A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,034
Currently Running With Scissors:
578 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Learn To Knit-Along?  (Read 4752 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Kamehi
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2012 04:52:14 AM »

Casting on to a regular needle, slip knots...
http://youtu.be/7Iv03nRS8xU

Knitting with Circular needles...
http://youtu.be/zUxXOMnpTzk

A second method for Casting on, also Knit stitch, binding off...
http://youtu.be/3uw-nUvGrBY

Purl Stitch...
http://youtu.be/MAMD_XpybQY

I'm using these methods to make the leg warmers I posted in my previous post (above this one). Hope these help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A fashionista at heart, a practical gal by nature! Queen of crochet <3
Kamehi
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2012 08:57:09 AM »

Okay, so after trying to start the legwarmers on a circular needle, I decided perhaps it was better to use regular needles like the pattern calls for. I like the idea of seamless leg warmers but I really struggled with keeping the circular needle and the yarn and the stitches organized and straight. In mental concept it's not hard to master, but reality was a whole different story!

I am off to the store to by some normal needles :0)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

puamelia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

A NEW day, a NEW doll... another poppet!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2012 01:46:01 PM »

Kamehi, thanks for the link s. How are those leg warmers going?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yay for summer break = swapping fun!

Poppet vs Ami - partnered & stalking
Kids Craft and Swap Round 7, x2 - sent!
Kamehi
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2012 04:17:46 PM »

They are going well so far! I only have about 4 inches on one done. I have to put them on hold because my mom requested a knitted shrug for Christmas.  She liked this one, which happens to be another great beginning knit pattern!
http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/L10061.html?utm_source=20120907_Sept07&utm_medium=Emails&utm_campaign=Weeklynewsletter&utm_content=P-BasicShrug

The shrug is going well. I have about 12 inches finished and I think I might make myself one later because it's so soft and cozy feeling.  I'm using the recommended yarn and circular needles.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Rodelphia
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2012 07:17:15 PM »

my sister and i caved and took knitting classes, but they were well worth it! i have been able to knit myself a garter stitch cowl out of some of my handspun, and i made my daughter a little hat with k2p2 ribbing! i was very proud of myself for that one. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pammom
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2013 01:43:03 PM »

I am interested too! I have only made scarves on straight needles.
I would love to learn short rows, cables, and socks (dpn's).

THIS ROCKS   Logged
TkRainy

Everybody wants a big ol' slice of a little pie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2013 11:00:17 PM »

I learned how to knit 2 times... Once when I was about 12/13 taught by my stepmoms mother, then again when I was 17. I just stopped knitting the first time because I didn't know what I was doing after that spring break of hanging out with people I could ask, plus I didn't have money for yarn. Then I decided I wanted to try it out again. So, on to the internet!

I haven't had to ask my stepmoms mother (Sorry, can't bring myself to call her grandma) for any help at all. I've only used the internet. I had some trouble figuring out how to properly purl: I was wrapping the yarn to the RIGHT of the needle in order to bring it to the front, and this was wrapping the yarn all the way around whatever I was knitting. I couldn't figure out that you just needed to pull it to the LEFT and BETWEEN the needles... Before that, I was also accidentally knitting instead of purling.

After that, though, I was good. It's been 3 years, and I have been going slowly... I made some basic scarves, and gave them away. I made some lace washclothes, and gave those away. I made some hats, and gave though away. I made a sweater, and kept that for myself. Now, I'm working on a simple, reverse pinwheel blanket for my BF's birthday. I would definitely suggest starting with a scarf or a washcloth on straight needles, and a simple hat for circular needles.

Also, do your research! I tried making a hat with MUCH bigger needles than the pattern said, and I don't even know why I thought that would work... Obviously, the hat was much too big. Also, the difference between 32 inch long circulars and 16 inch ones... You CANNOT make a hat on 32s unless you learn the "magic loop" method (Or using 2 circ's at a time), which I haven't bothered doing because I don't mind using double pointed needles. Yeah, I got 32 inch long circs and didn't even realize why that wasn't going to work for a hat...

Anyways, I hope I helped anyone out... There's plenty of trial and error when learning to knit, so please don't let that discourage you! Start with easy and fast projects first! If you're trying a new stitch, make a practice piece first so you don't get to the middle of the project and mess up!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Cucumber Raita
How to Make a Mongolian Cabbage Salad
At Home with our Mongolian Chef Odnoo Celik
How to Make Mongolian Buuz Dumplings
How to Make Chinese Beef and Tomatoes
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...