A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,316
Currently Running With Scissors:
557 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ripley's Believe It Or Not! Wants My Dress...Update  (Read 16569 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

samann1121

samann1121.etsy.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2011 10:25:12 AM »

Honestly? I'd go with what Vecrutzi said, then double it.  That would be low-ball retail.  Don't feel bad about asking too much for it -- they have a lot of money, and they want to buy it to display it, and therefore make money off of it themselves!  I don't think starting negotiations at $6000 or $7000 is crazy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chanemza
Your temper brings dishonor to my happy mushu palace.

Chick of The Sea

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2011 10:25:39 AM »

Amen, Islapiko!  I'd totally let them know the time and effort put into it, plus the number of tabs, plus the sentimental value.. and then say "Please take these things into consideration, and kindly send me an offer you feel appropriate."  I guarantee it'll be more than you expect.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jatoha
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2011 10:31:52 AM »

Congratulations!  You deserve the attention!

If you want my opinion, my first thought was $5,000. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jennique
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2011 10:38:33 AM »

$.25 for a can of pop? Where do you live and when can I move there? You'd have to pay .60 (if its an OLD machine) to a $1 here from a vending machine, and at least .50 to buy them bulk in the grocery store.

I also agree you should really carefully consider the cost of labour. I live in a town supported by a nuclear power plant, and employees who mop floors and take out the garbage start at $30 cdn an hour, plus benefits and job security. Your labour would be considered skilled, so I would say you deserve WAY more than that.

I also agree you should ask for an offer but make sure you have a price in mind first.

I think you should be looking at the area of $8000-$10,000 as a starting asking price.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011 10:46:46 AM by jennique » THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~jenny

PennedByJenn.com / Create & Bake

writer. crafter. home decor enthusiast. baker. pasta maker.
Selnith
Ruler of Geek

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2011 10:45:51 AM »

Do NOT undersell yourself or your work, they came to you asking to buy it that means they have the money to do so, personally i'd go 5k+ at least, to account for materials, time, sentimental value etc. then i'd probably add another 1k to what you finally decide you want for it to give yourself some room to be haggled down  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
Jaeliyah
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2011 10:53:10 AM »

That's so flippin' awesome and WELL DESERVED.  Congratulations and well done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2011 11:14:50 AM »

I'm thinking you should go on the high side, and ask for 10,000$ to 15,000$ for it.  Because really, it's not just a dress. It's a dress like no other, it's got sentimental value, it was very labour intensive.  So they say that's to much, ten they make an offer instead.. Start high and go from there.  1000$ is way to low imho.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

silk81
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2011 11:51:10 AM »

Congratulations! This dress is truly amazing and I definitely think that you shouldn't start negotiating anywhere below $3000!
I'd propably start at least at $5000.
It's not that you simply want to sell your dress. They want to buy it! It was their idea and that makes a huge difference!

Go for it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I wish my lipstick was a little more ... HALLUCINOGENIC!

Join the Boy Clothes Sewalong
deanna732003
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2011 12:14:50 PM »

I agree not to under sell yourself.  You could regret going too low since this dress has sentimental value to you (being that you wore it for your prom).  I would say anywhere between $2000-$3000 would be a fair price for it, that works out to be around $20-$30 an hour for your labor if I read your blogs right and did my math right.  It is a beautiful piece of art!  Great job on it  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SoCraftyTal
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2011 12:19:46 PM »

I agree with Belladune. Your initial asking price should be around $10,000 - $15,000. Also, it's important to think about how low you are willing to go, and to keep that in the back of your mind.

When negotiating, remember, they reached out to you. You have the upper hand.

If they give you any type of push back on your initial asking price, you could tell them about the labor that went into the piece, as well as the fact that the piece is already SO popular and it's gaining more and more attention everyday. Let them know that in it's first month on Craftster it had close to 20,000 views! That is pretty sweet!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011 12:21:26 PM by SoCraftyTal » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want to get notified instantly when someone adds a project of yours as their favorite? Support Craftster and unlock more features as a Friend of Craftster!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
First Friday Of June Is National Donut Day
Puff Pastry Apple Tart Recipe
How to Make Oreo Style: Cookies & Cream Sandwich Biscuits
The Science Behind Pound Cake
Summertime Strawberry Icebox Pie
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!
Meatless Monday: Chia Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...