A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,454
Currently Running With Scissors:
539 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Spring Ruffle Dress  (Read 803 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

whats_her_name
« on: May 27, 2011 07:58:10 AM »

The Sew Mama Sew website has a tutorial for a woman's Spring Ruffle Top, and I modified it a tiny little bit to make this dress for my daughter.  I received the gingham fabric from katie-bee in the needle book swap a few months ago, and I just knew I'd be making a summer project with it.  The white fabric is just from an old white sheet that my mom recently gave me.  Worked perfectly!

I only changed the straps and the ruffle.  Everything else is directly from the original tutorial - even the length is 20" as recommended in the tutorial.  

Straps:
My strap pieces measured 5" x 13".  Instead of only turning 1/4" on the straps, I folded it in half again.  So 5" folded in half is 2-1/2", and then each of those sides folded in half again is 1-1/4".  My finished strap pieces measured 1-1/4" x 13" (before pinning, marking & trimming).

Ruffle:
Instead of finishing 1 edge of the ruffle and then gathering the other end, I folded the ruffle pieces in half and then gathered the raw edge.  So my ruffle pieces measured 1-1/2" x 22" (before gathering).

That's all I changed - I worked on the dress last night after the kids were in bed, so I couldn't use her to determine the strap length.  I probably ended up trimming too much - next time I will add 1/2" or maybe 3/4" to the strap length so it's not so close to her armpit.  And I think I'll add an extra inch around the chest band, too, because it was a bit tight getting her arms in this morning...

All in all, though, this dress was a success.  It's a very fun project, and start to finish was just under 3 hours, including the cutting.

Thanks for looking.  C&C welcome.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011 10:30:07 AM by whats_her_name » THIS ROCKS   Logged

ambientsoul
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011 08:09:45 AM »

Awe, this is absolutely adorable! Well done :-) The only suggestion I have that you could try (not too sure how it would look) is to tie a pink sash around her waist - with the bow in the back. Also, some white lace around the bottom might make it look a bit more 'complete'.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
whats_her_name
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011 08:23:45 AM »

Awe, this is absolutely adorable! Well done :-) The only suggestion I have that you could try (not too sure how it would look) is to tie a pink sash around her waist - with the bow in the back. Also, some white lace around the bottom might make it look a bit more 'complete'.

Oh my goodness - that is adorable!!  Lace and a sash are great ideas, thanks! 

I think I might add an invisible zipper under one arm, too, so it's not such a fight getting in and out -- my daughter is a little claustrophobic about tight clothes...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

J_Kieviet
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011 10:50:32 AM »

It looks great, not sure about lace on the bottom for the older girls, might make it look like jammies, eyelet would probably work though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking for Sophia the first fabric and Frozen fabric (preferably flannel, but would settle for cotton) and Phoomph.  I'm in Canada and the companies are that I could order from charge $20-$30 shipping, so if anybody can find some and wants to swap/sell, I would be eternally greatfull.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Behind The Scenes With Courtney Love
LRIA Exhibition Pop Bang Art Timelapses
How Jimmy Gownley Draws Amelia
How to Draw a Sabertooth Tiger
How to Draw a Dodo Bird
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...