A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 302,560
Currently Running With Scissors:
719 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fiber Friday may 27th, 2011  (Read 2530 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

inle_rah
« on: May 27, 2011 07:51:44 AM »

It's Friday!  Time for a fiber fix.

I have a few new yarns to share this week.

First up, is The Walking Dead

about 4 oz / 290 yards of merino/alpaca/faux cashmere/wool blend from Dyeingforewe on etsy.

Next is Mist

2.5 oz / 145 yards hand dyed BFL. Pulled this one from the bottom of my stash this week.

Recently I purchased a drum carder, and have been having a good old time carding my own batts.

Here's what I spun from my first batt:

2.4 oz / 120 yards hand dyed BFL, Merino and random other stuff

And this one, I am calling Haunted Pirate Ship:

2.4 oz / 150 yds hand dyed BFL, Merino, Cashmere, and wool.

So...what have you been doing this week?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

about me
my wists
Ravelry
My Etsy
Personal swaps?  Yes, please.
charaxesdistanti
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011 08:14:46 AM »

That stuff is so pretty, love the texture of the bottom two and the walking dead is perfectly named!

Here is my contribution

Jelly Bean 4 oz. Merino, DK navajo plied 250 yrds.

Drop spinning is starting to really hurt  my hands, I plan on making my own spinning wheel this summer, I hope it works out.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2011 08:15:26 AM by charaxesdistanti » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Tell us a story, I know you're not boring"
nikschaf
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011 08:35:57 AM »

Ooh, I love Mist, and Charaxes, I love your vibrant colors!!

I don't have a yarn, but a couple of finished objects.  On the left is a Queen Anne's Lace scarf, and on the right is a winter headband.  They'll go along with some mittens I crocheted from the same yarn a few months back.  Not the best pic, but, meh.

The yarn is Tequila Sunrise which I dyed with Kool-Aid.  The single yarn on the left is what I used for the scarf, and the two-ply is what I used for the headband and the aforementioned mittens.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nittydread

Spin like the wind

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011 09:20:32 AM »

Love the names!

Mist is my favourite, but they all look really good.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
inle_rah
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011 10:44:05 AM »

I love those bright colors, charaxesdistanti.

Strangely enough, I also recently made a queen anne's lace scarf with some handspun yarn.  Yours looks awesome.
Mine was a lot more dense, yours seems really light and airy.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

about me
my wists
Ravelry
My Etsy
morning_town
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011 01:44:44 PM »

All these yarns are very pretty! I'm digging the bright springy colors and Mist.

I just started spinning this week and it's a lot of fun! I got my drop spindle on Tuesday, I think, as well as 4 little balls of roving and one big bag of wool roving. I'm not sure what the little balls of roving were, but they were nice to work with.

I predrafted everything. Like crazy. It feels a bit like cheating, since I predraft to the size I want to spin. It's just that draving while spinning seems really difficult!

I didn't name my yarn, although I should. Everyone has such creative names!

Anyways, here's my yarn. I got a little picture happy...

This was the first one I spun, with a quarter to show the size. This was one of the little roving balls.

The second roving ball I spun up. I was spinning it onto a pencil so that I could ply it with the red.

This is the two roving balls I had left with the yarn I had spun. Yup, these are Gryffindor colors! I'm hoping I can make something for the last HP movie.

I plied it and set the twist. I'm so happy with how it came out! It looks like yarn!

And now I'm spinning the second red ball of roving. I predrafted really really tiny! Almost too tiny. Oops.

I'm already dreading running out of roving, since I'll have to drive 30-40mins to the store or order some online and wait for it, haha.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

nikschaf
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011 02:05:36 PM »

Morning_town -- your yarn is so consistent.  Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nikschaf
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011 02:09:22 PM »

Inle, I just found your scarf in the Finished Objects thread -- love it!  Those purples are great and you did a much better job photographing yours -- I love your close-up of the pattern.

I think homespun is so great for the Queen Anne's Lace pattern since it really shows off the various colors in the yarn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011 04:15:36 PM »

Wonderful yarns this week!!

I've been busy filet crocheting a table cloth for my son's wedding.  Just finished this afternoon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2011 05:34:54 PM »

These yarns look fabulous!  Walking dead is perfectly named! 
Chara, yours are so bright and wonderful!
Nikschaf, those are beautiful hand spun items! Keep in mind I'll be posting the Sheep to shawl challenge before next fiber friday, I'd love to see what you can come up with!
Morning town, that yarn is so even for a first few spins! wonderful!
I have some stuff on the wheel that will probably be off by tonight. i'll share tomorrow!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nikschaf
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2011 05:40:14 PM »

Bella -- can't wait to see your yarns.  I saw your post about the sheep to shawl challenge.  I only have a brown fleece -- suppose I can overdye it if I can force myself to persevere and comb enough to make a project with! :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
inle_rah
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2011 06:04:56 PM »

morning town, i am super impressed by your first yarns.  My first spinning experiments fell very much into the novelty yarn category. and not in the good way.   Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

about me
my wists
Ravelry
My Etsy
jexxican

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2011 08:07:54 PM »

I'm really liking MIST.
Drop spinning shouldn't hurt your hands. It never did mine. Maybe I'm just tough *grunt* Too tough for my own good *grunt, snort, grunt*
Morning town, predrafting is not cheating. Some people just can't do it anymore. When I predrafted, it always came out thick and thin, even after I went over it again! I find I spin more evenly if I draft as I go but only if I'm spinning really thin. Thick yarns for singles, forget it.
I didn't get anything spun up this week. Still can't find the top of my bobbin, the kids stole it and I am sad. Used it as my motivation to clean the house but it never showed up. I'm afraid it got thrown away or something and I am sooooo sad. I did start spinning a little on my spindle but not enough to show. Oh, and I did spin something from before the bobbin top was lost but I'm too lazy and sad to post pics.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
LaughingLark
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2011 04:55:30 AM »

Beautiful yarns, everyone. I don't have any to share this week. This has been a difficult week, with the tornado in Joplin. Joplin is the closest sizable shopping city and we spend a lot of time there. Many friends there. Just saw one more name of someone we know moved from the missing to the located (alive!) list, so now I can calm down some.

I now have three feed bags of suffolk and suffolk/hampshire wool, stuffed to overflowing. Some of the wool is white, and she says there is some blue in there too. There is at least one ram's wool in there because it is...fragrant. Cheesy I have it on our back porch, which is enclosed from the weather. Every time I open the back door, we smell essence of barn yard. LOL. Some of this wool has 3-4" staple and really pretty crimp. Our horrible winter made the sheep grow lots this year. I don't know how soft this wool will be, but since I like weaving better than knitting, if it is all too scratchy for next to the skin, I'll use it for tapestry weaving, etc.

I have to finish sorting out the free llama/alpaca I have, so I can use the lingerie bags and tulle that they are in to wash this wool. Lllamas smell so much better than sheep... haha!

Edited to add:
Charax, I sometimes get hand pain from spinning a drop spindle. I got a Navajo spindle from hubby for Mother's day, and that will help my hands. I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but it is good for bulky yarns. I think you could spin thin on it too (park and draft). It's not the drafting that gets my hands, it's the hand motion used to start the spindle spinning.
Observe how mush less work the spindle has to do in this video. I'm eager to try this once I get my Suffolk rolags made:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uG2qdpJNhTM
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011 05:54:50 AM by LaughingLark » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2011 07:40:48 AM »

Sometimes my hands hurt no matter how I spin. but once I get into a rhythm, I don't/can't stop and either the pain goes away or I just don't  notice it anymore. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2011 04:29:21 PM »

Okay, here it is.  I recieved this awesome roving from Dharma_Rebel in the IYP swap, and I love how it spun up.  It's BFL/tussah silk, and how it looks in the skien completely lies about the color runs.  There are long runs of yellow and purple, shorter runs of orange and pink, and a bit of color plying through out.  So the color will blend fairly nicely in a finished item.

with the way I split the roving, I had to break the one single into pieces in order to achieve the desired look of the yarn, so I was left with small chunks of each color. I plied these all together at the end, and got this tiny skein.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LaughingLark
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2011 04:46:24 PM »

Belladune, that is gorgeous!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

nikschaf
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2011 06:32:15 PM »

Love it, Bella!  Stunning!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2011 08:03:23 PM »

Smiley thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

charaxesdistanti
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2011 09:28:51 AM »

That yarn Belladune, is my favorite!! I love those colors and it is soo even. Great job

The part that hurts me hand is the winding. It hurts me thumb to hold the spindle and turn it to wind the yarn on. Never did before only recently.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Tell us a story, I know you're not boring"
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2011 10:03:54 AM »

That yarn Belladune, is my favorite!! I love those colors and it is soo even. Great job

The part that hurts me hand is the winding. It hurts me thumb to hold the spindle and turn it to wind the yarn on. Never did before only recently.

Thanks!! Grin
For the pain, you could start rolling the spindle on your knee, using your whole hand, to wrap it.  That would save your thumb from injury.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011 10:05:31 AM by Belladune » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Oyhana
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2011 01:12:36 PM »

I've been playing with my spindle and learning quite a bit about basic spinning and different fibers.  These were all made from the same wool.  I used kool-aid, food coloring, wine, coffee, and vegetables to dye with.

My 2nd skein! About 160 yards

This was kind of an experiment in dyeing.  I only used one color but ended up with about 7 different hues.

Baby skein of alpaca.  I loved spinning with the alpaca, such a neat fiber.  I think I spun it a little thick though.  It is kind of rope-like.

All these yarns were turned into hats

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest     

Personal swap friendly!  Especially ATCs!
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2011 02:43:23 PM »

Nice work Oyhana! I like the first color combo the best Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SewMamaLady

I heart handmade!!

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2011 11:29:39 PM »

Lovely yarns! I've missed Craftser. I've had a lot of craziness going on and haven't been on or spun anything lately. My wheel is messed up right now. I had a 10 year old cousin come over and decide that my wheel was something he needed to spin as fast and chaotically as possible. His mom didn't stop him and put me in this weird situation of wresting the wheel away. After he left I noticed the nylon thread had snapped. We just moved into a new house so I haven't gotten a new one. Boo! I've enjoyed looking at all of your yarns though! Smiley Good stuff. Hope you're all well!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Homespun gifts for your friends and family!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/shallwespinmydear
Will be posting more items soon. Check back!
nikschaf
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2011 07:56:52 AM »

Nice yarns, Oyhana!  That first one makes me think of Superman or Wonder Woman, in a good way.

With your 2nd one, I love the variation in tones.  I did that recently too, where I used only one color for the dye, but got lots of tones -- totally fun.

I like your hats -- you should post them in the Spun to Finished Photos thread, if you haven't already.

SewMama -- total bummer about your wheel!  Very frustrating you had to grab your wheel away instead of his mom just asking him to stop.  Hope you get it up and running soon!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SewMamaLady

I heart handmade!!

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2011 10:05:09 PM »

@nikschaf He's a pretty hyper kid. I was at least impressed at his genuine interest in the entire wheel. He was very fascinated with it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Homespun gifts for your friends and family!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/shallwespinmydear
Will be posting more items soon. Check back!
nikschaf
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2011 08:57:59 AM »

@nikschaf He's a pretty hyper kid. I was at least impressed at his genuine interest in the entire wheel. He was very fascinated with it.

I think wheels are great for kids to be around, in general.  My son loves to watch and listen (and help) as I spin.  And he really loves to treadle.  Maybe your cousin will be over again and will be gentler next time!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Fix Your Self-Tanner Mishaps
Top Must Have Makeup Brushes
How to Whiten Your Teeth on a Budget
A Must-Have Body Oil for Moms-to-Be
How to Apply Blue Smokey Eye Makeup
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...