A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 302,072
Currently Running With Scissors:
718 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How do you swatch for lace? (About to start my first lace project ever)  (Read 308 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Nven
Also known as Aeramel

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: August 13, 2011 10:07:36 AM »

How do you swatch for lace?  I understand that the finished piece needs to be blocked to get the final shape, so the swatch should be blocked.  But how much can I expect it to stretch out?

I'm about to start my first lace shawl, http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEss10/PATTannis.php to be exact.  I have a skien of Malabrio lace that I want to use.  I only have the one which I recieved as a gift ages ago.  Guage is 15 stitches and 22 rows = 4 inches in Stockinette Stitch after blocking for the shawl.  I cast on 15sts and it was barely 2 inches.  Should I expect it to stretch out to 4 inches after blocking? I understand it will stretch some but 1.5 to 4 inches seems like a ways to go.  I also have only the one skien and don't want to loose to much of it to swatching.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Interested in personal swaps; offering knits for eco baby and mama items.
soozeq
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011 07:49:51 AM »

With any swatch you should CO more sts than given in the gauge; you're not supposed to be trying for a 4" square but find out how many sts in 4". For lace it's easier to measure by repeats, and I think this one has 12 or 14 sts in it. So CO about 30 sts, do a couple edge sts and 2 repeats of the lace pattern. With your Mal lace it'll grow a lot so do stretch out the swatch when you block it. As long as you're close, say the 2 repeats measure about 7-8" across, you'll be fine; a shawl isn't as crucial on gauge as a sweater. If it's not that width, however, and you only get 5-6", then you need to go up a needle size. That's the main point of a gauge swatch for a shawl - to see which needle to use. You can reuse your swatch btw, once you determine what size needle you need. You don't need to cut the swatch yarn off, just leave it attached while you block it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adam McOmber on The White Forest
Tips on Foods That Will Help You Stay Toned
SQuire Rushnellon His Book Divine Alignment
Michelle Hodkin on the Evolution of Mara Dyer
Forget Me Not Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Lamp Transformation
Book Review: Handmade for Baby
Tute Tuesday: Warm Those Piggies!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...