A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 296,388
Currently Running With Scissors:
700 Guests and 44 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tyra the Valkyrie Poppet  (Read 2342 times)
Tags for this thread: viking , poppet  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

squire_inaria
« on: May 17, 2011 10:46:49 PM »

I made Tyra for Puamelia in the plethora of Poppets swap. She is a Valkyrie, a Norse warrior queen. her name, Tyra, means warrior.

Here she is with her companion, Fenris the wolf

And from the side. Her sword and shield are made from polymer clay and were my first attempt at anything in that medium

Her armor is chain mail, done in a European 4-in-1 weave in 4mm jewelry jump rings

Back of the armor

She also has a headband done in the same chain mail weave

And her sandals. They are from a pattern I drafted myself, as was the panne velvet dress under the armor

And on the suggestion of Pua, here is Tyra's story that i wrote to go along with her.

My name is Tyra. My story is not a long one, but I hope you will find it interesting. It's probably beyond time I shared it with someone....

I was born in the Northern wilds. It was one of the coldest winters that anyone in the village could remember. Fuel was a precious commodity, since the fires had to be stoked all the time just to try to keep the bone chilling cold at bay. It was mostly unsuccessful, but giving up was not an option. When the wolves began baying at our doors, the village elder decided it was time to ask for help from the gods.

The trance lasted for three days. Toward the end, there was much concern that he would never come out of it. Finally at sunset of the third day the elder emerged from his tent. 'The gods demand a sacrifice,' he told the village. 'In exchange for the last born child our village has seen they will grant us the strength to make it through this winter. If we refuse, we will all surely perish here before Yule.'

My parents were heartbroken at the thought that they would have to give up their only child, but could not bear condemning the entire village to such a fate as what awaited if they didn't do as was asked. At midnight that night I was taken to the mountains that overlooked our village. As the elder was searching for a place to lay me down, he found a sheltered crevasse nestled between two silvery granite boulders. He laid me there and left me to the fate the gods had decreed for me.

Almost as soon as the village elder disappeared into the swirling snow, a golden ball formed in front of the boulders that sheltered me. It grew to man size and then began to form the shape of a man with an impossibly large hammer strapped to his back. He lifted me up from the crevasse and cradled me to his chest. His bare chest was warm, despite the blizzard that was raging around us.

He took me to a place of such indescribable beauty and fierceness. There he raised me as his own daughter, showing me the ways of the warrior and forging my sword and shield by his own hands. He gave me the name Tyra and said that I would be his Valkyrie. It was a place that I never wanted to leave. But to my sorrow, that was not to be.

As I grew into womanhood, I would accompany my adoptive father, Thor, on his journeys into the world. We fought side by side in more battles than I can tell about. My courage grew with each swing of my sword and crackle from his thundering hammer.

It wasn't until I reached maturity that Thor noticed the effects of my life upon me. My eyes, which had once been the same cobalt as the storm-tossed ocean that bordered my homeland, were now streaked with golden lightning. Instead of resisting his thunder, my body was instead absorbing it. While this was fine for a god, my mortal form would not be able to handle much more of it.

With sorrow in his eyes, Thor told me of his discovery. It was time for me to go out into the world on my own, since I could no longer stay in his home and survive. He assured me that despite the distance between us, he would always be a part of me and that I would always be able to feel his hand guiding my feet. I accepted the news with a heavy heart and departed the only home I had known.

It would be hard to say how long ago that was. Every day I feel the presence of my adopted father with me. As he promised, he still guides my feet as I travel to fulfill the purpose and will of the gods. Now my journey has brought me to this new land and to you. What my purpose here will be has yet to be seen, but I know without question that this is where I am supposed to be.

Tyra                            
May 2011

C&C welcome!!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011 10:50:04 PM by squire_inaria » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I swap, you swap, we all swap! I love personal swaps (and I make poppets!) Smiley

Wist-y goodness

Check out my new shop; Ivy Moon Emporium[url]!
puamelia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

A NEW day, a NEW doll... another poppet!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011 11:25:20 PM »

She is wonderful, I love love love her! I may be a bit biased, but no, she has so much work and love put into her. I love her traipsing through my backyard. Thank you SO MUCH! awesome job! xoxo
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yay for summer break = swapping fun!

Kids Craft and Swap Round 7, squared!
sorbetsurprise
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011 12:55:00 AM »

I cannot get over the tininess of that chain mail!  That must have been the bane of your life while you were making it but it looks amazing.  Great idea for a poppet and fantastic end result!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

squire_inaria
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011 12:57:22 AM »

Thanks both of you!

Sorbet, the chain mail actually wasn't that bad. I've been weaving for about 8 years and this isn't even close to the first time I've worked with links that small. It was actually kind of relaxing. I could zone out to a movie while I was working on it, which definitely helped the time go by!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I swap, you swap, we all swap! I love personal swaps (and I make poppets!) Smiley

Wist-y goodness

Check out my new shop; Ivy Moon Emporium[url]!
meleriffic
Global Moderator
Clothing Moderator
Toys, Dolls, & Playthings Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011 07:33:35 AM »

She is so amazingly awesome I don't even know where to begin.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
beth8144
It is just so stinkin' addictive!

CRAFTING KEEPS ME FROM GOING CRAZY!!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011 07:49:41 AM »

This is just fantastic and Poppet chainmail who would have thought, This is just amazing great job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

So many ideas so little time. Will I ever get them all done?
http://wists.com/beth8144
http://pinterest.com/beth8144/
aethelberga
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011 09:53:04 AM »

You made chainmail for a doll!! The doll itself is amazing, but that you actually made chainmail for it... This Rocks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

NyteFyre

I am a GrandMa to a Poppet

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011 03:08:24 PM »

She is beautiful and the story is wonderful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

***  Friendship Is The Pot Of Gold At The End Of Your Rainbow  ***
bastetblue
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011 06:11:14 PM »

This is incredible! I love that chain mail. The story is so great too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a fairy in possession of a good appetite must be in want of pie.''

My wist: http://wists.com/bastetblue
theatreorchid
Craftssassin

Just kill him with your awesome.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011 10:54:14 AM »

Shocked Shocked Shocked  You've really outdone yourself this time!  I can't believe how gorgeous Tyra is...really no words!  That armor is just exquisite, and of course the rest of her clothing and accessories are perfect as well!  *drool* Rocking this sooo hard!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Meet Author Richard Madeley
Stefanie Wilder-Taylor Offers Readers Some Words of Wisdom
S. E. Cupp Talks About Losing Our Religion
Jennifer Vanderbes Talks About Strangers at the Feast
The Hacienda Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...