A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,074
Currently Running With Scissors:
706 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Learn To Knit-Along?  (Read 4757 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mechanicalprincess
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2011 08:34:11 PM »

I would love to join! I'm thinking about making a scarf first.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mechanicalprincess
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2011 10:02:46 AM »

Alright, I bought my basic supplies today and have attempted to knit for the first time. I've got the cast-on and first row down pretty much, but once I start my second row I get stuck. It seems like my top loop is too tight and won't allow me to knit it! Anyone have this problem? What am I doing wrong?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PenguinSoup
Tutorial Contributor

Reject only your ignorance, and you may survive.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2011 11:09:13 PM »

Knitting really tight is normal for beginner knitters. Try changing the way you hold your yarn to adjust tension. I wrap it once around my pinky finger and then knit or some people weave it in and out of their fingers for tension. Try not to hold too tight.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

indigo_roses
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2011 09:51:56 PM »

I'm learning how to knit! I taught myself (via youtube videos) how to cast on and do the knit stitch, and then made what I'm calling a dish towel all in knit stitch. Then last night at my LYS one of my yarn buddies taught me how to bind off. She then taught me how to purl, too! I've made 2 1/2 dishcloths total. The first one was stockinette, the second was 2x2 rib, and the one I'm working on now is k1,p1 (I think it's called moss or seed stitch?). I figured I'd make a bunch of dishcloths to work out the different (most common) stitches. It's a plus that I actually could use some new dishcloths.  Smiley Anything more complex will probably have to wait until after Christmas. Or, at least until all my Christmas crafting is done.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest
50 in 2013 18/50

Taking a break from swapping to focus on crafting for myself, friends, and charity
jlu88
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2012 04:34:51 PM »

I'd be down too! I started learning around Christmas, and I think I've got the basics down. But it'd always be great to know for sure.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Hydroviolet
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2012 09:24:48 AM »

I would love for this to take off. I have a book on knitting which I'm struggling with. I work better with videos that I can pause and replay so YouTube has definitely helped me. The last 2 'easy' knitting patterns I have purchased have been anything but easy and it would be good to have a place to ask questions!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
puamelia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

A NEW day, a NEW doll... another poppet!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2012 10:38:31 AM »

Just wanted to say thanks, this is a great idea, I could definitely use some help. I've done a few scarves so I am able to cast on, knit, purl and bind off (the last two with the book in front of me). I would like to learn more and I think the dishcloths as swatches is an awesome idea! Bookmarking this, hoping for more... Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yay for summer break = swapping fun!

Poppet vs Ami - crafting
Kids Craft and Swap Round 7, x2 - sent! 1 received, 1 waiting
Rodelphia
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2012 05:00:10 PM »

bookmark here for me too! i've been trying to learn to knit, but i always get ahead of myself and end up just ripping it all out and finding a crochet pattern instead. Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Megz1027
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2012 02:46:18 PM »

I would love to learn to knit. I know how to crochet already and have basics of knitting I learned from youtube.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kamehi
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2012 04:39:09 AM »

Found this thread yesterday and was so encouraged to see so many people wanting to learn to knit too! Like me :0)  I started searching for patterns that only used basic stitches and stumbled upon another Crafster knitting thread for a Leg warmer pattern!  http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=272427.0

I tried knitting a handful of years ago but was to preoccupied with my school stuff at the time. I remember learning knit and purl stitches and that was it! The leg warmers only require those two so I'm set!  I'll post a couple Youtube videos I found that helped me to relearn the two basic stitches as well as casting on.  I haven't looked up how to cast off yet because I've only JUST started :0)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A fashionista at heart, a practical gal by nature! Queen of crochet <3
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Artist Lorenzo Durán Brings Leaves Back to Life Through Art
Inmates in Ohio Enroll in a Crochet Program
A Man Builds a Dollhouse for His Daughter
How to Make Subway Art
Toilet Paper Roll Artwork
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...