A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 296,643
Currently Running With Scissors:
733 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I modestified my dress  (Read 1897 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

craftewoman
Tutorial Contributor

Busy sculpting...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: July 10, 2011 08:13:04 PM »

I bought a cute sleeveless dress at the Van Heusen outlet last week while out shopping with my aunt and Mom. Together with the short sleeve cardigan, I spent $50. not bad since the dress was originally $88 and the cardi was $65. But while laying in bed last night I was thinking that it was going to be dang ht wearing that cardi in 115 degree weather in Arizona. So I wondered if I could make sleeves for the dress somehow. While playing with changing the length of the dress, I realized that there wasn't enough fabric to cut off and it still be modest. I wear a longish underwear that looks a lot like a biker short, and I have to be careful about the length of my dresses, skirts and shorts. In the morning I remembered that I had a blue and white stripe that I could use to fill in the gaps. I sadly didn't take a before picture, but I was able to find a picture of a similar style dress.
Before (sort of):

I cut off about 5 1/2" off the bottom of the dress and added the stripe to replace it. Then I took the fabric that I cut off and the stripe and constructed a little puff sleeve.
After:

close up of sleeve:

I glad that I was able to figure this out. It's going to a useful thing to know, since there are so many cute sleeveless dresses out there, and when my girls get old enough to go to prom/homecoming, I'll know how to add sleeves to their dresses. Thankfully that will be a little while yet. My eldest daughter is only four years old. She's the cutie getting in on the photo shoot above.

I drew a picture in paint, but can't figure out how to get it on here. When I figure that out, I'll share it with you.

This is a very crude drawing of what I did. the sleeve is actually symmetrical, although you can't see that in my poor drawing.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2011 08:28:56 PM by craftewoman » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Antidigger
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011 04:22:22 AM »

Those sleeves are very cute and do the job perfectly and the blue stripe material looks made for the purpose.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
craftewoman
Tutorial Contributor

Busy sculpting...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011 08:11:30 AM »

It was well received at church and people didn't realize that it wasn't originally made that way. So I'm glad it turned out so well. thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dulcet

hopscotch on bubble-wrap

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011 08:51:57 PM »

I think I'm going to have to use your new word "modestify" alot!  I know exactly what you mean. 

I tell people that half the reason I sew is so that when my daughters are old enough, maybe I'll be good enough to make their prom dresses.  That way a mom doesn't have to worry so much about finding something that isn't putting ideas into boys' heads!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Scholars and artists...differ most importantly in the way their knowledge is come by.  Scholars get theirs with conscientious thoroughness along projected lines of logic; poets...stick to nothing deliberately, but let what will stick to them like burrs where they walk in the fields.
  -Robert Frost
Alexus1325
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011 05:55:47 PM »

Genius! Very well done, and it's so nice when a small change makes a big difference Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Renato
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2011 11:01:55 AM »

That's so lovely! The fabrics fit together very well... I think I prefer the dress this way ^_^

Edit: Because I have this thing against showing my shoulders in situations that are even remotely formal (like, going to class). So for me this is a very apt modestification.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011 11:04:21 AM by Renato » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Food Pyramid Design
How to Write Like an Architect Series Preview
Her Health Minute with Artist Darin Grandmason
How a Manufacturer Innovates ECommerce Operations
How Moo Cards Plots a Small Business Design Revolution
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...