A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 298,062
Currently Running With Scissors:
687 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 29
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dia de los Muertos / Mexican Folk Art Swap GALLERY (send outs 5/30)  (Read 20558 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ivoryh1632
« Reply #200 on: June 14, 2011 01:02:24 AM »

Love the kitchenware. Such a good idea using the felt skulls for napkin rings. How did you do the coasters and placemats? They look amazing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kiwi-Chickie

I am a hippy at heart...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #201 on: June 14, 2011 12:40:34 PM »

Those napkin rings are awesome! (Loving the coasters too!!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RetroGypsy
« Reply #202 on: June 14, 2011 01:55:11 PM »

Yes, please do tell...how did you do up the placemats and coasters?  I was just thinking that I needed to figure out how to make some.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
smushisweetbaboo

Anything worth keeping I inevitably give away...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #203 on: June 14, 2011 02:13:23 PM »

hi guys. i'm home. it's been a long day. about halfway through our 9 hour drive home from vacation my mom called me to say she came over to check on my dogs and someone had let them out of the yard. Melvin was hit on the highway near our home sometime last night or this morning.

he was an idiot; but he was my idiot, and i loved him.

i promise to sit down tomorrow or the next day and get everybody's statuses updated, but i just don't have it in me to do it tonight. thank you for your patience and understanding.

erica

Erica, I am so sorry to hear this. I know how I feel about my dog and I can only imagine what you are going through. You are a lovely, generous person and I send you positive energy during this transition period. (((hugs)))
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JPea
« Reply #204 on: June 14, 2011 02:41:40 PM »

Hi guys, well I'd love to say making the placemats and coasters was more elaborate then it actually was, but it was a print out, cut out and stick on job!  I had made pin-up girlie ones once before following this tute:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=47001.30
So just used the same process but using mamaedgar's picture, my tip would be that a good printer / resolution of the pic helped.

JPea x x

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nothing handmade is ever perfect
smushisweetbaboo

« Reply #205 on: June 14, 2011 04:55:51 PM »

Okay so, I am posting pics of the items I sent to my partner who unfortunately is hospital bound. I only had my crap cell camera at the time, of course, because I was moving! My partner basically wanted stuff to do with Frida Kahlo, likes bright colors and colors paired with white, wanted a shrine, mentioned friendship bracelets...trays and boxes, etc.

So I made her a bottlecap mirror using Loteria images, I had Pinned one and she mentioned wanting one...I did aged the whole shebang, including mirror, so it would look more authentic:

close up:

I also made her a Frida shrine. I worked a long time on this, adding, subtracting...wish the pics were better! I used a photocopy of a postcard pic and altered the image. The glass pebbles read 'viva la vida' across the bottom:

A Frida frame, with the postcard pic in it for lack of something else:

A Frida mini-altoid tin shrine:

Front:

Inside:

A Posada calavera skull tray (I photocopied then aged and colored the image, used black gesso as a base for the tray so it would more closely resemble painted Mexican furniture):

another view from side:

A painted Frida Folk Art picture holder (has those wire thingies to hold pics, can't see in pic): I left this pretty plain to emulate folk art:

Hand colored (with Sharpie) sugar skull tealight holder:

Glass pebble Loteria magnets (these are the larger pebbles):

My version of a friendship bracelet (peyote stitch with a loteria parrot clasp):

Some extras: I made the Ojo de Dios, natch, but the milagros charm is vintage brass from Mexico and the little baby is because my partner was finding the Little Baby Jesus discussion hysterical...

Some more extras (sugar skull stickers and banner):

Hopefully my poor partner will recuperate quickly and can go home soon!

~smushi
THIS ROCKS   Logged

smushisweetbaboo

« Reply #206 on: June 14, 2011 05:14:11 PM »

so our wonderful swap leader Erica sent me goodies and I didn't even know they were coming! I didn't get internet back until Thursday which is when I got the package!!!

The whole wonderful lot:

She knew I was into tattoos and tattoo art so I got these awesome original pieces right off the wall of her tattoo shop!!!!

This is so cool, it's on corrugated cardboard and you can even still see the can imprints from soda or something (I LOVE repurposing stuff for art supplies!!!!)

sign:

I believe her sis-in-law made the felted skully and as you can see there are lots of awesome supplies:

And this is so timely because I've been dying to get start some embroidery for my new apartment: lots of line tracings to use as embroidery patterns!!! Most I believe were original and a couple were refined from internet pics (Erica can rephrase that it if I got it wrong, lol). I believe I have the original poster of the skulls embracing design so I can't wait to embroider that for my bedroom! (My hubby and I have a somewhat morbid sense of what is romantic):

Again, thank you so much Erica for helping out my partner in an unexpected and difficult situation! You are awesome!!!!

~smushi

THIS ROCKS   Logged

hgddm

What a piece of work is man!

« Reply #207 on: June 14, 2011 10:58:29 PM »

looooove the tattoo art, the frida shrine, the embroidery patterns, and the ojo de dios! (why didn't I think of doing that?!?) lol@ the little baby!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wax51
« Reply #208 on: June 15, 2011 06:12:04 AM »

Oooh erica- we are crying for you & Melvin!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/wax51

I am totally after a Ying/Yang made of  Fire vs Ice
Wanna draw/paint/sketch me one?
wax51
« Reply #209 on: June 15, 2011 06:32:19 AM »

So here is the super package I got from sheriffkarli- she haz skillz
 Here is a group shot

Awesome shrine "house"- Bright colors & lots of glitter- toss in Frida,skulls.& butterflies- does it get anymore awesome?

Closer shot of skull "room"

Here is "Dead Fred" I loooooooooooooove him- she freehanded his sugar skullness
(sorry I keep flipping him sideways)

Head shot

Cool hanging frame close up

Awesome swap!!! Love everything I got !!!!!
(and everything everyone else got too)

Thanks to awesome swap partner & Leader and everyone else for all the eye candy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/wax51

I am totally after a Ying/Yang made of  Fire vs Ice
Wanna draw/paint/sketch me one?
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 29 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Make a Corsage Bow
How To Make a Boutonniere
How To Make a Calla Lily Arm Bouquet
How to do music jam tracks
Rap Manual: Lesson 6
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...