A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 296,642
Currently Running With Scissors:
654 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Learn To Knit-Along?  (Read 4644 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Kamehi
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2012 04:52:14 AM »

Casting on to a regular needle, slip knots...
http://youtu.be/7Iv03nRS8xU

Knitting with Circular needles...
http://youtu.be/zUxXOMnpTzk

A second method for Casting on, also Knit stitch, binding off...
http://youtu.be/3uw-nUvGrBY

Purl Stitch...
http://youtu.be/MAMD_XpybQY

I'm using these methods to make the leg warmers I posted in my previous post (above this one). Hope these help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A fashionista at heart, a practical gal by nature! Queen of crochet <3
Kamehi
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2012 08:57:09 AM »

Okay, so after trying to start the legwarmers on a circular needle, I decided perhaps it was better to use regular needles like the pattern calls for. I like the idea of seamless leg warmers but I really struggled with keeping the circular needle and the yarn and the stitches organized and straight. In mental concept it's not hard to master, but reality was a whole different story!

I am off to the store to by some normal needles :0)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

puamelia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

A NEW day, a NEW doll... another poppet!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2012 01:46:01 PM »

Kamehi, thanks for the link s. How are those leg warmers going?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yay for summer break = swapping fun!

Kids Craft and Swap Round 7, squared!
Kamehi
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2012 04:17:46 PM »

They are going well so far! I only have about 4 inches on one done. I have to put them on hold because my mom requested a knitted shrug for Christmas.  She liked this one, which happens to be another great beginning knit pattern!
http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/L10061.html?utm_source=20120907_Sept07&utm_medium=Emails&utm_campaign=Weeklynewsletter&utm_content=P-BasicShrug

The shrug is going well. I have about 12 inches finished and I think I might make myself one later because it's so soft and cozy feeling.  I'm using the recommended yarn and circular needles.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Rodelphia
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2012 07:17:15 PM »

my sister and i caved and took knitting classes, but they were well worth it! i have been able to knit myself a garter stitch cowl out of some of my handspun, and i made my daughter a little hat with k2p2 ribbing! i was very proud of myself for that one. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pammom
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2013 01:43:03 PM »

I am interested too! I have only made scarves on straight needles.
I would love to learn short rows, cables, and socks (dpn's).

THIS ROCKS   Logged
TkRainy

Everybody wants a big ol' slice of a little pie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2013 11:00:17 PM »

I learned how to knit 2 times... Once when I was about 12/13 taught by my stepmoms mother, then again when I was 17. I just stopped knitting the first time because I didn't know what I was doing after that spring break of hanging out with people I could ask, plus I didn't have money for yarn. Then I decided I wanted to try it out again. So, on to the internet!

I haven't had to ask my stepmoms mother (Sorry, can't bring myself to call her grandma) for any help at all. I've only used the internet. I had some trouble figuring out how to properly purl: I was wrapping the yarn to the RIGHT of the needle in order to bring it to the front, and this was wrapping the yarn all the way around whatever I was knitting. I couldn't figure out that you just needed to pull it to the LEFT and BETWEEN the needles... Before that, I was also accidentally knitting instead of purling.

After that, though, I was good. It's been 3 years, and I have been going slowly... I made some basic scarves, and gave them away. I made some lace washclothes, and gave those away. I made some hats, and gave though away. I made a sweater, and kept that for myself. Now, I'm working on a simple, reverse pinwheel blanket for my BF's birthday. I would definitely suggest starting with a scarf or a washcloth on straight needles, and a simple hat for circular needles.

Also, do your research! I tried making a hat with MUCH bigger needles than the pattern said, and I don't even know why I thought that would work... Obviously, the hat was much too big. Also, the difference between 32 inch long circulars and 16 inch ones... You CANNOT make a hat on 32s unless you learn the "magic loop" method (Or using 2 circ's at a time), which I haven't bothered doing because I don't mind using double pointed needles. Yeah, I got 32 inch long circs and didn't even realize why that wasn't going to work for a hat...

Anyways, I hope I helped anyone out... There's plenty of trial and error when learning to knit, so please don't let that discourage you! Start with easy and fast projects first! If you're trying a new stitch, make a practice piece first so you don't get to the middle of the project and mess up!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Chewy Coconut Macaroons
Victoria Sponge Cake Recipe
Easy Monkey Bread Recipe
Glow-In-The-Dark Ice Cream
How to Make a Sweet Cranberry Cobbler
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...