A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,694
Currently Running With Scissors:
501 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Launched solo shop. Would love feedback.  (Read 713 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

DaBunny

Stay clean. Make soap.

View Profile WWW
« on: May 17, 2011 10:46:18 AM »

I am freeing myself up from being tied to etsy - I haven't decided if I'll stay or go completely solo or not yet - but I recently launched my own web shop. I would greatly appreciate any feedback on it. It feels a little bland to me, but I don't know what to do to "spice" it up. I use bigcartel so the featured products are not optional - I have to show at least one, so I chose three since they fit nicely in one row. I made product category descriptions on my main page and chose to have the featured products on top. I'm not sure if I need more of a description or not on the main shop page. My main website http://www.soapdelicatessen.com kind of says it all but I'm concerned about those who may be just entering from my shop - though I do have an about page on my shop just in case as well as customer testimonials. My shop is here: http://shop.soapdelicatessen.com Any suggestions or things you would do differently? Or is it sufficient. Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Rebecca's Soap Delicatessen - Buy soap.
Soap Deli News - My soap blog.
JFeathersmith
Bending wire to my will since 2010

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011 06:35:19 AM »

I like the fact that it is a clean, simple, uncluttered design. I really like it a lot, actually; it's kind of rare to see good, uncluttered design.

One thing I don't like is the spacing between items, both the "Featured Items" trio and on the separate categories pages. The pictures look too close together and crowded. The spacing between categories below the Featured Items is much nicer. I don't know how much control you have over that, though, and if I weren't looking at your page with the intent of providing feedback, I don't think I would flee in horror or anything.

Having the About section as its own page, rather than incorporated into the main storefront, is not a problem. I'd rather see what items a shop has to offer up front, instead of the About information - as long as I can find the About/Profile/whatever linked to somewhere. (I also don't really care about customer testimonials; I almost never read them.)

On the whole, I think if you didn't touch it again it would be better than a lot of other shops.

(Also, the pictures of the sugar scrub cubes are making my mouth water.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011 04:56:12 AM »

I'm not crazy about the soap colors on the home page - too much deep, hard color when everything else is soft. Maybe change the grayish background color to something warmer, like a lighter flesh tone to match the girl's face. Can't say for sure, but perhaps because there are no real borders anywhere except for the header, things seem like they're floating around. I don't know if you have a choice of templates there, but you might consider using one with some borders to clearly separate the goods from the sidebar or other features.

I don't understand the t-shirt and the "other" things for sale. The t-shirt and button takes the focus away from your soap and makes your site seem like a junk shop. I would keep customer testimonials. It doesn't cost anything/never hurts to have them and for folks who are leery of trying a new vendor, testimonials from satisfied customers boost their confidence to buy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DaBunny

Stay clean. Make soap.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011 03:21:28 PM »

One thing I don't like is the spacing between items, both the "Featured Items" trio and on the separate categories pages. The pictures look too close together and crowded. The spacing between categories below the Featured Items is much nicer. I don't know how much control you have over that, though, and if I weren't looking at your page with the intent of providing feedback, I don't think I would flee in horror or anything.
------------
Yeah I can't control that. It shows three in a row no matter what.

Thanks for your feedback!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DaBunny

Stay clean. Make soap.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011 03:25:42 PM »

I'm not crazy about the soap colors on the home page - too much deep, hard color when everything else is soft. Maybe change the grayish background color to something warmer, like a lighter flesh tone to match the girl's face. Can't say for sure, but perhaps because there are no real borders anywhere except for the header, things seem like they're floating around. I don't know if you have a choice of templates there, but you might consider using one with some borders to clearly separate the goods from the sidebar or other features.
---------------
For the main site the gray top bar was the best option that allowed for what I wanted. I chose the darker soaps because they are the newer ones and plan to rotate those as products change seasonally.

I don't understand the t-shirt and the "other" things for sale. The t-shirt and button takes the focus away from your soap and makes your site seem like a junk shop.
------------
I have a lot of handmade inventory left over from my b&m shop I had with my ex-husband that I couldn't sell when on etsy. I can change the featured products though to best selling items so only b&b shows in the featured items rather than showing newest first.

I would keep customer testimonials. It doesn't cost anything/never hurts to have them and for folks who are leery of trying a new vendor, testimonials from satisfied customers boost their confidence to buy.
-------------
I agree especially b/c it's b&b. Thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DaBunny

Stay clean. Make soap.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011 09:05:53 AM »

Okay, I've re-worked the site again. Nixed gray navigation bar. Changed some pictures. Added some pages: soap gallery, retail shop page, bath + body recipes and handmade soap recipes. What do you think now?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FoxyBlue
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011 10:46:18 AM »

Your website is AWESOME! I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I looooooove personal swaps! Anyone want to do a wall art swap??
My blog: http://foxybluecreations.blogspot.com/
facebook fan page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Deedras-Art/257639572940
DaBunny

Stay clean. Make soap.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011 04:17:41 PM »

Awww. Thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AshtonagoL
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011 06:10:16 PM »

Consider me answering this as a customer, rather than seller since I'm not a big seller yet.  Your website looks very professional.  I'm not a person who really buys handmade soap BUT, when I saw your prices I thought they seemed very reasonable and I would actually consider buying some.  But, had I not been "critiquing" (sp?) your website, I probably wouldn't have clicked on from the homepage to the shop since soap isn't something I'm usually interested in. So my one and only suggestion would be to maybe have a featured "sale" item on the homepage to entice ppl like me.  Honestly, when I saw the prices I still wouldn't really consider buying it for myself but I thought, "Not a bad price.  Would make a good gift!"  If there had been an item with a good price on the homepage, I would definitely click and and check out your shop.  Anyway, looks really nice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dannyzhang
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011 12:35:00 AM »

Simple and clean, I love it!~ Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Crown
How to Crochet a Shell Stitch
How to Filet Crochet
How to Crochet a Bracelet
How to Make a Panda Mask
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup
@Home This Weekend: Bee Magnets
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...