A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News:  Vote now for your favorite craft challenge entry!  THREE amazing Ticketmaster prizes up for grabs this month.  Who will get one?
Total Members: 301,658
Currently Running With Scissors:
439 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Feed A Cold: What to eat for cold/flu/allergies/sinus pressure  (Read 679 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cinnamon teal
« on: May 26, 2011 01:09:30 PM »

I'm getting over the flu right now. Not the stomach flu. No, this is the achy-exhausted-feel-like-you-got-hit-by-a-truck variety of flu, complete with sore throat, headache, cough and congestion. (Woo! Fun times!) So I'm getting over it and all of a sudden the pollen count skyrockets and I get hit with allergies on top of it. Yay for sinus pressure, another headache and more congestion! Sad So my question to you is, what do you like to eat when you have a head cold from hell? My favorite so far is a simple, spicy noodle soup that takes about 15 minutes to make, including boiling the water. Here's the recipe.

Sinus clearing ginger and cayenne noodle soup for one:

- In one medium/small pot bring some water to a rolling boil. Add a handful of thin rice noodles (also called rice stick, found in the asian section of your supermarket) and boil for 3 minutes. Drain and transfer to a good sized soup bowl. (I have also used ramen noodles with good results. Throw away the flavor packet because it's mostly msg.)

- At the same time, in a second small pot, bring 2 cups of your favorite broth to a boil.
- Toss in a bunch of cayenne powder and powdered ginger. (I never measure but I probably use about 1/2 tsp of each.)
- Add some garlic in whatever form floats your boat. Since it's spring, I've been using minced green garlic, which is like green onions, but from garlic plants.
- Add some veggies if you like. I usually add diced carrots to mine.
- If you want some protein in your soup, you can also add some chopped, precooked meat or an egg. Once, I poached an egg in the broth and it turned out pretty good! Shrimp would also be lovely.

- After a couple of minutes, pour the broth over noodles in your bowl and season with a dash of soy sauce, a drizzle of sesame oil, a little rice wine vinegar and some thinly sliced green onion.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TroubleT
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

No try, just do.

I'm the Irish Latina Ninja!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011 01:34:40 PM »

My favorite flu sick food is simple, Cream of Wheat. It's filling, not rich and the warmth helps my head. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011 07:26:48 AM »

I came down with some cold bug about 5 years back and all I could eat was chili and peanut butter sandwiches for weeks! Back then I was still a chef, and planning menus was absolutely nauseating. Worst bug ever!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dai-chan
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011 09:04:02 PM »

I think the best food for congestion is chile. Not chili the soup thing but actually chile the veggie (fruit? it has seeds...). Probably any spicy food is good though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
N3rdyGirl
Browncoat

Fangirls Rule The World

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011 12:08:46 AM »

Wonton soup and crunchy noodles dipped in spicy Chinese mustard are my faves for a cold.  The mustard clears out a blocked nose in a heartbeat, and I've always preferred wonton soup as my comfort food of choice over chicken noodle.  It's just as easy to make as chicken noodle soup--just use pre-made frozen wontons instead of noodles, and either pork or shrimp instead of chicken.  

« Last Edit: June 08, 2011 12:09:32 AM by N3rdyGirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'm the one who gripped you tight and raised you from Perdition." ~Castiel

"Pudding!" ~Dean Winchester
myloveasdeep
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011 06:38:12 AM »

I make chicken-tomato-garlic soup.

1 can of diced tomatoes
half that can of water
a chicken boullion cube (you could use chicken broth instead of the water if you have it)
as much minced fresh garlic as you can stand
a healthy dose of lime juice
some bits of cooked chicken
hot something-red pepper flakes, fresh peppers, sriracha, and so on

Delicious and nose-clearing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/myloveasdeep/

Her dirty paws and furry coat,
She ran down the forest slope.
The forest of talking trees,
They used to sing about the birds and the bees.
The bees had declared a war,
The sky wasn't big enough for them all.
pixie24
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011 01:16:42 PM »

i was down with the flu this entire week. i actually still have the lingering cough and colds but thankfully, no more fever.

unlike most people who lose their appetite when they get sick, i crave so many things. i always want to eat. i think it's because food tastes so bland when you're sick so my mind kinda craves for all sorts of flavor. this past week i've been dreaming of some cherry pie, hainanese chicken rice, chili, chicken souvlaki, and cupcakes.

anyway, when anyone has the flu in our house our "go to" food is egg noodles in warm broth with some dumplings (i don't know exactly what kind. they sort of have shrimp, pork, and some veggies in it). i add some mildly spicy pork or beef in mine. it's not exactly healthy food but it's just comforting to eat with the warm broth. plus the spicy meat makes me feel like i can actually taste something.

another thing is lemon tea. just freshly squeezed lemon (or calamondin which we have tons of) with a little honey really does the trick for that nasty itch in the throat.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
Get Lost in a Book
Meatless Monday: Banana-Pineberry Bread
@Home This Weekend: Souvenir Tea Towel Pillow

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...