A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 303,140
Currently Running With Scissors:
603 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I modestified my dress  (Read 2268 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
Tutorial Contributor

Busy sculpting...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: July 10, 2011 08:13:04 PM »

I bought a cute sleeveless dress at the Van Heusen outlet last week while out shopping with my aunt and Mom. Together with the short sleeve cardigan, I spent $50. not bad since the dress was originally $88 and the cardi was $65. But while laying in bed last night I was thinking that it was going to be dang ht wearing that cardi in 115 degree weather in Arizona. So I wondered if I could make sleeves for the dress somehow. While playing with changing the length of the dress, I realized that there wasn't enough fabric to cut off and it still be modest. I wear a longish underwear that looks a lot like a biker short, and I have to be careful about the length of my dresses, skirts and shorts. In the morning I remembered that I had a blue and white stripe that I could use to fill in the gaps. I sadly didn't take a before picture, but I was able to find a picture of a similar style dress.
Before (sort of):
 I cut off about 5 1/2" off the bottom of the dress and added the stripe to replace it. Then I took the fabric that I cut off and the stripe and constructed a little puff sleeve.

close up of sleeve:

I glad that I was able to figure this out. It's going to a useful thing to know, since there are so many cute sleeveless dresses out there, and when my girls get old enough to go to prom/homecoming, I'll know how to add sleeves to their dresses. Thankfully that will be a little while yet. My eldest daughter is only four years old. She's the cutie getting in on the photo shoot above.

I drew a picture in paint, but can't figure out how to get it on here. When I figure that out, I'll share it with you.

This is a very crude drawing of what I did. the sleeve is actually symmetrical, although you can't see that in my poor drawing.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011 08:28:56 PM by craftewoman » THIS ROCKS   Logged

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011 04:22:22 AM »

Those sleeves are very cute and do the job perfectly and the blue stripe material looks made for the purpose.

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
Tutorial Contributor

Busy sculpting...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011 08:11:30 AM »

It was well received at church and people didn't realize that it wasn't originally made that way. So I'm glad it turned out so well. thanks.

hopscotch on bubble-wrap

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011 08:51:57 PM »

I think I'm going to have to use your new word "modestify" alot!  I know exactly what you mean. 

I tell people that half the reason I sew is so that when my daughters are old enough, maybe I'll be good enough to make their prom dresses.  That way a mom doesn't have to worry so much about finding something that isn't putting ideas into boys' heads!

I have boxes of vintage piano music.  Some as old as 1890's!  PM me if you'd like some!
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011 05:55:47 PM »

Genius! Very well done, and it's so nice when a small change makes a big difference Cheesy

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2011 11:01:55 AM »

That's so lovely! The fabrics fit together very well... I think I prefer the dress this way ^_^

Edit: Because I have this thing against showing my shoulders in situations that are even remotely formal (like, going to class). So for me this is a very apt modestification.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011 11:04:21 AM by Renato » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Skirt Steak
Tailgating Food 101
Collard Greens : How to Cook Southern, Soul Food Collard Greens
How to Make Homemade Dinner Yeast Rolls
Microwave Peanut Brittle Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Craftster Quickies: How to Make Spooky Halloween Decorations
Craft Challenge #110 Announced - Halloween Costume Contest!
Tute Tuesday: Witch Hat Fascinator

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...