A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 300,874
Currently Running With Scissors:
645 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Steampunk bathroom...Ideas? Advi  (Read 1334 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

madame marigold
« on: May 31, 2011 11:53:57 AM »

Ok Firstly wont have any piccies for a bit (not till DD gets a chance to come home from where she lives and works) But...anyway, we didnt get chance to finish said room before I would up in a wheelchair so no one but ME has any problems with no doorfronts, drawer fronts etc.etc......

So..basic info on room: its 9' x 7 &1/2? (maybe Cool my wheelchair fits in no problem but toilet is behind the door in west side; handicap shower is to its right
(straight ahead once you come in the door little to the right) to your left is a linen cabinet (no drawers just shelves!) and then the 4' vanity.

Now the sink isnt centered but to the left closest to the floor to ceiling linen cupboard. the top is made of granite and under sink is roughly a 2 to 3 and a half foot space with 3 drawers to the far right.

So basicly what I kinda sorta was figuring on maybe doing steampunk was:
1. Toilet lid cover! Crocheted with maybe gears and cogs embroidered on? and matching floor mat (Tho rugs tend to trip me when I try to stand)

2. the front under the sink? was thinking of using a bedsheet gathering it and attaching like one would a dust ruffle and add crocheted cogs and/or lace to it?

3. the faux pa opening right under sink roughly 15" x 5" (suppose to be fake drawer fronts) mabe doing some aluminium like is is punched tin?
4. then the linen cupboard openings (5) and drawer fronts (3)...I have LOADS of plastic canvas I sorta thought I could work up and do sillouttes?(sp) Like a victorian womans head outline, timepiece, of course cogs and or wheels (both?) snickers.
a dergible or hot air balloon, and definetely a octopus or 2 and a submarine or something along the lines of. 

Can crochet and or have loads of lace that can be added in when it fits...
any other ideas? Does this sound as neat as it seems in me own head or am I bonkers like hubby swears I am?  Shocked Grin

Would love, love, love any ideas offered! MM
(dont laugh at this fat bunny trying to curtsing now!) Sad Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Antidigger
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011 02:50:22 PM »

If you have copper piping in your bathroom, you could expose that, polish and then varnish it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
madame marigold
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011 03:02:51 PM »

no..the piping is pvc behind the wall and under the sink but..I DO have lots of copper fitting and pieces left over from where we plumbed the 2 bathrooms that I might could incorporate? (Will go dig thru the tool box)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tomico
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011 09:26:25 AM »

It may be easier if you choose to be more specific in the steampunk style. Are you going for sky pirate, "10,000 Leagues Under the Sea", industrial, clockworks, Wild west, or Victorian botanist? I've always thought mad scientist would be fun. Going to the lavatory instead of the laboratory.

Space pirate theme:

Dirgables, goggles, strange weapons, black and white stripes, skulls and crossbones, clouds, parrots and crows, pirates, wooden legs or steampunk mechanical limbs, etc.

"10,000 Leagues Under the Sea" theme:

Crakens, sharks or shark skulls, water, ocean, images of old movies,could use any types of Victorian colors for interiour scenes and a variety of cool tones for the exterior portal scenes, nautical themes, wood and copper / bronze, portals, retro style gages, all sorts of fish and coral, etc.

Industrial theme:

Shows more pipes and gears. More of the factory and Victorian urban side of things, greys and browns, smoke stacks, grime, strange masks that would combine gas masks with a steam punk feel. Images of the industrial revolution. trains and rail roads,

Clockworks theme:

Lots of gears, lots of dark wood, brass and copper in colors, mechanical automatons of birds, squirrels, bugs, and other animals, retro robots or androids, coocoo clocks with alterations, etc.

Wild west theme:

cowboys, showgirls,  bandits, miners, again black and white stripes, desert themes, cactus, coaches with a modern twist, mostly earth tones in color, guns that have been altered, steamtrains, railways and Chinease, etc.

Victorian botonist theme:

plants on a theme; poisonous plants, herbs, flowers or unusual specimans, charts of plants, samples of plants under framed glass, bell jars, glass apothicary jars, brass scales, apothacary drawers, gloves, garden tools, etc.

Mad scientist's theme:

Lab coats for robes, test tubes and beakers to place bath herbs or poparri, skulls and skeletons, jacob's ladder, small animal skulls under framed glass, brass scales, strangely labeled items for the bath, homemade soaps, shrunken heads, wooden tables as counters, rusty or shiny scalpels and other surgery tools laid out on a silver tray ( could use tweazers and nail files as well), could look for tools used in period, strangely marked bottles for bubble bath and bath oils, could have walls white or have white with strange splatters such as to make splattered blood or even an odd glow in the dark green or other odd color.

I hope these are some suggestions you like.

Tomico

THIS ROCKS   Logged
madame marigold
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011 05:57:04 AM »

Oh those suggestions are awesome! And from what I gather one could pluck from more than one theme and combine...  Undecided (list getting made!)

I can picture homemade soaps sitting in a wicker basket adorned with gears, cogs and such on the counter top or shelf... Grin
(OH and of course a octopuss next to the soap dish and toothrush holder!)  Shocked Wink

I so cant wait to find or "get" a dig. camera so there can be before/after photos!

hmmm now to get past biggest roadblock called the "hubby"....ugghhhh Roll Eyes Cheesy
Fingers crossed it can be pulled together fairly soon!)

THIS ROCKS   Logged
tomico
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011 03:52:58 PM »

If you could find gear and cog style molds, you could make the soap itself shaped that way. Maybe you could find a rubber squid for the bath tub. It could either be small and replace the duck or it could be large and hang over the shower stall door or curtain or even the shower itself. You could play with making a towel rack out of tenticals. You could cover a toilet roll with a top hat. You could make the shower curtain and curtains fit into the theme easily as well. 
    As far as hubby is concerned, you could ask him his likes and dislikes and discuss  some of the themes you are interested in, if you get his imput and encourage his own interests it should be easy. Slowly stockpiling for the project makes it hurt less in the financeses. Try to get a pretty clear idea of what you want and try putting it down on graph paper. Plan view and each wall to scale helps when trying to figure if something will fit.

Tomico
THIS ROCKS   Logged
madame marigold
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011 06:20:13 AM »

Hi! I like your idea of the cog and gear soaps! And I def. am going to draw it all out on paper (I foget to do that ...a lot! that  Embarrassed) giggles.....

And as for hubby I want him to back to HIS bathroom! pouts.... Grin
(His is bigger with tub) NO I have tried asking what he would like for all the rooms actually he was raised by the most staid, unimaginative woman one could meet! ugghhh In laws...shakes head Roll Eyes Grin

he wants white, no knicknacks etc and OH more white! very sterile........ Huh Angry
So...If barbies are out? cephalpods are in!  Tongue  Cheesy Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tomico
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011 02:00:53 PM »

Ah, he's a minimalist. Lay him down on a grass matt and he would be fine. lol. Maybe you could do a mad scientist bathroom for him so it could stay a sterile white but have a few silly extras that would make you happy. Doesn't he have any feelings about a personal play room (man cave). Oh well, keeping him in his own bathroom may be best. (grin)
    I'm lucky, my husband and I both like the Victorian era so I get to play as much as I want. I have a room I call British occupied India that has a Victorian and Indian feel. I have a kitchen that I would call a Victorian Garden with faux clouds, trellis and ivy and a lot of cherubs. My living room has a more Gothic Victorian flair with red velvet Queen Anne style seating and vinettes of skulls and books placed on the bookshelves. my sewing room is closest to a steampunk room but without a single cog. I painted it red with gold brocade fabric and dark wood tables. Some day I will actually post photos.

I hope you have fun planning your decor.

Tomico
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Handyhands
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011 02:05:33 PM »

Perhaps I might have some useful imput. Often with crafting venues we involve ourselves to such an extent as to incorporate much of our former selves into, shall we say, our most recent online personia: I new a gal who turned her home and hobbies into a shrine/permanent distraction for and from, of all things, her former self. Thus, certain aspects of having been a foot fetish dominatrix, for example, were readily infused with often bitter and monsterously dammaging tendencies of slander and extreme coordinated acts of defimation of character. Ancillary to this, of course, would be for the transformation of those not so great moments of earlier life into indiscrecions of their projection on say, an ex who had realized what a mindlessly vindictive child she was, and perhpaps in many ways all too late. ( It is true, men can be such moooooorrrons, believe anything they here.)

Now, with this reference in mind, might we consider a nice pseudo hippy narrative meets 'minimum security looney bin craft projects' ensemble in the vestibule with... I don't know, maybe a single loveseat just big enough for a pair of large Humpty Dumpty throw pillows( don't forget the puppet strings, you will ALWAYS need those) with a complement of tiedyed wife beaters scattered over the arms and back to complete a sort of overall saboteur motif.

That is just one for the mantle of new ideas. Given the source of reference..ideas, terribly enough, abound.

Hope this helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Chef Tim Love Makes a Creative Grilled Ham, Cheese and Tomato Sandwich
How to Make Chicken & Broccoli Alfredo
Sunny Anderson’s Bottom-of-the-Tortilla Bag Recipes
How to Make Italian Sausage Hoagies
Ham Sandwich Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Super Easy Peppermint Bark
Handmade Gift Ideas: Grey & Plum Button Wreath
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...