A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,549
Currently Running With Scissors:
753 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I want to display my cute calendar pics...  (Read 681 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

reelretrogrrl
« on: June 05, 2005 10:57:17 AM »

I have an old calendar of vintage food ads. Id really like to use them as decor for my kitchen. I'm not sure exactly how to do this cost effectively (Ive got VERY little money for decorating). Its very hard to find square frames in the dimensions of the pictures. To have them professionally done would be WAY to expensive. Any ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://theknittinator.blogspot.com

To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong.
- Joseph Chilton Pearce
evaberry
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2005 11:15:07 AM »

Could you get some wood or particle board, saw it to size and use mod podge to stick the images on? That would make them stand out without being framed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WandaM.

Wanda in South Texas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2005 11:22:38 AM »

Maybe you could buy some of those cheap clear plastic 'box' frames in a size large than your prints, then use some nice paper, some vintage cloth strips or some cloth ribbon as the 'mat' to take up the extra space...and go around the outside of the frame, if you wanted. I had great luck with using wide grosgrain ribbon as mats. Or, it wouldn't have to be that kind of box frame - you could do this with any frame, and spray paint to the color you wanted. There are the clear magnetic frames that would stick to the fridge too...

Or you could decopage the prints onto something - a table, your cabinet doors, dollar store cutting boards.....Huh For a Christmas present, I decopaged a copy of a vintage Roy Roger and Trigger photo onto a box, then smooshing paint around on it, and adding checkerboard stamp imprints. It looked waay better than I even thought it would.

I probably didn't suggest anything you hadn't already thought of, but maybe some of this will help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wanda in South Texas
donutgirl
I'm Glazed!

Save your forks, there's pie!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2005 02:04:56 PM »

I had a little pin-up calendar, and wanted to do something w/ the pages of the pin-ups doing housework/cooking to go in my kitchen (which is decorated in 50s housewife)

I was going to decoupage but I'm far too lazy, so I just bought a big frame at Michaels and used the back side of the white paper that was in it for the backing.  Then I glued the pictures around the edges. And in the middle of the frame is an old dishwasher ad.  It cost like 5.00 for the frame so was really cheap to do.  But I think it's cute and I get lots of compliments on it.  It's simple, which matches everything else in the kitchen, but you could get more creative w/ the frame or the backing. Or get a few smaller frames and do a few collages. 

eta: (crappy/badly lit) pictures of what i did:

« Last Edit: April 06, 2010 07:45:06 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

NellyPie

"I'm a princess NOT a policeman!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2005 06:31:11 PM »

matting them, but not framing. If they're relatively inexpensive pictures, you don't really need to protect them under glass. Try the cheapest mat board or foam core you can find (just for thickness) then cut it out as the frame for your pictures. If its ugly or the wrong color, paint it...

HECK, you could use several pieces of cardboard for a frame! Cut three pieces or so the right size (for your frame) glue them together and cover the entire frame with paper or fabric.

hope that made sense!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please go see my shop!
http://www.NellyPie.etsy.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Calligrapher Eleanor Aisha Holland at Work
Meet Ebru Artist Bingul Sevimli
Ebru Demonstration by Bingul Sevimli
Meet Painter and Art Gallery Owner Adnan Aybek
Canvas Painting Lesson with Adnan Aybek
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...