A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 304,744
Currently Running With Scissors:
715 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ripley's Believe It Or Not! Wants My Dress...Update  (Read 14897 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Fullmoon
Femailler

Artistic Spazzmatazz

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #60 on: June 01, 2011 10:18:58 PM »

I agree with rainbowsewist.

Explain to them about the cost of time materials etc and fight 'em on it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Facebook fan page: http://www.facebook.com/lunaestrelladesign/
Deviantart: http://melonpan-alichan.deviantart.com/

Will happily do personal swaps Smiley I'm busy so I may be a bit slow, but I do enjoy swapping <3
Circlesofstone
« Reply #61 on: June 02, 2011 04:40:05 AM »

I'm very disappointed in the price they quoted you and that's for two dresses? If you spent 100 hours just creating the poptab dress that would be $4.50 an hour minus material cost! Are they williing to negotiate or is that a firm price?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lindsycarranza

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: June 02, 2011 10:06:40 AM »

That's is way undercut, It's kinda like taking advantage because I'm sure they think you're young, never sold anything like this, etc.... At least take how much you worked on it (materials also) and value that at a good rate ($$ per hour) and that should be your minimum. But they want both dresses that's very cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Okay so once again I am completely redoing my pictures. Got tired of photobucket, the only reason I used it was for here so I decided I will just use Craftster's photo uploader. So while I am switching over my photo links will be broken. Message me if there is a post you would like the pics for.
solid_silver_cloud
« Reply #63 on: June 02, 2011 11:13:41 AM »

You made the dresses so I agree that the money has to be enough so that you want that more than you want the dresses! $450 for two hand-made dresses sounds absolutely crazy to me! I'd expect double that!
Its really cool they want the dresses though! kudos!
Also remember they might not want you to tell people how much they pay you....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator
Toys, Dolls, and Playthings Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: June 02, 2011 01:35:08 PM »

Okay, so we've been sorta emailing (Okay they've been emailing my dad) and they want $450 for the set (my Doritos one and the pop tab one)...Fair price? I know it's a lot less than what everyone on here's been saying...But I mean, I don't know.

That is absolutely not at all a fair price for both dresses. It's not really even a good price for one dress!  Either get them to come up significantly or don't bother, is my personal opinion.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

onceinlovewithAmy
« Reply #65 on: June 02, 2011 01:57:09 PM »

Any update on this?

My suggestion would be to watch Pawn Stars or some other show where there's a bit of haggling--just to give you an idea of how to approach this. $450 is nothing; if I were you I would have been offended that they wanted it for so little. Your time and effort are worth way more than that, and materials alone are more. Think of it this way: if you were to go into business making these dresses, you'd lose over $600 on each dress--just in materials, not to mention your time. That's not sustainable by a long shot, and in my opinion it's unreasonable to ask you to do something that isn't sustainable.

If you let them give you $450 for it, remember that they'll make that back in a couple of hours of admission fees at just one of their museums. That's not fair by a long shot.

You're 17--so what? You're an artist; your age doesn't define you, nor does it overshadow your talent, ability, or worth.

Shoot an offer back at them. If they want it bad enough, they'll raise their offer--and I totally agree. Don't accept less than $5000 for it! It's worth more and you're worth more. If you can't make a deal, that's just one lost sale--if you're "only" 17 and already getting offers from big names like Ripley's, I'm sure there will be others!

And congratulations on such a cool opportunity! I hope it works out for you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AshtonagoL
« Reply #66 on: June 02, 2011 02:04:15 PM »

Awesome!!!  Congratulations!  I didn't read the other replies but here are my thoughts.  #1-that is not near enough money.  I'm sure Ripley's can afford to pay you much more!  #2-How sentimental are the dresses to you?  Will you someday regret not having them in you possession to share with your daughters/granddaughters? (I know that's hard to answer when you're 17 though).  #3-If you did decide to sell to Ripley's, I would want to know what they are going to do with them and what happens to them should they decide to no longer display them.  I'd die if I found out they go in the trash when they are through with them!  #4-Any other museums that might potentially want them?  Whatever you decide, that is sooo exciting!
Edited to add:  #5-What is a regular prom dress going for these days?  I'm guessing it's a lot more than what they're willing to pay you.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011 02:06:39 PM by AshtonagoL » THIS ROCKS   Logged

matuta

separated and now back again

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 02, 2011 09:22:28 PM »

This is why I suggested that you shouldn't have posted this thread ... they have probably been reading your thoughts and the responses and figured they could low ball you since you were so confused as to what the dress was worth. They had the upper hand because they saw your cards. It is unfortunate.
You should not have to defend why you put any price on your dresses. It's not the time, the materials etc that are of value in this case. It is the fact that you are an artist, not just a crafty person and as such you created a unique piece worth paying admission to see. Respond with the price that you think you deserve and go from there.
I am sure that now that you have gotten the attention from Ripley's that it is not inconceivable that someone else may approach you. Use this experience as motivation to create something bigger and better while you wait to see what they respond. If they accept your counter, great!. If they don't, then c'est la vie, and learn from this. Don't question your talent, they didn't when they approached you first. But when you questioned the value because of your age etc ... than they went with that.
Regardless, don't accept the $450, it is an insult.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Fullmoon
Femailler

Artistic Spazzmatazz

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #68 on: June 02, 2011 10:06:13 PM »

You know though, there's no guarantee that they actually are trying to low ball her because of this thread. They may just flat out be trying to low ball her because she's young and they think they can get away with it because of that.

I'd like to know if there's been an update on this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Facebook fan page: http://www.facebook.com/lunaestrelladesign/
Deviantart: http://melonpan-alichan.deviantart.com/

Will happily do personal swaps Smiley I'm busy so I may be a bit slow, but I do enjoy swapping <3
Alexus1325
« Reply #69 on: June 02, 2011 10:09:30 PM »

I have been following all this with bated breath and I'm FLABBERGASTED that they would offer you so little!!!! Those bastards!!!!

Not to say that my gut feeling is right, but if I were you I'd tell this so-called negotiator/acquirer/whatever that they can purchase the Dorito's dress for something significantly higher than that (say maybe $1000), but you won't be negotiating the price of the COUTURE pop-tab gown until they decide that they actually want it. And it IS couture. You hand-fabricated it to custom specifications.

If they decide to take you seriously and actually want to buy it, I third the motion to contact a lawyer. You should write up a contract that if they go to sell it again, they MUST offer to sell it back to you first. I know this is possible because I know of a situation where a plot of inherited land can't be sold without being offered to certain family members in a certain order. If no one in the family wants to buy, only then can it go on the market. And this was stipulated in a last will and testament, notarized by a lawyer. Just be aware that you need to charge an extra $1000 to pay for the lawyer.

Honestly, try contacting the MET or other modern art museum and see if they'd like to lease your gown for display. I just popped on the MET's website and they're currently displaying pieces by McQueen. That way you'll make a little cash, tonnes of people will see your gown, AND you'll get it back.

I really wish the best for you, and regardless of how this situation works out, I'm sure you'll be making many more stunning pieces of wearable art in the future Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Achieve the Glittery Eye Look
How to Apply False Lashes
Go to Makeup for Any Occasion
How to Get a Birthday Look with a Smokey Eye
Everything You Need to Know About Contouring
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek
October 15, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...