A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,466
Currently Running With Scissors:
618 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Prevent worms in flour?  (Read 1886 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tr3kkie9rl
« on: May 24, 2011 08:37:04 AM »

Hi there - I'm about to buy 20 lbs of durum flour and I'm wondering if there are any creative gals who can help me figure out 1) how to store it and 2) how to keep those pesky worms out of it! I know that freezing it works, but I can't fit all 20 lbs in my freezer! Any other solutions/suggestions? I've read that bay leaves keep them away, does that really work? I'm willing to try anything!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

whoever i was
I'm not that person now
but what i wish i was
I'm still so far away from
LMAshton
Kitchen Witch

Canada -> Sri Lanka -> New Zealand -> Singapore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011 07:22:57 PM »

Yeah, worms in flour are nasty. Had to throw a bag out once it was so bad.

Since you mention you don't have room in your freezer for the whole lot, can you put portions into a zip lock bag, freeze for three days or so, then store it in an airtight container? Freezing the flour for a few days is supposed to kill any eggs or insects that are already there, thus preventing an outbreak.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tr3kkie9rl
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011 10:09:49 AM »

yes I've decided that's what I'm going to do. I bought a 5 gallon paint bucket (empty and clean of course) that I will dump the flour into once it's been in the freezer a few days. I guess I'll just have to do it in cycles and fit as much in my freezer at a time as I can until it's all in the paint bucket!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

whoever i was
I'm not that person now
but what i wish i was
I'm still so far away from
aliasgracie
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011 01:01:07 PM »

I have rubbermaid tubs for my flour and sugar and have never has worms! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Common sense is the collection of prejudices
- Albert Einstein

50 things 6/50
mrsflibble

will work for yarn

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011 02:35:35 AM »

can this freezing idea work on sushi rice too? 'cos I bought in bulk and it's all airtight sealed, but once I open a bag it's not gonna be sealed any more...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LMAshton
Kitchen Witch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011 02:45:35 PM »

Yup. It can work on pretty much anything.

ETA: Yeah, I should be more specific. There are limitations. Meat, for example, can still breed worms after it's taken out of the freezer. Bacteria survives freezing. Molds can survive freezing. It's not a foolproof way of killing absolutely everything bad. But yes, it can help with a lot of things.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011 02:47:08 PM by LMAshton » THIS ROCKS   Logged

ficklephonebug
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013 02:42:38 PM »

To keep pests out of stored rice...we use Double Bubble bubble gum. You do need to store you rice in an airtight container.  Buy the gum in a large bag, unwrap it, and toss the pieces into the rice container.  Just watch for it so that it doesn't end up in your dinner.  I don't know why it works, it just does. I've never had bugs.

The best way to use the bayleaf for flour, is to get a sandwich size plastic bag and make some holes in it with a hole punch or a fork on one side, fill the bag with bayleaf, and tape it to the inside lid of the airtight container that you are using for storage, with the holes facing the flour.  Flour needs to be stored in a temperature controlled room, or it will turn.

You can also toss a couple of handfuls of bayleaf on the shelves of your pantry to keep pests out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tenitsu
Oh my, where do I start? Here? Okay!

(⌒▽⌒)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013 07:10:18 AM »

I keep about 30lbs of white rice, 30lbs of brown rice, and about the same for white and wheat flour in what I like to call Joint Compound buckets.... dont know how many of you have ever done drywall, but joint compound buckets are huge n heavy duty to boot. I bought my buckets at walmart near the paint isle, I think they come in 20lb and 40lb, and a few smaller ones (I buy the biggest ones I can store without kicking them...with a family of 8 and growing to feed, I need the storage room!!)

I've never had a problem with worms or anything in my rice or flour keeping them in those buckets (though the lids can be tough to get off, but its got a great seal!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hito no ji wa hitori ja tatenai...=)

Pintrest!

You dont need to be weird to belong here...there's a tutorial for that somewhere!
mrsflibble

will work for yarn

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013 01:15:52 PM »

well as an update, I now freeze all rice before putting in tubs in my larder and have had no insect problems Cheesy thanks so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LMAshton
Kitchen Witch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013 06:44:39 PM »

I've never had a problem with worms or anything in my rice or flour keeping them in those buckets (though the lids can be tough to get off, but its got a great seal!)
It's not always about the bugs getting into the container after you've opened the rice/flour/lentils bag. In Sri Lanka, nearly every rice/dal/dried bean bag I've ever bought already had weevils and other bugs in it. One bag of flour, when  I opened it, had so many worms in it that the flour all stuck together in the worm poo. That was just beyond disgusting and gross and repulsive and still gives me the heeby jeebies.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Round Trip Between FCP and Motion
How to Run a Clip in Reverse - Final Cut Pro
Simple Keying of an IPod - Shake 4
How to Create a Shatter Effect - Motion 3
How to Create Reflections - Motion 3
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...