A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 299,153
Currently Running With Scissors:
525 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitting Injuries!  (Read 1741 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ijsblokje
is superbacana

gypsy punk

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2005 12:27:11 PM »

My back usually starts hurting if I've been sitting on the floor and knitting for a while.  Yeah, I know, I ought to have back support from a chair or something, but I like the floor.

I've also stabbed myself with a needle while knitting.  I think I had just finished a row and was turning the work and somehow I stabbed my upper arm. I was surprised that I actually drew blood and had to put on a bandaid.
But then, I'm really klutzy to begin with.  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lupinbunny

the bunny with the loops

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2005 06:04:39 PM »

oh, i get the SOREST back. the right side of my back is the biggest pile of knots.
i think it's because my right hand is dominant, and knitting as well as typing/ writing class notes just pushes my body over the edge. Also i tend to sit twisted on the couch to knit ('my' couch is at right angles to the tv, so i sit a bit funny).

I've discovered those wheat bags you heat up in the microwave are great. i could finish casting off last night when i'd've otherwise had to stop, because the wheatbag soothed the pain.

Also, when i was knitting with a silk/ wool blend I inhaled a lot of the floating fibres. I was really worried about it. It was kind of hard to breathe! My mum's a pharmacist and it was tres embarassing having to ring her up at work and ask her get me a surgical mask to knit with!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kp
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2005 07:17:03 PM »

And for the past couple days, you know that feeling you get right before part of your body falls asleep?  I have that at the tip of my left ring finger and it hasn't gone away for days.  I don't get why that would happen.

i think it's this:

http://www.orthogate.com/patient-guide/cumulative-trauma-disorders/patient-guide-to-guyons-canal-syndrome.html

you should probably see a doctor about it...and i should probably follow my own advice.

mine is related to a crunchy quality in my wrist, and i can make it go away by cracking the bones back into place.  it started with my first real project.  i've been abstaining from knitting/salivating over my manos and trekking xxl and alpaca for months now, hoping it will fix itself while i get my health insurance sorted out...

it's made me quite sad.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
starlight1221
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2005 08:29:33 PM »

And for the past couple days, you know that feeling you get right before part of your body falls asleep?  I have that at the tip of my left ring finger and it hasn't gone away for days.  I don't get why that would happen.

i think it's this:

http://www.orthogate.com/patient-guide/cumulative-trauma-disorders/patient-guide-to-guyons-canal-syndrome.html

you should probably see a doctor about it...and i should probably follow my own advice.

it's made me quite sad.

Great, just what I need.  I looked around, does anyone have any ideas off the top of your head about how I could still knit with a pinched nerve while letting it heal?  Like maybe a brace that will keep my wrist in place?  Cause I'm in the middle of two major projects I need to finish! Sad   Ah well, I'm going to see my doc on friday anyway. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ijsblokje
is superbacana

gypsy punk

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2005 08:48:34 PM »

The numbness has happened to me too.. except in my toes.  I was at a party last winter wearing some too high heels for a few hours and the next day two toes on each foot were numb.  I asked my mom (a nurse) about it and she said I probably just had a pinched nerve and that it would work itself out after a while.   And it did, but maybe a week or two later. 

I forget about those heatable wheat thingies.  I have one at my house but never use it.    Roll Eyes

I've also had problems with inhaling bits of wool and it then making me sneeze and itch.  Wool doesn't really itch my skin when I knit with it, but the airborn bits irritate my allergies.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kp
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2005 09:15:27 PM »

Great, just what I need.  I looked around, does anyone have any ideas off the top of your head about how I could still knit with a pinched nerve while letting it heal?  Like maybe a brace that will keep my wrist in place?  Cause I'm in the middle of two major projects I need to finish! Sad   Ah well, I'm going to see my doc on friday anyway. 

yeah, i'm sorry.

just for the sake of conversation...i tried a little futuro brace from the drug store.  i think it was called an 'energizing support glove' (basically a spandexy fingerless glove with an elastic band you could velcro around your wrist).  it didn't solve the problem, but it made me feel better for a while...

but for all i know, the problem's in your elbow.  will you let us know what your doctor says?  i'd really appreciate it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
starlight1221
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2005 05:37:57 AM »

blah, found out my doc's not gonna be there Friday (i'm going in for a blood test so I only need to see the nurse).  Still undecided what to do, I might see the other doc that's there.  But for sure I'm gonna go get a brace today.  I'll let you know if it starts to feel better or if I give up all together and go for holding the needle in my armpit like the girls are doing in the "one handed knitting"  post Smiley 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Chelsea
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2005 08:46:39 AM »

I don't have any injuries myself other than the muscle aches after I first started, or the sore fingers (almost bruises) from holding the needles so tightly in the beginning - you know, when it still feels like you're writing w/ the wrong hand.

But my cat had one.  Loki loves pointy things, so I was scooting the needle along the couch for him to chase. Held it in the air, and it slipped and bonked him in the head.  He doesn't come near me when he sees the needles anymore.  He can be across the room, I hold one up and he squints and runs away.  This was a few weeks ago too.  Poor kitty. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ilovemyff
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2005 09:13:31 AM »

I think knitting messd up my fingerprints. They use high tech scanners now and the scanner couldn't get good prints because my thumb and pointer had so many scratches from needles and yarn I presume. I wonder if that is why my security clearance hasn't come through.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beatnik_chik
Lightly Effervescent

Helpless!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2005 07:58:29 PM »

I think knitting messd up my fingerprints. They use high tech scanners now and the scanner couldn't get good prints because my thumb and pointer had so many scratches from needles and yarn I presume. I wonder if that is why my security clearance hasn't come through.
maybe you should do a bank heist while you're at it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<{{{><
And like a downward smoke, the slender stream
Along the cliff to fall and pause and fall did seem.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Draw A Wave
Learn How To Draw A Reindeer
How To Draw A Cookie Monster
How To Draw A Halloween Cat
How To Draw A Ghost
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...