A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 298,774
Currently Running With Scissors:
511 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sewing rosettes on a nylon jersey spandex skirt (total n00b here... uh, hi!)  (Read 536 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

flinty
« on: May 24, 2011 08:53:27 PM »

I'm maid of honor in my best friend's wedding and she has recently fallen in love with Two Birds bridesmaids gowns, specifically, the rosette-trimmed tea-length dress (http://www.twobirdsbridesmaid.com/dress/rosette). I love it but it's $370! So I'm trying to convince her that she CAN trust some good etsy-based seamstress to make a bunch of similar dresses but I'm afraid she's going to fret about the quality of buying from someone who has never been featured in a wedding magazine (and end up having her bridesmaids shell out $370 per dress out of anxiety).

Here's my idea (and it's a bit harebrained): if I can prove to her that even I could make a passable copy of the Two Birds dress using similar fabric (and let's keep in mind that I've never sewed a single piece of clothing in my life), then maybe she would feel better about an etsy seller who has FAR more experience.

(this may also be my excuse to make an infinity dress for myself)

So my question is this: I think I can figure out how to make the dress and rosettes by myself just by reading tutorials on them (and, uh, on how to use a sewing machine). But what SHOULD I know about sewing a chiffon rosette trim onto a nylon jersey spandex skirt? Part of why the Two Birds dress is so pretty (imo) is because of the way the rosettes seem to influence the way the skirt falls. Do I have to worry about how heavy the rosettes are? Is there a special way of stitching them onto the fabric so that it doesn't pull at it in weird way? Should I sew the rosettes together first and then sew the whole bunch to the dress or is it preferable to just sew them on one by one? What dumb newbie mistake could I make that could ruin the dress?

Basically, is the process just "make a rosette, sew it on, relax, you're waaaay overthinking this, kid"?

Again, it just needs to be a half-decent copy of the dress so that she could relax in knowing that someone with skill would make one infinitely (haha) better!

Thanks in advance! (And I really tried to stay away from Craftster because OMG, so dangerous for a person who 1. likes pretty things and 2. is convinced that if she only set her mind to it, she can learn how to make anything.)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011 08:56:57 PM by flinty » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aislynn
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011 06:19:47 AM »

Okay, a couple of things...  First, infinity dresses are one of the EASIEST pieces of clothing to make, so I'm sure you can do it!  Just take a couple passes with the sewing machine over scrap fabric to get the hang of it before you start on your dress.  Second, how I'd do it, and I'm in no way a professional, is to make the rosettes individually and attach them separately.  I'd probably sew around in a circle around the base to get it on there good and tight, but not so close to the edges that it pulls the rosettes in funny ways.  If they're chiffon, and attached evenly around, they shouldn't do anything funny.  And third, make sure any Etsy seller you approaches can make exactly what you (and your friend!) want, within the price you determine is reasonable.  It sounds basic, but Etsy can get spendy!  Good luck!  And post pics of your finished product!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
flinty
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011 08:59:14 PM »

Thanks so much for the advice and encouraging words!

And yes, I am very, very, very familiar with how etsy gets spendy quickly. Wink (That being said, the dress she's eyeing for us costs about $370 each so... anything less spendy than that...)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pdxislander
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011 02:42:44 PM »

Yes, the perfect answer exactly -- with a blend like this I'd definitely recommend getting familiarized with tension settings on the machine, and that would be half of what you need to know.  And, that often can be the most puzzling thing on a sewing machine, is the tension adjustment:  practicing your sense of how to adjust accordingly will help you with future sewing projects so much!  good luck and have fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do Scrapbooking Techniques
How to Make Scrapbook Designs
How to Make Pre-made Scrapbook Pages
How to Put Together a Scrapbook
How to Put Together a Vintage Style Scrapbook
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...