A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 299,171
Currently Running With Scissors:
500 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Self-Striping Yarn (with a Warping Board) Tutorial  (Read 12378 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , craftster_best_of_2011  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sarahj2001
Knitting Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: May 19, 2011 12:05:32 PM »

I started to take pictures of this process so I could show my grandpa how I create the self-striping yarn.  Then I realized that I should just post it here as a tutorial so maybe it can help someone else too.   Grin

1.  Determine how many inches of yarn each stripe needs to be.  I dyed this yarn for my cousin, who is going to make mittens.  So, I crocheted up 2 rows (which is what I wanted each color stripe to be).  Then I ripped it all out and measured that length of yarn.  It ended up being 2 yards. 

We made my warping board (which you can easily make with a piece of wood and some dowel rods - just drill the holes and stick in the dowels) so that one wrap around the pegs is 1 yard.  (So the pegs are 18 inches apart). 

2.  Wrap the Yarn! - Start with a slip knot on the top right peg.  I knew I had to do 2 wraps per set of pegs (per color).  So, following the arrows on the next picture, wrap the whole ball of yarn onto the pegs.  Note that on the bottom set of pegs, I only wrap 1 1/2 times and then the other 1/2 goes up the side of the board to start over again at the beginning.

So you end up with one side (the right side in my pictures - where you went from the last peg back to the first peg) like this:

And the other is the side that goes from peg to peg:

3. Tie it Good! - It's very important to tie this up well since it will create a huge mess to untangle at the end if you don't tie it enough (Trust me!  I found out the hard way the first few times!!). 

I use scrap pieces of yarn to tie the yarn together in a figure eight pattern. Tie these fairly tight, you don't want them moving!!

On the corners, I tie in the pieces coming from the previous peg.  Like this:

So, the right side ends up like this:

On the left side, I remove the peg (or if you mount your pegs permanently, remove the yarn off the peg) and tie the figure eight right into the center of all the overlaps.

So you end up with this:

4. Dyeing - Dye with whatever dyes you prefer.  I used ProChem dyes.  You could (probably easier than what I did) dip dye them by soaking each piece into jars of the different colors.  I hand painted the dyes on with squirt bottles, since I already had my dyes in bottles.  I lay out plastic wrap and then place one section of yarn onto it and paint.  The pieces between the sections, I just go half way with each color.

Then I wrap each colored section individually.

So, I end up with 6 packets of 6 different colors of yarn!

Then wrap them all up together in another piece of plastic wrap and steam (or whatever you do to set your dye).

5. Finishing up - So after you steam, let cool, rinse, then dry the yarn you're ready to turn it back into a ball so we can finally make something with it!
I put my pegs back into my warping board on the closer holes (since yarn shrinks after dyeing).  Then I put the yarn back onto their pegs.  The blue would not stretch enough to get onto it's peg.  I think I need to drill another set of holes a bit closer.

Then wind it into a ball and you're all set!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Quinndustrious P.
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011 12:18:47 PM »

Wow, this is amazing! I never would have thought to dye my own self-striping yarn! Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my pinterest boards! http://pinterest.com/quinnp/
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011 12:21:25 PM »

Sarah, this is fabulous!  thank you for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

subaru8mysox
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011 07:46:40 PM »

<---- the lucky cousin who gets to use this awesome yarn (neener neener neener)

Sarah, you and your mad yarn dying skillz are absolutely amazing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Zombie_Queen

Crafty Zombie Mama \m/

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011 10:35:24 AM »

That is sooo cool! Thanks for sharing Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
OrigamiFox

I will NOT be defeated by paper!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011 08:53:14 AM »

Thank you SO MUCH for such a clear description (and photos) of this striping process, especially the tying off of the mini-skeins!  I've done some self-striping, but the yarn became horribly tangled and took about 3 hours to get straightened out.  Your way makes so much sense!  GREAT JOB!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
extremities
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011 11:57:11 PM »

Very helpful. I never thought about DIYing self striping yarn! It reminds me of those giant lollipops from Disneyland.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
OrigamiFox

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011 10:01:21 AM »

I've been puzzling (until my puzzler is sore! Huh) trying to figure this out.  I understand the wrapping around each peg, then going to the next one, then when you get to the end, wrapping 1.5 times then back around to the beginning.  It looks like (in your photos) that you have figure-8 ties at both ends of your pegs, yes? Then how is it that in your photos of the sections that you are dyeing, there are only connecting ties at one end?  Doesn't that long wrap-around-back-to-the-beginning section get dyed multicolored?  How does this look when knitted up?   

Or maybe I'm just overthinking this!  Please advise as I would love to know how to do this self-striping yarn!
Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sarahj2001
Knitting Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011 03:01:19 PM »

The part that goes back to the beginning (from purple to red) only gets a tie at the purple end and then again at the red end

If you look at this picture...it's not connected to the others.  The ties go at each end of the colored sections..but don't tie in that wrap back to the beginning.  You can see in that photo...that I only tied the ends of this section (not into each color).

It gets died red....I know in that one picture where I put it back on the board after dying, it has some purple on the bottom...that's only because it's hard to get it back on the board (and probably some purple creeped onto what was supposed to be red.

Did that help you understand better?  Feel free to ask me more questions if I didn't explain it well enough Smiley

Oh yea...and I gave this yarn to my cousin to crochet a pair of gloves but she hasn't yet...so I'm still not sure what this will look like finished.  Sad  I'm actually going to see her in an hour so I'm going to bug her about starting the gloves.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

OrigamiFox

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011 07:27:02 AM »

Doh! Okay, now it makes sense!  I have my board all set up and hope to give it a whirl sometime this week.  Thanks again for your help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get a High Ponytail
How to Get a Basic Ponytail
How to Get Long Hair Updos
Organic Haircare by Demetris Potamianos
Ideas for Hair Accessories
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...