A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,456
Currently Running With Scissors:
698 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Lampwork beads!  (Read 962 times)
Tags for this thread: lampwork , glass , beads  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

popple
« on: May 30, 2011 06:45:29 PM »

I have just started lamp working in the last two weeks or so, and thought I would share some of the beads I've made so far!
The beads here are mostly SCA beads designed to match 9-10th century Viking garb. Some of them (the greens and crazy colored ones) were just for fun. I'm learning how to make and use stringers right now.

Any other Lampworkers out there?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

who wept at the romance of the streets with their pushcarts full of onions and bad music.
Antidigger
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011 03:44:20 AM »

They are pretty. I like the one off unique beads.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Oy Vey!

Margaritas & Facial Masks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011 05:33:52 AM »

Nice beads! We do have other lampworkers here on the glass boards!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ozarkcat
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011 07:00:41 PM »

Purdy! And what are the chances of not only another lampworker, but another SCAdian on the board? Wink

Have you checked out this document on Scribd?
http://www.scribd.com/doc/8493824/VikingBeads

I'm debating trying to work up a necklace for one of Calontir's A & S competitions . . . . . . . In my copious free time, of course Wink
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011 08:11:11 PM by ozarkcat » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cathi

We do personal swaps:
Handmade soaps, candles, fiber art, and more:
http://mistymanormercers.com/
speedingpullet
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2011 09:44:04 AM »

A bit late to the party - but I do lamp work beads too!

I started by using a Hothead torch about 4 years ago, then had a hiatus, and have recently made myself a 'girl cave' (read - the garage) with a small kiln and a Mega Minor torch. So now I'm not only making beads, I'm also fusing glass.

At the moment, I seem to be obsessed with making as many small beads on one mandrel as possible. I've managed to get 8 at once without any of them cracking, but I seem happiest doing 4 or 6 to a mandrel.

Needless to say, I'm making a LOT of stitch markers! Here's a set I photographed yesterday:

THIS ROCKS   Logged
ozarkcat
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2011 07:23:50 PM »

Cool, I can see that you used ivory & got the color reaction around the turquoise, but I can't tell - did you use intense black or Hades as the base and it's melding with the ivory? Hard to tell if it's a fuzzy line or photo Wink

I really like the colored wire, too - very pretty, really makes the turquoise pop!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cathi

We do personal swaps:
speedingpullet
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2011 08:28:15 PM »

IIRC, its Messy Hades and light ivory (stringer) and I-have-no-idea-where-I-got-it dark turquoise... I'm still working on documenting my glass, as it just gets shoved into a tin with others in the same vague colour family.

I love the way the ivory stringer reacts, it sort of 'curdles' with other colours. Which doesn't sound too appetizing, but looks great ;-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ozarkcat
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011 11:25:35 PM »

Tre' cool! It doesn't matter as much which turquoise you use, the copper that gives it the color is what causes the reaction. I'm getting ready to order some silver and copper frit from Devardi just to play with the color reactions.

I've got TONS of I-have-no-idea-where-I-got-it glass - a local lady was getting out of soft glass, and I purchased a good portion of her collection. She was running through everything so fast, I was just kinda smiling and nodding. I got a stick of GORGEOUS opalescent bright blue that I really adore, and have no clue where to get more - grump.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cathi

We do personal swaps:
popple
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2011 11:24:11 PM »

Hello!

I totally forgot that I made this post Smiley I'll be posting more beads once I get them back...from wherever they are. Ozark - I haven't seen the site before, but it is AWESOME! I've been in a beading (and embroidering) lull here lately, so that's a big inspiration help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

who wept at the romance of the streets with their pushcarts full of onions and bad music.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Spot a Fake Burberry Scarf
Jessica Biel Goes for White Again at the Total Recall NYC Premiere
The Flare Trend Is Back
White Blazers Are the New Little Black Dress
How to Wear the Flattering Fit-and-Flare Dress in Style
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...