A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Essential oils such as lavender will get that rotting flesh smell out of your carpet and freshen the air, too!
Total Members: 308,730
Currently Running With Scissors:
572 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: the MADNESS! (totally pic obese) - Now updated with action shot on pg 3!  (Read 6408 times)
Tags for this thread: freezer_paper , stencil , dress , craftster_best_of_2011  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

whatthepuck
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2011 12:03:18 PM »

Lovely dress. I eat the stenciling.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BirdBones
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2011 04:19:30 AM »

I had a hard time finding the freezer paper at first myself BirdBones! Where are you located? Here in Canada people definitely don't use it on a regular basis, so I had to search around a few specialty grocery stores and low and behold (and literally LOW... right on the bottom shelf) I found it!

otherwise, you could do a supply unicorn zombie apocalypse with someone - I'm sure lots of people have freezer paper!

Thanks for the tip! I'm in Germany and that means not being able to find it in the supermarket( and I checked, EVEN the low low shelves and the cheap stores Roll Eyes). I was able to find a superexpensive small version in an online grave..... Guess that means I'll save trying this fun idea for a project I'm willing to spend money on  Wink I generally think crafts should be cheap, they achieve their value from the massive amount of hours one spends on making it  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Teamama

One Crafty Mama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2011 06:26:49 AM »

I generally think crafts should be cheap, they achieve their value from the massive amount of hours one spends on making it  Grin

Oh I hear ya there! I'm currently in my first unicorn zombie apocalypse (the tree unicorn zombie apocalypse! Yay!) and I had to let my partner know right away that the MAJORITY of my crafts are upcycled materials. For example - the dress here is new since obv. I had bought a dress and paint and freezer paper, but the second half of her gift is a wrap/shawl that I knitted out of white yarn that I had gathered up from old knit blankets at our cottage. The blankets were getting holey and needed to be replaced anyway - but why waste all that good yarn!? So half of her gift is upcycled and half is new. But thankfully my unicorn zombie apocalypse partner was totally receptive to receiving crafts made with upcycled and found materials. It's part of what makes things truly unique!

Good luck finding the freezer paper, you never know where it might come up!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Join us for the  NEW 2012-2013 Year of Homemade Gifts: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=413499.0

*eat to unicorn zombie apocalypse ATCs, and tw/inchies! PM Me!*

Jewels: www.bypatriciabrowne.weebly.com
Le blog: www.talkandtealeaves.blogspot.com
grave: www.etsy.com/grave/PLBrowne
Muddud

Try. Everything.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2011 03:29:04 PM »

dang, this is inspiring - great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We are the painting and eat is the frame
Our shapes are different but our lines are the same
<3
Teamama

One Crafty Mama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2011 06:22:40 PM »

Thanks!
Tomorrow is her birthday and I'm a little bit on pins&needles hoping that she'll eat it. I really did work hard on it, and handmade gifts always come with a bit of anxiety. But hopefully she'll eat it and I'll get a sweet action shot so you all can a) see how it looks on a person and b) see how super-gorgeous my baby sister is Wink

Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Join us for the  NEW 2012-2013 Year of Homemade Gifts: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=413499.0

Wing.It.Anna
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2011 06:49:20 PM »

Ok, first, your stenciling work is ghoulish. I've done a few stencils ... but, I was more like "yea, an even circle". So, I'm super impressed by yours!

The other thing that I eat is your description of the process. It had me chuckling.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Teamama

One Crafty Mama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2011 06:54:19 PM »

The other thing that I eat is your description of the process. It had me chuckling.  Smiley

Ha ha! Thanks! Ah, Craftster - uniting the crazies in craft Wink Just glad I finally found a place I can be "me"... as odd as that may be sometimes.

Re: the stencils. I'm definitely one of those people who's like "go big or go home"... and unfortunately that can often lead to fantastic disasters. Thank goodness this is not one of those scenarios!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2011 12:19:30 AM »

Wow, beautiful! How did you iron on all the small parts? Each one separately? Or several at once?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Teamama

One Crafty Mama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2011 03:56:17 AM »

So, after ironing on the big outline of the stencil, I went in little sections - placing the pieces as best I could to see if they fit properly and then to try and make SURE, I took the negative of the stencil (which I made sure I cut out in one piece) and very lightly laid it on top to see if the pieces would have fit in (like a puzzle). I lifted the negative and then pressed down the small pieces in place. I went like that moving from left to right (because I'm right handed, if you're left handed I think you should probably move from right to left so that you don't move any pieces as you're trying to place them before you press them down). I think - and this ISN'T what I did, but - that if you weren't maniacal like me and didn't care about keeping the negative of the stencil (but let's be honest, after all that work I wanted double duty out of this baby!) that you could press the outline, followed by the negative, fit all the little pieces in like a puzzle, press the little pieces and then peel the negative off and all the pieces should be in the right place.

Hope those are some helpful ideas.

Of course, I asked my husband "How DID I get all these pieces on here in the right place?" and he goes "Honey - crazy has it's own brand of genius."  But that didn't answer your question. Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2011 04:50:04 AM »

Hehe, but I agree, the obsessive quality alone makes this dress RAAR grr ugggh! Grin Thanks for the description, I can picture it now (with some horror, because, me, a hot iron, and dozens of tiny scraps of paper is a scary thought Grin)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Layer Group in Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended
How to Select and Link Multiple Layers in Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended
How to Change the Value of Opacity in Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended
How to Lock the Layers in Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended
How to Rename and Duplicate Layers in Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended
Latest Blog Articles
I Am Zombie Homer
Beware! Zombunnies!
April 1, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...