A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,560
Currently Running With Scissors:
713 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cat and Kittens Birthday Cake  (Read 1424 times)
Tags for this thread: cake_decorating  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

wwrich
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Elsbeth's Mom

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: May 16, 2011 07:30:31 PM »

I created a cake for my daughter's birthday on Saturday.  Friday night, she decided that she wanted kittens!  3 cake mixes and a lot of candy later, we had this!

This was (partially) in honor of our newest family member:

Hope you enjoy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Obsessed with Monster High dolls lately.

In the Chicago area?  Want to come to a great crafty weekend?  Check out http://www.musecon.org/
Teresa_T
Without Cats I'm Nothing

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011 11:16:57 PM »

Truly one of the cutest things I've ever seen on Craftster! What a darling idea.

And the real kitty is so cute too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CMV
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011 08:03:36 AM »

Hi and awfully cute!  I'd like to borrow your idea for our grandson's birthday next weekend and have candy questions so I won't spend a lot of time searching.  What did you use for the ears, eyes and mouth on the cupcakes?  I don't know if I will make the large cake or just form the cupcakes into the number 8.  Still deciding since I will probably be the only one doing the baking and decorating.  Thanks and ciao!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wwrich

Elsbeth's Mom

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011 09:20:25 AM »

Hi and awfully cute!  I'd like to borrow your idea for our grandson's birthday next weekend and have candy questions so I won't spend a lot of time searching.  What did you use for the ears, eyes and mouth on the cupcakes?  I don't know if I will make the large cake or just form the cupcakes into the number 8.  Still deciding since I will probably be the only one doing the baking and decorating.  Thanks and ciao!

Thanks.  Feel free to borrow!  That's where I got it from!

The eyes on the big cat were green fruit roll-ups, cut into shape, then I added a line with black frosting in a can.  The kitten eyes were mini M&Ms. 

All the ears and noses were starburst candies (strawberry flavored, but a couple of watermelon ones snuck in there too.  The little noses were cut into 4 pieces with a knife.  I didn't shape them at all.  The big one, I shaped into a cat nose shape just using my fingers.  I held it in my hand before I unwrapped it to warm it up a little bit.  I think I read somewhere that a few seconds in the microwave will work too.  The ears were the same candies, but I took the rolling pin to them, then cut into triangle shapes.  Again, warming them up a bit helps to make them roll out easier.  Also, a fresh bag of candy helps -- don't use the Halloween leftovers for this!

The whiskers and mouth on the big one, and the mouths on the small ones were "pull apart" twizlers.  (I looked for black ones, but my store didn't carry them.)  I just pulled them apart, cut to length with a knife, and stuck them on.  (We ate the ones that were too short)

The whiskers on the kittens were potato sticks in a can.

I tried to do the black frosting in a can for whiskers, but I couldn't get the control needed for effective looking whiskers.  I might have been able to do it with a pastry bag and softer frosting, but I didn't want to take that much time!  Thin pretzels would also probably work for the whiskers (I bought a bag of those too, but liked the potato things better)

We ended up putting the candles into the big cake, but the kids at the birthday party all wanted the kittens!  We ate the big cake at the "adult" party a couple of days later.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

In the Chicago area?  Want to come to a great crafty weekend?  Check out http://www.musecon.org/
CMV
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011 08:48:48 AM »

WOW!  You really spent a lot of time and thought on the decorations.  Thanks for the help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wwrich

Elsbeth's Mom

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011 05:57:24 AM »

WOW!  You really spent a lot of time and thought on the decorations.  Thanks for the help.

Not really.  I bought this book a while ago.  Many of the ideas came from in there -- I just modified them to suit my immediate needs.  I did spend way too much time at the grocery store, but that was mostly because the stuff I was looking for wasn't in the same place.  I ended up looking at stuff all over the store, because the candy was in one place, the baking stuff in another, and the pretzels and chips in yet another!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Face Paint Tools for a Galactic Alien
How to Face Paint a Galactic Alien
Margo Machida Profiles Asian American Activist Artists
Artist Wucius Wong Describes Chinese Calligraphy
Superhero Origins: Beast
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...