A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,294
Currently Running With Scissors:
510 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fiber Friday may 20th, 2011  (Read 1613 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Sprocketfox
« on: May 20, 2011 04:06:23 PM »

Its Friday its Friday!! My first ever fiber Friday. Ive been a lurker for over three years and I just finally stumbled upon a work buddy who just happened to have an ashford traditional that needed a place to stay for awhile and that happened to be my apartment. The following are my first attempts at yarn and plying on a real wheel instead of my drop spindle.

This is my first project is a mix of corridale and romney it was a total pain to draft because the fiber was so old and so tossled around it was almost felted all the way through. The resulting fiber is gorgeous but scratchy as hell variegated silver. It will probably make a handsome felted bag some day I managed to get 137 yrds in total!

My next test was 8oz. of Black Welsh Mt. The seller claimed it was natural black but as I started to spin it I realized all the VM was this hazy grey color so I was pretty sure it probably started blackish but they did a dye wash to even it out. This stuff was a pain to spin evenly I had to switch hand positions over and over just trying to get all the funny lumps to go away but the resulting look was uneven in an artistic way after plying. (sorry my camera sucks and its truely way darker than the photo.)

My favorite of the week!!! My spinning buddy have me about a softball size of this yummy crimpy cream romney roving and it spun up like a freakin DREAM. But it looked kinda boring on its own so I plied it with some of the Black Welsh Mt. and got me some zebra yarn!!! I can't WAIT to figure out what to do with it!!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011 04:19:13 PM »

You have the touch!  These are your FIRST skeins??  Very impressive!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
Sprocketfox
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011 04:42:35 PM »

They are my first skeins on the wheel yes. Ive been drop spindling off an on for a year or two but I never quite got the hang of the the keeping it spinning part. Now that my foot can keep it spinning I can concentrate on all the rest Smiley I had to hide my wheel to keep myself from spinning what little fiber I have left and wait for my shipment from Neauveau to show up!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
calluna
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

wandering...

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011 12:19:01 AM »

Sorry for the late posting; here's what I finished but couldn't get a picture of before (the LYS owner took this picture)

The multicolored fiber was from freestyle aka ModernSpin, and the orange was a silk bell dyed at the LYS. I tried navajo plying at first (just starting to learn), but it made the mashup of colors too muddy. It's at least 100yds, by far my largest yardage ever and more than I thought my little spindle could manage! (the spindle did kinda break, but I glued it back into working condition again)  Smiley
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011 12:19:48 AM by calluna » THIS ROCKS   Logged
brielauren
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011 12:48:46 AM »

here is my first ever fiber friday! i got my spindle about 2 weeks ago and then got some fiber from http://www.etsy.com/shop/FiberFancy and gosh is it gorgeous! its a 19micron merino and its so soft! its a little thick and thin which is not a decision but rather just my troubles with drafting. still a little hard to get it even but i think it works for this yarn. sorry for the photo overload! im just excited! its still on the niddy noddy because i havent set the twist

and http://www.etsy.com/transaction/49869375 is the original roving
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I want to make a quilt from squares from other craftsters. want to send a square? lets swap!

i also would love to swap for handspun yarn!!!!!!!

Scarf Swap ~ Crafting
Spell My Name Swap ~ sent

http://wists.com/brielauren
OspreyWife

Proud Marine Wife, Crochet & Spinning Addict

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011 08:17:19 AM »

Loving the yarn this week!
brielauren - you did great! Love the colors!
calluna - those colors are so pretty!
Sprocket - awesome first wheel skiens! Love the zebra!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jexxican
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011 08:39:54 AM »

I have one skein ready to be posted, but I don't feel like uploading the photo so maybe I'll post it next week.
SprocketFox it sounds like if you were having trouble getting the spindle to stay spinning that it was too small of a spindle for the weight of yarn you were trying to to spin. I started off with a pretty heavy spindle and sometimes I have to stop it from over-spinning. What you managed on "your" wheel is pretty nice, though. What will you do if your friend wants it back?
Calluna I love that picture!
Brie I love thick and thin! I think one reason I don't spin evenly even with how long I've been spinning is because I love the texture of think n' thin yarn when it is worked up. Also, people on here are always saying "oh, I wish I could make t n' t yarn again!" and I think I just don't want to lose that ability.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
OspreyWife

Proud Marine Wife, Crochet & Spinning Addict

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011 01:29:20 PM »

Finally my yarn is dry, I guess since it was so humid here lately it refused to dry...anyway here is my first skeins on my Babe electric spinner Smiley

Black, brown and white wool mill ends, 200 yards, 12 WPI (the white in it drove me crazy, i was covered in it!)

And I still had some singles left on a bobbin so I just left alone and got 100 yards of it surprisingly

THIS ROCKS   Logged

freestyle
aka ModernSpin

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2011 10:31:40 AM »

calluna it's lovely!! You did an amazing job- I can't believe you spindle spun all of it!!  Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sprocketfox
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2011 05:22:57 PM »

@ Nixxican - I think I will cry a little on the inside and ask for a wheel of my own from my parents and opt out of gifts for the following 4 birthdays and yules
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The New Zealand Night Sky Over Lake Tekapo
How to Take Photos of Food
How to Take Photos of Christmas Lights
How to Take Great Pictures of Cats
Shaking Up the Holiday Family Photo
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Art Caddy
Everyone needs more fiber!
April 29, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...