A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,482
Currently Running With Scissors:
420 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Irritated with this design!  (Read 4183 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BagLady
« on: March 16, 2004 09:34:28 PM »

I have just about had it with this design!! EVERYtime I make it I have to flip and seamrip and flip and seamrip and resew and flip and seamrip some MORE to try to get it straight... has anyone made one like this before?

The corners kind of go up when you are sewing before pulling the bag through the liner, and I always end up (Even after all the flipping & ripping!) with one side that is just OFF...
http://img35.photobucket.com/albums/v106/BagLady/mae_greenstripestoile.jpg

I loved this fabric together, and had my heart set on it just being the best bag ever, and now I just feel like letting my son pick up rocks with it, lol...

http://img35.photobucket.com/albums/v106/BagLady/mae_greenstripestoileinside.jpg

and if that isn't bad enough... I had this problem with the ribbon that the beads are on. I got some no-fray stuff, but I guess I didn't use it soon enough (probably should have used it right after I cut the ribbon, huh?) and it frayed big time so I had to trim it back...

http://img35.photobucket.com/albums/v106/BagLady/mae_greenstripestoile_closeupribbon.jpg

Anyone have any hints or tips for sewing this style and getting it right??  This one is a lot smaller than I wanted, too, cuz of all the flipping & sewing  Angry

I'm willing to trade this! lol...
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011 06:28:16 PM by kaz814 - Reason: broken images - kaz814 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

GracieTom: Original Handbags, Totes & Accessories Galore | www.gracietom.com |

Affordable website design & logo development | www.lisettedesign.com |
homara
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2004 09:54:59 PM »

sorry baglady, wish i could help, but i've never made a bag quite like this one before...its awesome looking though... Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Goddess
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2004 10:48:46 PM »

I am trying to see where the flaw is of which you speak! I think it's gorgeous! send it here, I'll use it!
and not to pick up rocks Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lara
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2004 06:20:11 AM »

baglady, i couldn't see the flaw!
but i know what you mean, sometimes when i make something and i see it to be crooked no matter what anyone tells i can't be convinced otherwise.
having said that, remember that the imperfections in one's work makes it unique, so please don't give it to your son to put rocks in...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
melidomi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2004 07:07:23 AM »

Baglady, that bag is beautiful!  Remember, symmetry is boring Wink  
I'm not really sure what you mean by the corners go up when you're sewing.  If you want to be really anal about the symmetry thing, I suggest a protracter.  Just like in geometry class.  Actually measure the angles you want to stitch and trace them with tailors chalk or something and stitch right on the line.  I'm not entirely sure if that's possible with this particular design, but it's the best I could come up with.

As for your ribbon issue, could you maybe find some matching beads or flat backed marbles and glue one over the gap and then some more at regularly spaced intervals around the ribbon?  Maybe even just one at each end?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
second-hand-smoke
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2004 07:11:49 AM »

i see what you are talking about - the side on the left in the picture bows out a bit towards the top when compared to the other side. but here's the thing - i ONLY see it because you told me to look for it, and i had to look long and hard to find the "flaw". i think you are being overly critical. part of the inherent beauty in a handmade thing is that it isn't "perfect". it isn't made by a machine, it is made by human hands, and that is what makes it special. i think the bag is wonderful. its colors, its design, the way it goes together... really. it's beautiful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

second hand smoke: Recycle-Remix-Refresh
http://secondhandsmoke-stuff.com
BagLady
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2004 09:42:02 PM »

You all are just too nice  Wink to me it was a disaster, but thanks to you guys I finally saw a little potential in this bag!
Baglady, that bag is beautiful!  Remember, symmetry is boring Wink  
I'm not really sure what you mean by the corners go up when you're sewing.  If you want to be really anal about the symmetry thing, I suggest a protracter.  Just like in geometry class.  Actually measure the angles you want to stitch and trace them with tailors chalk or something and stitch right on the line.  I'm not entirely sure if that's possible with this particular design, but it's the best I could come up with.

As for your ribbon issue, could you maybe find some matching beads or flat backed marbles and glue one over the gap and then some more at regularly spaced intervals around the ribbon?  Maybe even just one at each end?
corners go up - lol, why would I word it like that? I was so frustrated I couldn't even think! What I meant was, when you sew this style of bag around the top it's not just straight across - the top corners go out as you can tell, so when it's flat they kind of go up into a point and that just messes me all up!

for the ribbon issue - i have to say, that was ingenius! I quickly ransacked my stash only to find NOTHING to use... so I sat and thought and just looked at what I had and I spotted some cute thin sage green ribbon... i have been wanting to do some cute little bows on a bag for awhile now, so what the heck - I made two bows and put them at each corner. I thought it might be too much, but it couldn't be any worse! I still don't know, it's different. Somebody might like it, eh?  Smiley

still not happy with the symmetry of it, but oh well.. once it has stuff inside it won't be as noticeable, I'm sure.

shs - thanks - I know I am *so* critical of my own work, it drives me crazy! I see other peoples things and sometimes I can see obvious flaws, but I have no problem overlooking theirs, it's *mine* I can't stand, LoL... I guess that's something I'll have to work on!

Thank you all
 Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

GracieTom: Original Handbags, Totes & Accessories Galore | www.gracietom.com |

Affordable website design & logo development | www.lisettedesign.com |
klippedwingz

Are you a Llama, I asked my friend, Dave?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2004 05:08:28 AM »

I was thinking when looking at the pics that once you get stuff in it it might  not be noticeable at all ( it barely is now ! I had to look hard)  I thiink the bag is stunning and the fabric is fab ! Since I'm not a bow person I would make a beaded flower or dragonfly and just put over the flaws.  POst more bags as you make them !!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pixelpusher
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2004 01:04:09 PM »

I have to say... I am a huge perfectionist too, and I had to re-look a few times to see what you are talking about with the slightly off kilter angle...  Although it is nearly undetectable (even to us "trained eyes") its one of those things that would drive me nuts too.   Is your fabric slipping when you are sewing the side seams?  Are you sewing the side seams both in the same direction?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

retrokitten
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2004 04:26:44 PM »

As everyone else has said, it's very slight.  And I'm one of those that notices every single little imperfection in my own work as well.  If the problem is that the fabric is slipping when you sew as Pixelpusher said, you could try hand-basting it first.  But really, it looks great. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get Your Film Financed
How to Make an International Ransom Video
How to Cry Convincingly on Stage
How to Direct Actors
How to Digitize Super 8mm
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...