A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 298,056
Currently Running With Scissors:
805 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 29
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dia de los Muertos / Mexican Folk Art Swap GALLERY (send outs 5/30)  (Read 20540 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

FoxyMama
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

So many fabrics, so little time . . .

FoxyMama loves her FoxyBaby!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: June 03, 2011 09:34:22 PM »

It also helps just to really search the fabric store yourself for what you're looking for.  When I went to Joann's and asked for 'Day of the Dead' fabric, the employee's response was:  "Isn't that the name of that old rock band?"  Well, DUH!  Lips sealed

haha! I described some sugar skull fabric I'd seen and the lady at mine said: "Oh I don't think so. My daughter used to be into all that goth stuff, but we don't really carry that here"

*sigh* that's what I get for being in the south!

LOL! I don't know how far south you are but I'm in Virginia and my Joann's has some pretty cool people working there  Smiley  I bought 5 yards of Los Novios before this swap (even though I didn't end up using it) (no spoilers - my partner has received Cheesy) and I even have an even more awesome one I found in red tag clearance once! *sigh* I love my Joann's  Kiss

~Martha

LOVELOVELOVE that pony and would love a sugar skull mold!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

In creating, the only hard thing's to begin; A grass-blade's no easier to make than an oak.
James Russell Lowell
lanikins
you can't take life too seriously...you'll never make it out alive

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 03, 2011 09:35:13 PM »

SOOOOOOO...who is ready to be JEALOUS?!?!  i received from noooitaremybirthday yesterday...i'm a little speechless once again.  NOW...anyone who has read any of my posts knows that i am the worst photographer alive.  nooo has progress pics up on her blog that are WAY better than the pics i was able to snap...without further ado....

group shot...this art quilt is more than amazing...and it was only her second one!!!!

my own notebook and the cutest bottlecap magnet

...and are you KIDDING ME?!?!  look at the detail in these hand-carved stamps!!!!

flippin AWESOME robot pendant

...crazy cool case for my iPhone...which is currently in use Cheesy

and my bird...how i love my bird SO HARD!!!

i feel like the luckiest chick in the world!!!  i TOTALLY hit the jackpot...i got the most amazing partners anyone could ever ask for!!!  

thank you SOOOOOOOOOOOO much nooo...seriously in awe, and i just hope that what i send you can make you smile as much as you made me!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

erica_tattoos
« Reply #112 on: June 03, 2011 09:45:08 PM »

Awesome! I so remember being able to get sopaipillas with honey or the stuffed ones like sandwiches in Abq when I lived there. I miss those and being able to get green chilies on everything.....

amen amen amen..... i went to college in portales nm and was not a huge fan of green chiles when i arrived but was a total addict by the time i left...  i miss walking into a mexican joint and ordering enchiladas and the waitress saying... "red or green?" man you can't get green sauce here - here they think the main ingredient in green sauce is tomatillos and it makes me sad.  Cry AND yessssssssss to sopapillas! here they think a sopapilla is when you deep fry a flour tortilla and drown it in cinnamon and chocolate syrup and THAT makes me sad!  Cry AAAAAAAAANNDD it's near 'bout impossible to get horchata in these parts too AND the carnitas just don't quite measure up either.... man, i gotta go back to nm for a visit.

okay, now then, where were we? oh, yes, the totally bada$$ package that nooo sent - AWESOME! love the quilt, i don't have an iphone but if i did this is the case i'd carry it in... and i LOVE LOVE LOVE the lil birdie - totally awesome!!! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HootHootHope
« Reply #113 on: June 03, 2011 10:02:54 PM »

Hey guys! I received my package from xTroublex a few days ago but have been working non-stop and haven't had a chance to share my rad gifts! So here you go:

First I got this lovely journal

and this AWESOME necklace which has some great charms, including a beautiful clay rose

and... drum roll please... this fantastic frame!!!

I am very pleased! Thanks so much xTroublex!!!!!!! She also included some worry dolls from a local fair trade shop and some fabric scraps that I did not think to photograph.

So much fun! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
H00lie
« Reply #114 on: June 03, 2011 10:21:53 PM »

Ooh, that bird is amazing!  Shocked  And what a cool art quilt!!!  Man, what an awesome gallery we have!!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RetroGypsy
« Reply #115 on: June 03, 2011 11:19:51 PM »

Okie dokie...so I was/am a swap virgin...this is my first. I had no idea we had our very own forum here to post and comment to. I'm a dork! I posted all the goodies I received from ChristieAnn...but, um, er...me thinks I posted it to the wrongs spot...I put it in the swap gallery. Can I move it? I did it real quick-like before escaping trabajo today since my laptop pooped on me at home.

I have to say that you all ROCK so hard!!! I am in awe of all the talent and yummy Dia de los Muertosness!!!  Cheesy I would sooooooooooooooooooo be down for a round 2 and would totally step it up a notch or 4 with the goodies!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
erica_tattoos
« Reply #116 on: June 03, 2011 11:43:28 PM »

.but, um, er...me thinks I posted it to the wrongs spot...I put it in the swap gallery. Can I move it? I did it real quick-like before escaping trabajo today since my laptop pooped on me at home.

hmmm.... not sure how to go about "moving" it.... i'd think the easiest thing to do would be to go back to where you posted it, click on the lil "quote" button to the top right of your comment. then it will pop up in a reply box with all the code and everything for the pics.... just highlight it all and copy, then come over here hit reply and paste! and then post!  then you can go back and delete it from wherever else it landed.... Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hgddm

What a piece of work is man!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #117 on: June 03, 2011 11:50:51 PM »

oh, wow...love everything. the bottlecap frame is great and that bird is too! WOW! I hope my stuff lives up to all of this...ahem..better get back to work on it Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ivoryh1632
« Reply #118 on: June 04, 2011 02:09:24 AM »

Wow amazing pakages. Love the look of the bottle cap frame. If someone had just described that to me I don't think I'd like the idea but it really looks awsome. The DDM pony is just awsome. And I can't stop giggling (in a good way) at the phone cover with the skull in the tophat, I love how tophats just make everything fancy.

I think the reason I can't find any skully fabric is because I'm in a small very conservative town and most the crafters here are old lady quilters and bible thumper stay at home moms so they aim everythign at that crowd. I can usually find stuff that's pirate-skully and a lot of its really cute but its just not always what I want. At halloween we usually get some cool spiderey stuff and maybe some monsterey stuff but never any skulls either. I have thought about ordering online but I'm just always scared to do that. I have to feel a fabric to see if I like it ya know, if only I could just reach into the computer and feel a sample lol. But I'm gonna have to get over that fear soon because I bought a panel of some crazy yellow submarine fabric a while back and the only place I can find matching fabric is online and its just yelling at me to turn it into a quilt for my dad. So maybe after that I'll feel more comfortable about buying fabric online.

And all this talk of mexican food is making me sooooooo homesick for san diego. For a state that's so close to mexico, AZ has pathetic mexican food. I miss little dirty taco stands and talking my way into staying for dinner at my mexican friends' mom's house
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ivoryh1632
« Reply #119 on: June 04, 2011 02:26:05 AM »

I also love the zombie knitting magnet  Wink Reminds me of a zombie crossstitch book my friend gave me. Its got this whole thing in the intro about how zombies

zombie crossstitch book?!?!?! I don't think you understand how much I need that!

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Zombie-Cross-Stitch/Kristy-Kizzee/e/9781435124103
This is the one I have, its a little kit and it comes with a couple needles a peice of aida cloth and a few skeens of off-brand floss, enough to do like 3 or 4 of the 12 designs.
This is the only thing I've made from it so far. I started on a purse with the thriller zombie but it got put on hold because I went on a swapping spree.
http://s14.photobucket.com/albums/a335/ilikedinosoars/?action=view&current=IMG_0541.jpg

But the first thing I did was scan all the patterns in the book because my bad eyes can't read a grid that's only a few inches wide so I needed to print them full page size. So if you PM me your e-mail I can send you the patterns.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 29 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
40s Inspired Hairstyles at Carolina Herrera Fall 2013 Show
Summer Hair Care Tips For Moms
Cut Down Your Morning Routine With the Best Dry Shampoos
How To Blow Dry Your Bangs Like A Pro
Easy Braided Updo Tutorial: Summer Wedding Style
Latest Blog Articles
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...