A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 299,146
Currently Running With Scissors:
601 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: aunt Lindy's paper dolls and repurposed book cover carry case  (Read 965 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jlh326
« on: December 10, 2011 03:08:13 PM »

i've been looking for a while for a nice, sturdy paper doll set for my 6yr old niece for christmas. i found this post: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=386593.0 and purchased the fabric panel here: http://www.fabric.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=1b30c51e-225b-4a2c-a99b-aafcc94a4abb once i received the fabric, i got started straight away. in researching a bit, i decided the best route for me was to do a rough cut off the dolls and clothes, and iron them onto a heavy interfacing (left from a previous project, and great way to use all of my little scrap pieces). after they were all attached, i cut the dolls and clothes out with my GOOD scissors. i knew i wanted to make a nice carry case for them, but wanted to keep each doll and their matching outfits seperate from the others. i have been dying to repurpose a book cover http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4RFH0q0Osk, and thought this would be the perfect project. after a few failed attempts at different kinds of pages/pockets, i decided to use 9x12 sheets of colored felt. i sewed fabric pockets to each sheet. i then sewed the felt sheets to one of sheet of felt that would be glued to the inside of the book cover. i used a box cutter to remove the page from a thrift store book. i sewed 2 strips of fabric and added a magnetic snap. using a heavy spray glue, i attached it the felt sheets to the book cover, including the magnetic snap straps. i let it set overnight, then i put each doll on one side of the page, and matching clothes on the opposite side.

in hindsight, i wouldve have purchased a taller, wider book. and trimmed the felt sheets to fit a little better before sewing on the pockets and gluing it to the book. and made the magnetic strap shorter, but now it can double as the handle. also havent quite figured out how to get the tabs on the clothes to lay down right on the dolls. let me what you think!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011 03:11:15 PM by jlh326 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

ivoryh1632
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011 09:27:30 PM »

I've done a couple paper doll sets for both girls and boys I know and I've always made the body of the doll out of felt so that I can back the clothes with felt and they'll stick but it doesn't look like that'll work with the set you've got. Maybe you can back the dolls with one side of velcro and then back the tabs on the clothes with the other side of the velcro. That way they should stick when you fold the tabs over the dolls. You wouldn't even have to worry about sewing the velcro on, I'd just use some E6000 since that stuff is amazing and will even go through the wash a few times without coming off.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Fashion Staples to Stock Up on for Work
Have You Ever Looked as Good as Olivia Palermo in a Storm?
Primark Lookbook 2014
4 Date Night Outfit Ideas!
See All the Celebrity Super Bowl Style!
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...