A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,559
Currently Running With Scissors:
503 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crazy Quilt Question....  (Read 1048 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

defunctbuffalo
« on: June 04, 2005 03:45:28 PM »

So about a year ago, I decided that I really had to make a crazy quilt, because they're beautiful and don't require measuring lots of little squares.  And so the saga began.

I planned to make a full sized quilt, and bought lots of muslin.  I wound up making about ten 12" x 12" squares, all covered in fancy fabric that I scrounged from everyone I know.  I've only added embroidery to three of them. 

The problem:  I realize now that I will never, ever, ever finish this quilt. BUT:  the squares I have are REALLY pretty.  The fabric is great, lots of velvet and satin and niceness, and it's the first embroidery I've ever done, so I'm proud of them.  I don't want them to live in the back of my closet forever!

So-- HELP!  What can I do with them??  Other than a wall hanging, which I may do if I can't think of anything else, does anyone have any ideas for what to do with 12 x 12 squares, all pretty and crazy-quilted?

THANK YOU!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DrewsUSAgirl
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2005 04:22:37 PM »

12 x12 would make a nice book bag?
maybe picred side by side as a table runner?>
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WandaM.

Wanda in South Texas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2005 04:36:29 PM »

I definately vote for the book bag! A purse would be great too. Other ideas .... sofa pillows, a curtain (if you have enough to make the right size), pillow shams, a tablecloth for a small table...

You could sew the 12x12s together and then just treat it as a piece of fabric, and cut out whatever you wanted to make....clothing, purse, stuffed animals...

Congratulations on getting as far as you did.The idea of making a crazy quilt has always intimidated me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wanda in South Texas
mikan

we are ugly but we have the music

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2005 06:16:16 PM »

you could still make the quilt by adding plain squares in a nice fabric (velvet?) like a checkerboard or something, or you could make a big border on the quilt to increase the size.  or both!  if you embroidered alot on only a few, you could try just adding embroidery here and there to the rest and putting the more intricate ones in the middle of the quilt. 
how about sewing 4 together for a giant pillow front?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

now, whether in punishment or reward, through all eternity, she must love and believe in what she did not understand.  -dennison
defunctbuffalo
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2005 06:35:08 PM »

A pillow would be really pretty...  the purse is also a great idea, although I feel like it might get beaten up.... I'm rough on bags.  Making stuffed animals out of it would be awesome, though...  I think I might try a pillow first, and then if I can figure out how to do it, make a stuffed bear out of one without embroidery. 

Thank you for all the suggestions!  I'll try and borrow a digital camera so I can post pictures of the finished products. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lalage
Stunt seamstress and textile artist!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2005 09:54:47 AM »

Could you sew several together in a long strip and use as bands on the hem of a skirt or coat?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cmoore
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2005 05:13:50 PM »

OOoo I like lalage's idea (and she knows what she is talking about-she makes beautiful stuff!). I might have to steal it. Wink

I just saw a quilt though that had a crazy pieced border and a large blank center which was quilted like a whole cloth. I thought that was interesting.

PS-Hi lalage! I still have the piece you made for me in a exchange on Nervousness.org a couple of years ago! I remember the first one got lost...I'm lemur over there. hehee I get so excited to see people I 'know' from other sites-I'm such a nerd.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lalage
Stunt seamstress and textile artist!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2005 09:31:43 AM »

Small world! Thanks for the kudos too  Kiss

Quilting is where i "started" with textile art, 21 years ago while pregnant with my son. I left it for a period of 14 years and am back at it, incorporating it in my work again.

Crazy quilts are the best!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Isolate Your Subject
How to Crop in Camera
How to Get a Vivid Image
How to Get a Strong Foreground Image
How to Photograph a Fast Car in Motion
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...