Several months ago, I had the idea for a cupholder that hangs from the underseat bag hook on my Vespa LX 150. The idea was that it would be stable (no suction cups), unobtrusive (no hardware), easy to take on and off, and would be more likely to keep the drink upright if allowed to pivot at the top. I made a scribble in my sketchbook then set it aside like all those other scribbles.
Frustrated with being unable to carry my latte, though, I pieced together a prototype one morning using the vinyl packaging from some Pottery Barn bar towels (hey, they were a gift), packing tape and scissors.
This worked so well that I came up with an easier way to do something very much like my original design. I'm calling this "version 2" because I have some ideas for making it even better. The 2-handled design will let you put in a much larger or taller cup; if it sticks out the top, you can hang it with just one handle. So far, I've tested it with several sizes of cups with no problem. I even got a compliment on it from a guy sitting outside Starbucks. I now use it to carry my coffee from the parking garage at work to my office. It does a fair job of insulating the cup, too.
Here's what I did.Tools & Materials:1 neoprene wine tote1 fake-ass MV patch
(hastily purchased for cheap on eBay using BuyItNow before I realized it was a crappy counterfeit from Hong Kong and not a real old Modern Vespa patch)sewing machine or needle & threadsomeone else
to do the sewing part (well, I needed this but am sure most of you wouldn't)How to Do It:
I turned the neoprene wine tote inside out to hide the silkscreened logo. If you're going to put a patch over it, this is unnecessary.
I measured first, using the familiar venti-sized cup. I placed an empty cup in the tote, with the lid just over the bottom of the handles because I was concerned about the lid popping off if I made the holder any deeper. I then squeezed the tote at the bottom close around the cup and pinned it.
My crafty wife sewed the tote shut about a .75" under the pins, the sewed the corners to create a semi-flat bottom. She then cut the bottom of the tote off and trimmed any excess.
That's about it, really. I turned the cupholder rightside in and then applied the fake-ass patch. Presto!