digest Complete Guide to Sewing. which is amazing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my website: www.embercostumes.com
raewolo
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012 06:05:53 PM »

Love it! I would wear it in the winter with maybe a cardigan, tights, and boots Cheesy
As far as the zipper goes, when mine don't lay flat I go back and press it some more and use scotch guard. You probably tried that though...Anyway, you did a great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Maimy
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012 12:07:25 PM »

That's so lovely! Beautiful choice of fabric Smiley  Zippers can be awkward little so-and-sos - if pressing isn't working, all I can suggest without taking a good look at it is to try unpicking, then re-setting it but pinning the living wotsits out of it (well, maybe one per inch), as it might just be that the fabric is stretching or slipping slightly? That would be my strategy anyway Cheesy The usual problem I have with zips at work is that cross-points (waistband, neckline) are unaligned when I zip up - and the above strategy usually fixes this! lol Smiley Oh! And in case you don't already, place your pins perpendicular to your stitch line and leave them in while you sew.

Love it! I would wear it in the winter with maybe a cardigan, tights, and boots Cheesy
^ Also this! Except mine might be long-sleeved fine knit sweater underneath rather than cardigan. And I'd add a big woven scarf!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Maimy x
Etsy | Facebook | Twitter
ColetteK
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012 06:30:28 PM »

What a beautiful dress! I love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Design a Cartoon Boat
How to Illustrate a Cartoon Car
How to Pick Out Drawing Tools
How To Illustrate a Cartoon Palace
How to Sketch a Cartoon King
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...