A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,575
Currently Running With Scissors:
675 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fiber Friday may 27th, 2011  (Read 2732 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nikschaf
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2011 05:40:14 PM »

Bella -- can't wait to see your yarns.  I saw your post about the sheep to shawl challenge.  I only have a brown fleece -- suppose I can overdye it if I can force myself to persevere and comb enough to make a project with! :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
inle_rah
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2011 06:04:56 PM »

morning town, i am super impressed by your first yarns.  My first spinning experiments fell very much into the novelty yarn category. and not in the good way.   Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

about me
my wists
Ravelry
My Etsy
Personal swaps?  Yes, please.
jexxican
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2011 08:07:54 PM »

I'm really liking MIST.
Drop spinning shouldn't hurt your hands. It never did mine. Maybe I'm just tough *grunt* Too tough for my own good *grunt, snort, grunt*
Morning town, predrafting is not cheating. Some people just can't do it anymore. When I predrafted, it always came out thick and thin, even after I went over it again! I find I spin more evenly if I draft as I go but only if I'm spinning really thin. Thick yarns for singles, forget it.
I didn't get anything spun up this week. Still can't find the top of my bobbin, the kids stole it and I am sad. Used it as my motivation to clean the house but it never showed up. I'm afraid it got thrown away or something and I am sooooo sad. I did start spinning a little on my spindle but not enough to show. Oh, and I did spin something from before the bobbin top was lost but I'm too lazy and sad to post pics.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
LaughingLark
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2011 04:55:30 AM »

Beautiful yarns, everyone. I don't have any to share this week. This has been a difficult week, with the tornado in Joplin. Joplin is the closest sizable shopping city and we spend a lot of time there. Many friends there. Just saw one more name of someone we know moved from the missing to the located (alive!) list, so now I can calm down some.

I now have three feed bags of suffolk and suffolk/hampshire wool, stuffed to overflowing. Some of the wool is white, and she says there is some blue in there too. There is at least one ram's wool in there because it is...fragrant. Cheesy I have it on our back porch, which is enclosed from the weather. Every time I open the back door, we smell essence of barn yard. LOL. Some of this wool has 3-4" staple and really pretty crimp. Our horrible winter made the sheep grow lots this year. I don't know how soft this wool will be, but since I like weaving better than knitting, if it is all too scratchy for next to the skin, I'll use it for tapestry weaving, etc.

I have to finish sorting out the free llama/alpaca I have, so I can use the lingerie bags and tulle that they are in to wash this wool. Lllamas smell so much better than sheep... haha!

Edited to add:
Charax, I sometimes get hand pain from spinning a drop spindle. I got a Navajo spindle from hubby for Mother's day, and that will help my hands. I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but it is good for bulky yarns. I think you could spin thin on it too (park and draft). It's not the drafting that gets my hands, it's the hand motion used to start the spindle spinning.
Observe how mush less work the spindle has to do in this video. I'm eager to try this once I get my Suffolk rolags made:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uG2qdpJNhTM
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011 05:54:50 AM by LaughingLark » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2011 07:40:48 AM »

Sometimes my hands hurt no matter how I spin. but once I get into a rhythm, I don't/can't stop and either the pain goes away or I just don't  notice it anymore. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2011 04:29:21 PM »

Okay, here it is.  I recieved this awesome roving from Dharma_Rebel in the IYP swap, and I love how it spun up.  It's BFL/tussah silk, and how it looks in the skien completely lies about the color runs.  There are long runs of yellow and purple, shorter runs of orange and pink, and a bit of color plying through out.  So the color will blend fairly nicely in a finished item.

with the way I split the roving, I had to break the one single into pieces in order to achieve the desired look of the yarn, so I was left with small chunks of each color. I plied these all together at the end, and got this tiny skein.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LaughingLark
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2011 04:46:24 PM »

Belladune, that is gorgeous!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

nikschaf
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2011 06:32:15 PM »

Love it, Bella!  Stunning!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2011 08:03:23 PM »

Smiley thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

charaxesdistanti
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2011 09:28:51 AM »

That yarn Belladune, is my favorite!! I love those colors and it is soo even. Great job

The part that hurts me hand is the winding. It hurts me thumb to hold the spindle and turn it to wind the yarn on. Never did before only recently.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Tell us a story, I know you're not boring"
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Wear Your Chambray Shirt a New Way Every Day
5 Ways to Revamp Your Fall Wardrobe
Sofia Vergara To Wed in Vera Wang
Paul Smith - London- Spring 2014 - Backstage, Interviews and Runway
Wendell Rodricks College Fashion Hacks
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...