A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 307,548
Currently Running With Scissors:
421 Guests and 1 User
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sewing a Wedding Dress  (Read 2400 times)
Tags for this thread: wedding_dress , handsewn , couture , wedding , dress  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Meadowlark

I love to sew, paint, embroider and much more

View Profile WWW
« on: October 13, 2015 10:18:33 AM »

I am incredibly proud of this project. Together with my mom and my best friend, we sewed a gorgeous wedding dress for said best friend's little sister, who has been like a sister to me for most of my life. It was a wonderful, stressful, fun, and did I mention extremely stressful project. It came out great, but there were many challenges along the way.

We used Simplicity 1606 as our base pattern, although it ended up with many, many alterations. We were originally going to sew view C, which has a lace overdress, but it never looked better than frumpy, so we eventually, with much cussing canned it. We ended up with a modified version of view B, and it was sleek, elegant and fabulous. We also sewed a red party dress version of view B for the bride to wear to the rehearsal, which she loved.

I learned so many new techniques for this project. But really, the same thing applies here as everywhere: Always, always PTSOOI (aka Pin The Shit Out Of It). Preparation is key. We took to calling this the 'iceberg' dress, because you can only see about 10% of the effort on the surface. Each seam was pressed, pinned, sewed, confirmed, pressed again, and hand stiched down. The linings were all hand tacked up so that they would hang right.

We finished the dress 3 days before the wedding (of course we did. that plan to finish a month ahead, what were we even thinking?). And even so, there was still a little sewing to do the day of, when the button loop stretched as I buttoned the bride in! Just had to tack the top closed. By the time I took it out after dinner, the loop seamed to have gotten the message and behaved itself.

Many more details and pictures on my blog! http://sarasewing.blogspot.com/2015/10/sewing-wedding-dress.html

If anyone is thinking about sewing a wedding dress, feel free to ask me questions! I've only really touched the surface here.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PTSOOI
elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015 02:28:00 PM »

well done. It turned out beautifully
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Quantumphysica
Dark Foe Of The World (Part-Time)

Sex, Crafts and Silmarils (Best of 2014 Winner!)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015 10:48:41 AM »

Very impressive!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ArtsCraftsAndMore.com
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2015 08:27:49 AM »

Very nice job
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ArtsCraftsAndMore.com
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator
Quilting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015 09:17:37 AM »

Wow, great job on such a huge undertaking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love nail art? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!

~Want Prizes?! The 2016 QuiltAlong is open for business!~

Instagram: Soapsbymaremare
ezhowell
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2015 04:21:22 PM »

Oh I have a million questions lol. I love this. It's so beautiful. I want to sew my own wedding dress but I don't know if I'm capable. I've done alterations before, and made veeeery basic things like skirts with an elastic band.

I am very plus sized--size 24 on the bottom, size 20 on the top. I have a very small chest lol. I want to make a wedding dress that's very tulle-y and very airy and dreamy, maybe with sleeves, I don't know yet. Definitely empire waisted and a sweetheart neckline, and an low-ish back. Do you have like tons of experience creating stuff from scratch? I just don't know if I have high enough skill lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Meadowlark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2015 09:58:15 PM »

Thanks to everyone who has commented! Cheesy

Ezhowell, sorry I just saw your questions! I wasn't getting notifications on this post for some reason. Good luck with your project! I think with your stated experience you should be able to sew a dress. Tulle can be a great fabric to work with! I haven't used it for many things, but I've definitely enjoyed it. I would take a couple days searching around pinterest and patternreview.com for styles and patterns you like, and keep in mind that any pattern you like can become a wedding dress (even a shirt pattern, just need to lengthen it!). Look for a pattern on patternreview that has good reviews and is rated as having good directions. I haven't designed many patterns from scratch (a couple skirts, etc), but I have done a fair amount of alteration of a standard pattern. I really like the Simplicity Perfect Fit line of patterns, because they give a lot of fitting advice (I'm not sure if they have any empire waists though). My biggest advice is to take the time to make a muslin (or two, or three) so that when you make the final dress you feel comfortable with the pattern and know where all the hard parts are. The dress you are describing sounds lovely! Also, getting a friend to sew with you can help a lot for motivation Smiley

Good luck! Please let me know if I can give more advice/help on a particular topic. I'd love to see what you do Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PTSOOI
ezhowell
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2016 07:46:16 PM »

Wow what a feat! I'm working on this task myself. It looks absolutely beautiful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Meadowlark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2016 09:53:53 PM »

ezhowell, good luck! and thank you, hope your project goes wonderfully! (or went well, since i'm terrible at replying in a timely fashion!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PTSOOI
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2016: DIY Dryer Sheets
@Home This Weekend: Coffee Cozies
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2016: Chocolate Mice

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...