A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 301,489
Currently Running With Scissors:
451 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Am I increasing too fast for socks?  (Read 333 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ragdoll193
« on: May 25, 2011 06:08:22 PM »

I am making my first pair of socks (EVER) and I FINALLY think I understand the toe. I am working toe up, using Judy's magic cast on http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEspring06/FEATmagiccaston.html and I got all into making the toe and forgot to knit rows in between increase rows!

I am currently at 44 stitches when I started with 28, so 4 rows of increases. Should I keep going as I have been, increasing every row, or should I frog back (but I FINALLY got it!), or should I start knitting rows between increases now?

I know that whatever option I take, I need to do the same for the second sock. What would you all suggest I do?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

^♥^
♥the military will not stop me from crafting♥
Riki
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011 06:35:51 PM »

Actually, some patterns have you increasing on every row for most of the tow and then every other row for a few more rows - and I like that look better. My feeling is that you keep going until the sharpest part of the toe is done, then go to every other row for the final 3-4 increases.

Also, really the key question is how does it look to you? The main thing to me is that I don't like a pointy toe. If you started with 12 stitches or so, your toe won't be pointy so you should be fine.

In other words - no need to frog!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tephra
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011 06:58:56 PM »

The toe I use on most of my socks is to cast on about one third of the total stitches I want for the sock (so 20 stitches for a sock that will have 60 stitches in a round), then increase every round for the next third (to 40 sts) and then every other round for the last third (to 60). This makes a short, rounded, toe on the sock, which works well with my short toes and wide foot.

So, yes, you can just start increasing every other row now, just make sure to write down what you did so your other sock will match (if you aren't doing both at once like I tend to do).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ragdoll193
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011 06:35:08 AM »

Thanks, guys!

I am actually frogging this sock a bit... I made it far too big! My gauge was what the pattern called for (8 sts/in) and I was supposed to increase to 72 sts. I made it to 60 and it's HUGE! If anything, I was knitting tighter than usual, too so I have no clue what happened!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

^♥^
♥the military will not stop me from crafting♥
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Sound in After Effects
How to Use The Liquefy Filter
Photoshop CS4 new features
How to Open More Than One Image in Photoshop
How to Create Panoramas in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Mirror Wall
January 21, 2015 Featured Projects
January 21st is Squirrel Appreciation Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...