The Sew Mama Sew website has a tutorial for a woman's Spring Ruffle Top
, and I modified it a tiny little bit to make this dress for my daughter. I received the gingham fabric from katie-bee
in the needle book swap a few months ago, and I just knew I'd be making a summer project with it. The white fabric is just from an old white sheet that my mom recently gave me. Worked perfectly!
I only changed the straps and the ruffle. Everything else is directly from the original tutorial - even the length is 20" as recommended in the tutorial.
My strap pieces measured 5" x 13". Instead of only turning 1/4" on the straps, I folded it in half again. So 5" folded in half is 2-1/2", and then each of those sides folded in half again is 1-1/4". My finished strap pieces measured 1-1/4" x 13" (before pinning, marking & trimming).
Instead of finishing 1 edge of the ruffle and then gathering the other end, I folded the ruffle pieces in half and then gathered the raw edge. So my ruffle pieces measured 1-1/2" x 22" (before gathering).
That's all I changed - I worked on the dress last night after the kids were in bed, so I couldn't use her to determine the strap length. I probably ended up trimming too much - next time I will add 1/2" or maybe 3/4" to the strap length so it's not so close to her armpit. And I think I'll add an extra inch around the chest band, too, because it was a bit tight getting her arms in this morning...
All in all, though, this dress was a success. It's a very fun project, and start to finish was just under 3 hours, including the cutting.
Thanks for looking. C&C welcome.