A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,947
Currently Running With Scissors:
462 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: the MADNESS! (totally pic obese) - Now updated with action shot on pg 3!  (Read 6206 times)
Tags for this thread: freezer_paper , stencil , dress , craftster_best_of_2011  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Teamama

One Crafty Mama!

View Profile WWW
« on: May 23, 2011 08:13:17 PM »

So, I was shopping around for a b-day gift for my baby sister... and I saw a dress - SO CUTE! Little cotton v-neck sundress with the most adorable pattern on the skirt bottom. And then the inevitable happened... I thought - "Hey! I could MAKE that!" and therein begins... the madness.

I happened upon a little cotton sundress of the same basic style at Walmart for only TWELVE DOLLARS! (Yep - that's right, $12. Did I mention the inspiration dress was priced at approx $65? Just sayin.) and I snapped one up in her size. Home I went, giddy with my bargain shopping and totally sure of my brand new (like 4-5 stencils under my belt) freezer-paper stencilling technique. I am a goddess of craft! I proclaimed to myself... see - insanity is building.

So I settled on drawing a beautiful little filagree type pattern, totally similar to a wallpaper in my house. The original pattern looked like this:

This shouldn't be too hard, I thought. So I started cutting. And then it dawned on me. In order to make this pattern appear on the dress... all the little PIECES were what I needed. So, I developed a system. A crazy, maniacal numbering system. Like this:

And then I really started cutting... and saving - teeny tiny pieces of freezer paper with little numbers on them and "K" for Keep... y'know, in case I totally lost my mind and had no idea why I was keeping all these scraps.

And somehow... just, somehow, I managed to get them onto the dress:

And then - paint!

After waiting patiently (yeah right) for the paint to dry, I peeled off all those teeny tiny stupid ridiculous pieces of freezer paper and was rewarded with this!

Now, some people (sane people) would stop here. They'd pat themselves on the back and say "Job well done you! Have a drink, relax! You've earned it!" But not me. No, the madness has fully taken hold at this point. I look at it and say "It's beautiful! It needs more!!! Mwah ha ha ha ha!" And so I rework the initial pattern for the sides (because of course by now that's not good enough) and onwards we go.

(^notice the little "R" for Right? Yeah, totally lost my mind at this point)
Et voila!

Now at this point, you must be saying "Great! I'm sure she stopped here... I mean, really, who wouldn't?" I'll tell you who wouldn't. Me. That's who. Yup, I stared at that beautiful little number and thought... what a great looking little dress. So cute! That neckline's awfully plain though... and here we go - I even folded for symmetry!

And finally, finally the dress lept up off the ironing board and said "FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! STOP IT! I'M DONE!"
And you know what? She was right:

So there you have it. The madness that is half of my baby sister's b-day gift. She'll be turning 23 this Thursday. Now, if I can only finish the other half. A scallop/shell knit wrap that I thought I'd just whip up. Yeah... I know what you're thinking... I know. I know.

Thanks for looking! C&C ALWAYS welcome.

~Teamama
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011 07:35:41 PM by Teamama - Reason: added action shot. Pg 3 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Join us for the  NEW 2012-2013 Year of Homemade Gifts: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=413499.0

*LOVE to swap ATCs, and tw/inchies! PM Me!*

Jewels: www.bypatriciabrowne.weebly.com
Le blog: www.talkandtealeaves.blogspot.com
shop: www.etsy.com/shop/PLBrowne
goktrose
The Mad-town Crafter

If you stumble, make it part of your dance.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011 08:27:50 PM »

That turned out wonderfully beautiful! And your inner monologue made for an awesome story!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest
I am always up for a personal swap! Odds and ends are my anti-drug.
Current Swaps:
Teesha Moore Patch Swap
Secret Santa 2014 Swap
skittlebub
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011 08:57:41 PM »

Love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 things 2013

I have a new postal address. PM me if you need it - 3/16/12
Lilibet

Princess of Lust

Princess of Lust

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011 01:39:44 AM »

I love it! Not only your crazy work, but also the stencil itself. It's one I'd kill for myself Tongue. So I understand your madness Wink. Thank you by the way for showing me that leaving small pieces of freezer paper out and ironing them back IS indeed possible. Oh, the possibilities!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Are you a fellow Craftster that is addicted to all sorts of Facebook games? PM me, so we can play together!
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/lilibet/pins/
Teamama

One Crafty Mama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011 03:40:32 AM »

Thank you by the way for showing me that leaving small pieces of freezer paper out and ironing them back IS indeed possible. Oh, the possibilities!

Hey no problem! Love to drag others down into my insanity.

All joking aside though - this was totally complicated and there were a few moments where I wanted to FREAK and just toss the whole thing... but the madness (and my cheapness, ha ha) persevered. It was kind of nice to take a look at that huge piece and be like "YES! It worked! I. Am. AWESOME!" It's not really that easy to tell, but I basically numbered the pieces from left to right upwards on an angle from corner to corner. And then I pretty much tried to put them back down by looking at my original drawing over and over again. There was a lot of fussing and trying to get things in just the right spot, because I do like things to be as symmetrical as possible... but I think it worked out. And here's the best part. The REVERSE of that stencil, is still cut out, in one piece in freezer paper. I'm thinking about using it to put it on a bag or something and just colour around the image so that the design would be the original colour of the fabric and the negative space would be fabric paint. Double duty! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Join us for the  NEW 2012-2013 Year of Homemade Gifts: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=413499.0

tendstowardschaos
'Impossible is a word only to be found in the dictionary of fools.' - N. Bonaparte

Motivated by the desire to achieve.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011 05:17:41 AM »

Gorgeous work! That dress is beautiful! I totally admire your ambition and the execution. I think the best projects are preceded by the thought, "this may be a bit ambitious, but..."  Wink  You are awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Teamama

One Crafty Mama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011 06:43:16 AM »

Thanks! I'm thinking after Thursday I'll update with an action shot if I can get baby sis into the dress. I'm hoping it looks as good on her in real life as it does in my head!  Undecided

My hubby tells me my biggest problem is the "I could make that" syndrome... but just think of all the $$$ we're saving!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BirdBones

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011 08:42:10 AM »

I love your madness! The best projects start with the words: "Hey, I could make that!" ( while having the sneaking suspicion that you yourself could make it cooler, nicer, more beautiful) and then getting completely obsessed with it Wink 
I wish I had an idea where to get that famous freezer paper I keep reading about...Grin
The stencil is ultra-beautiful ( and reading the story is not only very entertaining, it also sounds a bit like the inner dialogue I keep hearing sometimes) and I like your negative-idea for the bag, sounds awesome!
Very, very cool project!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Teamama

One Crafty Mama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011 09:00:43 AM »

I had a hard time finding the freezer paper at first myself BirdBones! Where are you located? Here in Canada people definitely don't use it on a regular basis, so I had to search around a few specialty grocery stores and low and behold (and literally LOW... right on the bottom shelf) I found it!

otherwise, you could do a supply swap with someone - I'm sure lots of people have freezer paper!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

zaluly
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011 09:47:45 AM »

This dress is beautiful and your sister is going to LOVE it...make sure to follow up with an action pic
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Cook a Tuna Fish
How to Make Smoked, Barbecued Ribs
Chicken and Supreme Sauce
Easy Breakfast Recipe
Trifecta Mac N’Cheese Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...