A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 296,695
Currently Running With Scissors:
598 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ripley's Believe It Or Not! Wants My Dress...Update  (Read 14386 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

matuta

separated and now back again

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 03, 2011 02:02:27 AM »

You know though, there's no guarantee that they actually are trying to low ball her because of this thread. They may just flat out be trying to low ball her because she's young and they think they can get away with it because of that.

I am assuming that they found out about her and her dresses on this site. If they are doing their job than they would have seen this thread. Just my opinion. I just find it interesting that the price wasn't stated right at the beginning when they were first interested and only came way after this thread was posted. Most people would want to share exciting news and they might have waited for her to react. PLUS, her initial post was that they were interested in the pop tab dress and NOW it includes both ... they did their homework, trust me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Fullmoon
Femailler

Artistic Spazzmatazz

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #71 on: June 03, 2011 02:14:20 AM »

You know though, there's no guarantee that they actually are trying to low ball her because of this thread. They may just flat out be trying to low ball her because she's young and they think they can get away with it because of that.

I am assuming that they found out about her and her dresses on this site. If they are doing their job than they would have seen this thread. Just my opinion. I just find it interesting that the price wasn't stated right at the beginning when they were first interested and only came way after this thread was posted. Most people would want to share exciting news and they might have waited for her to react. PLUS, her initial post was that they were interested in the pop tab dress and NOW it includes both ... they did their homework, trust me.

While I'd still say it's not 100% likely, I am definitely willing to retract my prior statement because you pose a very good point.

I think she should go with what the others were suggesting about getting a lawyer (and charging at least an extra 1k to pay the lawyer fees), that's going to be her best bet right now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Facebook fan page: http://www.facebook.com/lunaestrelladesign/
Deviantart: http://melonpan-alichan.deviantart.com/

Will happily do personal swaps Smiley I'm busy so I may be a bit slow, but I do enjoy swapping <3
Lillibet
« Reply #72 on: June 05, 2011 09:28:15 AM »

At the same time, surely by reading this thread they've seen that she's being advised by a large majority to go for far more money than that, and that she has a very vocal, supportive group who are willing to help her get what they (as experts in handmade goods!) see as a fair price?

In that case, it seems counter-productive of them to offer her that money, knowing she would likely post the offer on here and be told "no, no way, that's ridiculously low, do not accept it".

I also think that this thread would have been helpful to Ripley's as well, as people who know lots about handmade and ooak goods are posting their opinions of the "right" price, and justifying it well, and that if they had found this, they may have been better informed and made a better offer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Fullmoon
Femailler

Artistic Spazzmatazz

« Reply #73 on: June 05, 2011 03:37:58 PM »

At the same time, surely by reading this thread they've seen that she's being advised by a large majority to go for far more money than that, and that she has a very vocal, supportive group who are willing to help her get what they (as experts in handmade goods!) see as a fair price?

In that case, it seems counter-productive of them to offer her that money, knowing she would likely post the offer on here and be told "no, no way, that's ridiculously low, do not accept it".

I also think that this thread would have been helpful to Ripley's as well, as people who know lots about handmade and ooak goods are posting their opinions of the "right" price, and justifying it well, and that if they had found this, they may have been better informed and made a better offer.

Wouldnt this mean there is a missing piece to the puzzle then?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will happily do personal swaps Smiley I'm busy so I may be a bit slow, but I do enjoy swapping <3
CeeJayRose
« Reply #74 on: June 10, 2011 06:37:06 PM »

I sure hope you don't sell both for that price!! That's waaaaaaay too low! Expecially dresses like that. I would charge $450 for one of my custom made fabric dresses! Taking into consideration time to draft the pattern, then make plus materials. A dress like yours (or both) are worth a hell of a lot more than $450 for both.

I hope you update us whenever things are sorted out and decided. Good luck. Smiley

PS And congrats!! Very exciting news! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mommabear1963

Life is a Long Lesson in Humility"Isaac Asimov"

« Reply #75 on: June 22, 2011 10:31:49 AM »

I agree that is too low.  At the least $500 each is still on the low side but maybe more reasonable to them. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Amber Rose

Crafting is my happy time

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 24, 2011 09:38:56 PM »

sell it for more than $450. If you think about it, it would only work out to be $4.50 ish per hour you spent making it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Crying Goddess
Rocking CraftAngel

Every girl is her own goddess

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 23, 2011 10:42:58 AM »

Do you know how many tabs you've used? Calculate how much it would cost to buy that many cans, then figure out roughly how long you spent doing it and add that to the price. Then add a bit of profit, it's so good!

It's almost 4000 tabs, and I honestly didn't buy one soda for my dress, they were all donated...But I spent over 100 hours on it...So what I'm understanding is if a can of soda's $0.25 it's already $1000, which I think that's a little much...I don't really know though.

If you feel it's worth $1000 then go for that (my better half says try for $5000 max)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Quote from: kjlutz
Craftster: Lovingly Breaking up Families in the name of Craft since Challenge 50

Please vote for my Redstone torch for challenge 96:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=431999.0#axzz2vJFPpJwN
dur30cat
« Reply #78 on: September 09, 2011 03:07:01 AM »

Congrats! All that awesome work!

Actually just another alternative...is there any way where you can speak to the museums or art associations to see if you could have sponsors to have these pcs as exhibition pieces? Just exhibit ticket sales alone may well be over the amounts offered by Ripley's and you still own them.

Anything under US$1000 per piece is just too little. The fees should not be just for the production efforts but also your idea conceptualizing.

If you want to sell to them, you also need to consider to put in clauses that give you royalties if they make replicas for mass sales.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck in whatever decision you make!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knitting & crochet in Singapore? Definitely possible... check my weblog
Fullmoon
Femailler

Artistic Spazzmatazz

« Reply #79 on: September 14, 2011 08:06:07 PM »

Im curious to hear an update for this
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Book Cover Designs Tips - Part 4
Book Cover Designs Tips - Part 3
How to Add Flesh Tone to a Fashion Drawing
Drawing Clothes on a Fashion Figure
Drawing a Fashion Figure
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...