A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 298,788
Currently Running With Scissors:
616 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sindy Wardrobe help  (Read 1118 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

blossom1044
I want to make things - I want to get better! I must have patience with myself!

I'm a mum 1st, craftster 2nd & I hate working FT!

View Profile
« on: May 20, 2011 10:00:52 AM »

I found in a charity shop (Oxfam goodwill) a 1980's Sindy plastic wardrobe.  It's structure is perfect, but it has severe yellowing on the outside.  It is like something has seeped into the plastic and made it yellow over time.  It's the colour of cigarrette staining, but it isn't washable like tobbaco stains usually are.  It might be from Sun damage!  It is not on the back or 1 side or on the inside.  Other than the staining it is in very good condition.
If required I'll upload pictures of it's current state!
I remember having one of these for my Barbie and Sindy clothes.  It eventually fell appart.  I want it for my niece.  I am making her clothes for her Barbie and want to put them in a wardrobe.

So my question is how do I repaint the plastic?

I've looked on ehow and it talks about how to, but what kind of paint should I use?

Has anyone any experience in removal of stains from plastic - I suppose I am thinking like people who OOAK dolls?

Could I glitter glue it all over and varnish?  Would this peel considering a 4 year old will be using it?

What varnish would be best?

How ever I do it, he finish has to last and stand up to a 4 year old!

Please help
T
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love
T
Tanath
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011 02:27:50 PM »

Not sure about paint, but how about just sort of wallpapering the wardrobe?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-- Start at the beginning, and when you come to the end, stop! - Alice in Wonderland
chloelicorice
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011 02:58:06 AM »

I would think any acrylic based paint should work, but I don't know for sure. Maybe you could bleach it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Icekibby

Leopardprint Goddess

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011 08:23:54 PM »

Acrylic generally won't stick well. You should consider a spray like Krylon. They make a line for outdoor furniture that is for plastic, and has lots of colours.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My wist: http://www.wists.com/IceKat

Will swap for 1:12 exotic & magical dollhouse furniture and accessories, amigurumi, magical poppets.
bubblegum_phoenix
never admit defeat, just say it was artistic licence

do what you love, love what you do

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011 09:57:31 PM »

The best and easiest way would def be to use a spray paint designed to plastic (ask at your local paint dealer and spot test first, sometimes the wrong paints can melt the plastic) another way to do it is go to a model shop and buy the paints used for the model cars etc. Ive used heaps of it (Im current converting Barbie pink to Pullip classic  Wink ) and its pretty straightforward to apply, its just a tad pricey  Cheesy
Acrylic paints do stick ok to toy plastics, but it does come off fairly easy, so better for display pieces, not for stuff you're giving your niece  Cheesy it also doesnt seem to give the same full coverage
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/sasha_tilson/

glitter it, no seriously, just add glue and glitter, no one will notice
Mega Crafter
Mega Man Maniac

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011 09:54:09 AM »

The eventual yellowing (or in some cases, turning brown!) in ABS plastics - which I'm going to guess that this wardrobe is made from - is caused by bromide and/or other chemicals, which were originally added to make the plastic flame-retardant, rising to the surface over time.

It's a common problem with some old game consoles and computers, and if you're careful, it's possible to make a substance that can reduce or remove the yellowing. It tends to be known as Retr0Bright, and you can read about it on this site. If the wardrobe is made of this type of plastic (and as I said before, I would guess that it is, as it's a common type of plastic in toys and consumer goods), then this may work.

It does involve a lot of hazardous chemicals to make this cleaner, though, and accordingly, I unfortunately don't know if the surface would be possible to clean up to be safe enough for a youngster to play with afterwards...

Anyway, I just thought I would mention it in case the provided link is useful to yourself, or to anyone else who this plastics issue might be affecting. Wink
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011 09:54:58 AM by Mega Crafter » THIS ROCKS   Logged
blossom1044
I want to make things - I want to get better! I must have patience with myself!

I'm a mum 1st, craftster 2nd & I hate working FT!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011 09:34:11 AM »

thank you very much.  all very helpful.

In the end I have decided to keep said wardrobe and collect Sindy's for nostalgia & repair to resell.

I've repaired and re rooted my first one which was a trial.

I am also making clothes too.

though that serves a 2nd purpose.  My boy goes to school with more girls in his class than boys.  Thus lots of girls with parties and dolls are the order of the day.  I buy a doll and make it an outfit.  Currently making a kaftan and leggings for a Liv doll.

My neice got a Zapp Jolina skating doll.  I made it a crochet blanket in bright bamboo cotton pink and a matching 50's style dress & nighty.  She loves it.  It has become her new favourite toy.  Upsy Daisy has been relegated to the drawer so I am told.  It is bigger than a Barbie and less likely to be eaten by her baby brother.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love
T
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Deep Smokey Eye Makeup at the Nicole Miller FW 2014 Show
How to Clean Makeup Brushes
Redbook Magazine’s Beauty Epiphanies
Makeup Expert Kandee Johnson Transforms Into 1990s Madonna
Prabal Gurung Fall 2014 NY Fashion Week - Backstage, Interviews & Runway
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Sherlock Matchbox
@Home This Weekend: Bottlecap Magnets
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...