A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,088
Currently Running With Scissors:
493 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Gift Bows (IMG big)  (Read 1000 times)
Tags for this thread: ribbon , bow  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BlueCherryFaerie
« on: May 18, 2011 08:54:48 AM »

I wasn't sure where to put this post.  I had nasal surgery in January.  It was pretty minor surgery but I couldn't do anything while I was recovering.  I couldn't see well (between the surgery and the meds, my vision blurred), so I couldn't read, look at the computer or watch TV.  I couldn't see well enough to crochet or knit, so I needed something pretty easy to do that wouldn't take a whole lot of focusing.  I popped in some audiobooks on my MP3 and decided to make some bows from curling ribbon.  I have had this in my mind for a while and had been putting off experimenting.  Well this seemed like the perfect opportunity to try.

I used a flower loom.  Mine has 3 different ringed rows of pegs.  It is a Studio twelve loom from the 60's or 70's.  I've seen similar flowers made out of some kind of plastic straw, but I couldn't find any easily, locally and I couldn't go shopping for supplies.  I've made flowers for gift bags out of yarn before, so now was my chance to try out the idea of using curling ribbon.

Basic supplies
2-5 colors curling ribbon
flower loom
scissors
tape (used to hold the beginning ribbon in place on the back while you wrap)
yarn needle
Double sided tape
optional supplies:
ribbon shredder

I tried different techniques for different looks.  Some I simply wrapped, finished off the center:

Some I cut the ribbons after I secured the center, but did nothing else to them:

Some I wrapped additional colors around the longest posts, and after securing the centers, I cut the some of the longer loops and used scissors to curl the ribbon:

Some I wrapped the longest pegs, then unwrapped them (I was getting the length of the ribbon I used to wrap the longest set of pegs), used a ribbon shredder to shred the ribbon, the rewrapped the longest pegs.  Then wrapped the longest pegs with unshreded ribbon and finished as normal.  I left the shredded ribbon in loops but I cut and curled the unshredded ribbon from the longest loops:

Some, I wrapped across 3 of the longest posts.  Then wrapped llike normal.  After is was secured and pulled off the loom, there were really long back loops (the ones wrapped across 3)  I cut those in the middle and curled them so that there would be longer curls:

Here are the ones that I did between sleeping and a few other things (I got bored just doing these):

You can see the ribbon I used on the spools in the background, I also took pictures of some other looms that you might be able to make some of these on:

Here are the supplies:

Here is the back of one with the double sided tape on it:

Here is some in use for my son's birthday:

The thing I like best about these bows, is that they don't get messed up easily like normal gift bows, so you can make a bunch in advance and don't have to worry about them not looking good. They can be stacked and not get smushed and out of shape easily (Unless flattened by something heavy) And they are pretty cheap to make.  Those spools of ribbon usually only cost between $2-$3 a piece, so you can just buy the colors you want/need.
I'm in the process of making more of these for teachers' gifts for the end of the year.  I like to give unusual but useful gifts.  I plan to use an empty 2 liter soda bottle as the packaging.  I saw a really cute video on youtube to wrap gifts that way.  
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011 07:13:36 PM by BlueCherryFaerie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011 10:55:19 AM »

Those ar so pretty and so clever. Thank you for sharing the techniques as well.  I love them and want to have a go myself
THIS ROCKS   Logged
muise
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011 10:58:34 AM »

is there some sort of tut for making these?  I love them and would like to make a bunch of them for christmas
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BlueCherryFaerie
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011 11:53:07 AM »

is there some sort of tut for making these?  I love them and would like to make a bunch of them for christmas

I don't have a tutorial myself but here is a website that has lots of information on flower looms and how to use them:
http://knitting-and.com/small-looms/index.html

There are tons of new and vintage looms out there.  I have the Studio Twelve Magni-Fleur Loom.  The site above has a size and comparison link where they give all the stats of the looms out there.  http://knitting-and.com/small-looms/sizes.html  I bought my loom off ebay a few years back.  If you don't have a loom, I'd recommend getting one with atleast 3 rows of pegs for more versatility.  I bought a Hana-Ami loom as well, but I haven't used it yet.

Another neat thing about that site, they tell you how to make your own looms.  Most of the techniques show are best used only with yarn, but some will work with the twist straw and curling ribbon.

Also look on Youtube.  I think there are a few videos on using flower looms there.  Just type in Flower Loom.  Those will give you the general idea on how to make the flowers, then you can probably figure out the designs that I did from the descriptions I gave. 

If you still have trouble, just let me know.  I would be happy to put together a tutorial, but it might have to wait until summer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cyndiq
i am aka sewsweet08 on yt come say hi

aussie craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011 11:58:30 AM »

Cool i make some like this. Yours turned out great.I also use my. Loom to make flower jewellery
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011 12:00:51 PM by cyndiq » THIS ROCKS   Logged

imera
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011 03:46:53 AM »

Horrible that you couldn't do much, but at least you managed to complete something nice and useful, lovely colours Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Blood Orange Tart with Lemon Curd
How to Make Stracciatella Tortoni Cake with Espresso Fudge Sauce
Deep, Dark Chocolate Stout Cake Recipe
How to Make Classic Banana Bread
How to Make a Lighter Peanut Butter Pie
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...