A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,569
Currently Running With Scissors:
701 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Does ANYONE have ANY ideas for a father's day gift?!!  (Read 5204 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

handprints27
« on: June 05, 2005 09:22:04 AM »

Does anyone have a fun, easy, but great project to make for father's day?!! list any ideas you have ASAP!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CHILLAX!
junquette

Oh come on ya can never own enough shoes or purses

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2005 05:40:45 PM »

does he wear boxer shorts? Very fast and very easy to do. Just trace a pair of shorts that fit him now. But when you get to the waist part don't forget to stretch the waist open when you trace it.

This could also be extended into pajama bottoms.

Could you trace a muscle shirt that already fits him?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hakue
Creative Chaos

You can't put that on a steak and eat it!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2005 06:49:35 PM »

You could buy a plain wooden picture frame, decorate it, then put a picture of the two of you inside.  A scrapbook is always nice too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Skill without imagination is craftsmanship and gives us many useful objects such as wickerwork picnic baskets. Imagination without skill gives us modern art."
Tom Stoppard  

Horrah for quotes! Cheesy
d_oubt

Go Banana, GO!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2005 07:02:35 PM »

so, it's not the craftiest thing, but here's what im doing for my dad:

my dad has always wanted to try writing, but has never done it. so i've gotten the book No Plot No Problem - which basically is a guide to writing a novel in 30 days. it doesn't have to be a great novel, just a novel which doesn't make someone puke. it gives you guides for how much to write each day and tips, so i'm making him a 30 day writing calendar/checklist to go w/ it so he stays on track. it's personal, yet so so cheap.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged
junquette

Oh come on ya can never own enough shoes or purses

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2005 07:47:26 PM »

my dad has always wanted to try writing, but has never done it. so i've gotten the book No Plot No Problem - which basically is a guide to writing a novel in 30 days. it doesn't have to be a great novel, just a novel which doesn't make someone puke. it gives you guides for how much to write each day and tips, so i'm making him a 30 day writing calendar/checklist to go w/ it so he stays on track. it's personal, yet so so cheap.   

What a cool idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

handprints27
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2005 02:52:38 PM »

so, it's not the craftiest thing, but here's what im doing for my dad:

thats so smart and cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CHILLAX!
obsoletepostergirl

Certified thing-finder.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2005 03:34:02 PM »

I have been buying suit shirts and embroidering small designs on the breast pocket. It is quick and he really loves them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
StarSix
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2005 09:58:40 AM »

This is what I've done for my Grandpa - he likes "special drinks."  I think I've also done it for teachers and other people I don't know well for Christmas and stuff like that:

Cappuccino Mix
1 cup instant chocolate drink powder (Nesquik)
1/2 cup powdered coffee whitener
1/2 cup instant coffee granules
1/2 cup skim milk powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg

All ingredients layered in a glass jar (or plastic bag, like I'm doing) with these directions attached:

Stir contents before using.  Measure 2 tbsp Cappuccino mix into blender.  Add 1 cup boiling water.  Process until foamy.  Pour into mug, sprinkle with nutmeg.  Serves 1.

Of course, this was given with a big ol' ceramic mug, the plastic bag of Cappuccino mix inside.  Can also be done with just specialty coffee, or I have a ton of other recipes if anyone's interested (mocha, latte, choco coffee, chai tea, other teas) I also included a "coffee stirrer" - melted chocolate on the stove, added a little bit of peppermint extract, and dipped a plastic spoon in there.  Wrapped it in plastic, tied a little bow around.  I wrapped all of this up like a gift basket.

Recipe from "Company's Coming Gifts from the Kitchen."  It has everything from cookie mixes to popcorn mixes, soup mixes etc.  - if anyone wants anything else, pm me and I'll send you recipes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's not Beethoven, but it sure bounces!

~ The Aristocats
mamasmurf
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2005 05:26:46 PM »

I went to the trophy shop and bought some cheap generic trophies and got the shop assistant to engrave " Grandad of the Year" love from Lilian and Dylan (my kids names).

They only cost me $10 (Australian ) each and were very cool and personal.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
by_stander
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2006 07:35:30 PM »

I second the picture idea, my Dad has all kinds of interests that my ideas for a gift could float off of, but a picture, recent of you (photo booth would work, you could hold up a sign for each picture that says "Love", "You", "Dad") by yourself in a decent frame (Ross has some good, cheap ones or homemade if you have the inclination) and then maybe a fine microbrew from your local natural foods store or co-op and a big "hi-I'm-your-kid-you-made-me" smile.  I would think that this would go over well on any day.  Actually I prefer to ignore my Dad on Father's Day (accidentally) and then randomly surprise him for no particular reason at another time of the year.  Good luck in your endeavours!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jjm
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2006 05:49:21 AM »

Quick and easy...check out my blog below to get a ready made image for a magnetic phone number holder.  Or use customize your own images to suit the dad's interests.  The images need to be 4 3/4" x 4 3/4".  Could be your picture, a golf picture (if he likes golf), etc.  Can be used at home or work (if he has a metal file cabinet or metal desk).

On the book theme, there's also a link for a journal that your dad writes to be handed back to you on another occasion.  Asks pertinent questions about his life, you just need to print it off and insert it into a binder.

Both ideas are very inexpensive....hope this helps. Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tenaj51
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2006 10:02:30 AM »

My son has recently taken to gardening, so I'm getting him a shovel & wood-burning his name on the handle.  Also, for his birthday, I'm giving him a blank notebook to be used as a cookbook, and putting copies of some family favorite recipes, and the including a special pan to be used for preparing one of our family traditions: cheesecake.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lazeedayzee
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2006 10:13:46 AM »

Well, it's not crafty at all, but my dad is really hard to do anything for. So this year, I downloaded a bunch of Noam Chomsky lectures/speeches/interviews from BearShare and burned them onto CDs. My dad's a big lefty political activist, and he'll just love them. He would probably love anything from the CarTalk guys too. NPR Rocks bay-bee!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PinkyK
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2006 10:27:00 AM »

I have this great picture of my dad fishing from a few weeks ago and just as he was casting he let go of the rod and reel!  Yes, my husband captured the moment the rod and reel left his hand and went flying into the water on film!  He got the rod and reel back no problem luckily he was able to grab some line and pull it in.  We all had a HUGE laugh over the incident.  Anyway, I bought a CHEAP blank wooden frame at Michaels and some unpainted wooden fish and I'm going to paint up the frame and fish glue the fish on to the frame and frame the picture. It's personal, cheap, and crafty!

I'm also sending him a pedometer because he has been walking lately and he loves gadgets.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2006 10:31:24 AM »

OH my goodness... that is the funniest thing & the fact that you caught it is THE best!!  Aren't ya in one of the day in the life photo swaps now?  Poor dad.  LOL!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
PinkyK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2006 10:41:03 AM »

OH my goodness... that is the funniest thing & the fact that you caught it is THE best!!  Aren't ya in one of the day in the life photo swaps now?  Poor dad.  LOL!

hehehehehhe He'll get a kick out of it. I'm not sure if you can see it or not, I'll probably crop out some of the surroundings. That's my brother, my nephew, and my brother's wife.

My Day in the Life photo Swap is going to be funny! I have all kinds of crazy stuff documented! I even tried to make doing laundry artsy fartsy! Now I just have to put a soundtrack to it all.  I'm just happy I am FINALLY using my minor in film!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2006 10:44:28 AM »

ROFL!!!  That is a "priceless" picture waiting to be captioned.  Too wonderful!

I did a slideshow for my little sister's open house this month & used Photodex, ProShow Producer... it has awesome options for various elements, actions, etc.  Good stuff.

Man... that's a good picture.  I'll be giggling all afternoon.  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn Hot Cross Buns on Violin
Learn to Play the G Major Scale in Violin
Keeping Elbow Still When Playing Violin
How it Felt to Butcher a 700 Pound Steer
Introduction to Vibrato on Violin
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...