A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,485
Currently Running With Scissors:
541 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: High school teachers need appreciating, too!  (Read 1907 times)
Tags for this thread: teacher_gift  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

graced

Whatever! (Philippians 4:8)

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: May 19, 2011 12:23:15 PM »

After two tough years in high school, my daughter finally hit her stride, mostly thanks to some amazing teachers. They seem to get that they are teaching STUDENTS, not just a subject.

I wanted to do something nice for each of the seven. Now, I was a teacher. A middle- and high-school teacher. I have a box full of apple gifts upstairs that I still laugh about. When I taught in public schools (like this one), I got VERY few gifts at all, even apples, but I liked them when I got them, so even though it is high school, I sent teacher gifts on this, the last week of school.

The art teacher got this frugal coaster set. I would have loved this in my writing classroom, even if the little coasters were something like $2 at CVS a couple weeks ago.

I just used Publisher to make each temporary (?) insert showing part of a famous artwork, with a quote by the creator:

My favorite!!

In their box:

Most of the teachers got record bowls full of really useful supplies like dry-erase markers, post-it notes, colored paper clips, room scent, etc., that you just can't have too many of:

Her Talented and Gifted teacher also got a gift card to a restaurant in hers.

The creative writing teacher got a quickly created fleece and felt Alot in her bowl, after I found it here and shared it with her, she taught her students using the link!

Next year I'll have TWO highschoolers. Any ideas for then?!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011 12:29:34 PM by graced » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Words to craft by: Un homme a cheval va jamais voir ca...  "A man on horseback will never notice that."
kriSmith
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011 01:54:55 PM »

Both my kids are in high school too. The teachers are so happy when someone thinks of them. Usually it's just the elementary teachers that get the gifts.

For Christmas I sent coasters made out of scrapbook paper on bathroom tiles and a jar of homemade jelly. For teacher appreciation I sent another jar of jelly and the women got a soda can cozy and the men got magnets made out of little bathroom tiles. I just printed black clip art onto colored card stock and modge podged it. They turned out really cool. I made a set based off the art for the Book Theif book, they were my favorites!

Even the smallest gifts that show appreation is awesome. I can't imagine teaching teenagers. Whew!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/krismith/

Would love to do personal swaps - collection items for my Duck's Unlimited women's raffle
LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Sublime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011 02:20:05 PM »

Wow! What generous gifts. I'm sure they really appreciated the thought and effort that went in to creating these packages.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest!
My Blog!

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
graced

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011 07:03:56 AM »

Those are GREAT ideas, kriSmith! Did you use tissue paper on the tiles, or regular? (I've heard both ways, been afraid to try either!) I can see some school mascot or subject-area clip art going over really well. Thanks for the idea! I've never sent jelly, but that's mostly because I can hardly make enough to keep around here...I think they DRINK it or something!

Thanks, LimeRiot. You're always so encouraging! Smiley

(The Fresh Strawberry Cake--a famous cake by a local bakery--went over really well, too. I took it to the office workroom and sent an e-mail invite...they showed up pronto!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Words to craft by: Un homme a cheval va jamais voir ca...  "A man on horseback will never notice that."
kriSmith
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011 09:30:57 AM »

I just used regular scrapbooking paper. The design on it was light so it didn't take away from the clip art.
It was super easy.
Here are my magnets.

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=380867.msg4507120#msg4507120
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Would love to do personal swaps - collection items for my Duck's Unlimited women's raffle
Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011 12:05:09 PM »

These are so terrific!  My husband teaches high school and grouches about how the elementary school teachers always get such better treatment from parents.  I bet your kids' teachers LOVE you!  And it's obvious you put a ton of effort and thought into each one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
graced

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011 12:30:42 PM »

I guess the tradeoff for not having to deal with runny noses is no gifts?! Wink When the kids were in elementary, I used to do a classwide "needs" list...interview the teacher about wants/needs for her classroom (plus a few personal preferences like lotion, gum, etc.) and pass it out to all the kids. I did it through the first year in middle school, then the PTA took it over and all the teachers get it now. (THere was honestly some serious jealousy that some teachers were getting TONS of "just right" gifts while the others were getting practially nothing. Odd.)

The high-school teachers' interaction is nearly 100% with the student (not parent), so I just went with what I used to love...classroom supplies. (My husband said we got a raise when I quit teaching...I now spend that money on craft supplies, so I'm not sure he's right...!)

Wish your DH "Happy Summer" from me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gumption

"Sing an outlaw love song." -Social Distortion

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011 01:48:57 PM »

Wow!  You really put a lot of thought and work into those gifts.  The Alot is sooo cool.  I love "Hyperbole and a Half!"  As a High School teacher, I know we rarely get "thanks" much less awesome gifts like yours.  We don't do it for these reasons, but it really, really, really helps!!!  

For next year, what about a gift card to a book store?  And, I still wear some home-made jewelry and socks from past students.  Picture frames, especially those magnetic ones.  A nice tissue-box cover?  Heck, a box of tissues?  Costco membership??

Thank you, on behalf of all teachers!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
graced

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011 02:40:06 PM »

I really like the idea of a gift card to a book store! I tried to get DD to help make gifts, but she had multiple AP exams, ACT, etc. and kept meaning to do something...!

Thanks for the great ideas!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kriSmith
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011 08:33:31 PM »

Aislynn - Ask your husband what kind of crafty things he would like to receive as a male teacher. The men are hard for me to come up with things for. I made magnets for them. But how many magnets and coasters can they use? I would love "guy" ideas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Mary Higgins Clark Wishes She Had This Talent
Kekla Magoon Reveals Her Favorite Person in History
Reynolds Price Reveals Where He Would Like to Be
Ian James Corlett Reveals His Favorite Movie
Jeffrey Rotter Offers Readers Some Words of Wisdom
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...