A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,892
Currently Running With Scissors:
553 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ripley's Believe It Or Not! Wants My Dress...Update  (Read 13819 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

DuctTapeRockStar
Maowzers.

Maowzers.

View Profile
« on: May 25, 2011 03:15:42 PM »

Update! Okay well I asked for, I believe it was $1500 (so we could negotiate it down a bit and I wouldn't be screwed) but they didn't take it and it ended there. However I'm planning on selling my other dresses sooo there will soon be a link to that post! Thanks for all your help!

Okay, so we've been sorta emailing (Okay they've been emailing my dad) and they want $450 for the set (my Doritos one and the pop tab one)...Fair price? I know it's a lot less than what everyone on here's been saying...But I mean, I don't know.

Okay, so I'm completely new to this portion of Craftster, but I thought it would be the best place to go!
Recently Ripley's Believe It Or Not! got in touch with me saying they're interested in buying my pop tab dress to display in one of their museums!!!! (Amazing since I very recently turned 17!)
Well, they asked me how much I wanted to sell my dress for, and I don't really know any idea how much! I mean, I'm young, so I don't know anything about selling my stuff...So I was wondering if you guys had any tips or suggestions for me.
Here's the link to it's Craftster post (too lazy to make the URL pretty and blend in with the text)...
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=378509.0

And here's just a picture of it for the tab!

Thank you guys so much!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012 06:32:45 PM by DuctTapeRockStar » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Greatness is more than potential. It is the execution of that potential. Beyond the raw talent. You need the appropriate training. You need the discipline. You need the inspiration. You need the drive."

~ Eric A. Burns
jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator
Toys, Dolls, and Playthings Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011 03:21:17 PM »

Holy crap.  Well whatever you end up thinking it's worth, double it, since there's only one. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PhotoholicFreak

Provehito in altum

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011 04:00:08 PM »

Do you know how many tabs you've used? Calculate how much it would cost to buy that many cans, then figure out roughly how long you spent doing it and add that to the price. Then add a bit of profit, it's so good!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DuctTapeRockStar
Maowzers.

Maowzers.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011 04:05:26 PM »

Do you know how many tabs you've used? Calculate how much it would cost to buy that many cans, then figure out roughly how long you spent doing it and add that to the price. Then add a bit of profit, it's so good!

It's almost 4000 tabs, and I honestly didn't buy one soda for my dress, they were all donated...But I spent over 100 hours on it...So what I'm understanding is if a can of soda's $0.25 it's already $1000, which I think that's a little much...I don't really know though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Greatness is more than potential. It is the execution of that potential. Beyond the raw talent. You need the appropriate training. You need the discipline. You need the inspiration. You need the drive."

~ Eric A. Burns
LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Sublime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011 04:11:30 PM »

Whoa! That's so awesome. A museum is a fit place for your dress. It's incredible!!! I think it's priceless Smiley.

Give yourself a generous hourly rate (you're more than a seamstress, you're an artist) and multiply that by the numerous hours I'm sure you spent. Tack-on the cost of materials and then double the whole thing as jungrrl suggests!

I say aim high - they can negotiate if they want and so can you.

Congrats!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fiddlegirl8

Sew, Sew Happy!!

Are you going to throw that away?! Can I have it?!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011 04:26:43 PM »

Congrats, DuctTapeRockStar!!!!  And to think, we knew you first!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Oh, give me a home where the buffalo roam...  (Kansas State Song)
mingus107
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011 05:14:13 PM »

YOU GO GIRL!!!! Please, I beg you- do not undersell yourself! You can always lower your asking price, but you can never ask for more once you've quoted a number. I am speaking from experience! I cannot tell you how many times I have agonized over giving someone a price, only to have them say, "oh cool, I thought it would be more".
Now I'm not suggesting you go all crazytown, but you have a one of a kind price of art!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
deruku
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011 05:19:17 PM »

They seem like they have a large amount of money, so I'd shoot high. Congratulations!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lindsycarranza

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011 06:47:05 PM »

Aim high, I'm sure they have an understanding that it took you a LONG time to make! I agree with all suggestions so far Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Okay so once again I am completely redoing my pictures. Got tired of photobucket, the only reason I used it was for here so I decided I will just use Craftster's photo uploader. So while I am switching over my photo links will be broken. Message me if there is a post you would like the pics for.
Cealy
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2011 06:50:12 PM »

What ever it costs for one year's tuition to University or College!!!
They have the money-have you been to one of their museums? They cost a fortune to get in! lol

DO NOT under sell yourself!!!
C
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Meet Author Matthew Reilly
Liza Marklund Talks About Writing Crime Novels
Meet Dr. Joseph Maroon
Neil Cross Talks About Natural History
Adriana Trigiani Talks About Very Valentine
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...