A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 299,152
Currently Running With Scissors:
539 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Jenna's Bag ~ Sew-Phisticat pattern  (Read 2042 times)
Tags for this thread: shoulder_bag  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Deece in MN
« on: May 16, 2011 03:21:40 PM »

I was asked by my local quilt guild to be the speaker next month.  I am going to talk about making bags.  I make a lot of bags and I guess that makes me worthy of speaking on the topic (not according to me, but I was honored they asked).  Grin
They also asked me to teach a class the following day.  I spent a long time trying to find a pattern that would incorporate as many techniques as possible, yet be simple enough so everyone (hopefully) can complete it in the amount of time allowed for the class.
I ended up choosing Jenna's Bag by Sew-Phisticat designs.  I like the bag and I think it will be good for the class.  I am going to make another one for my cousin. 
The pattern has an optional adjustable handle, but I couldn't do that in my sample because I couldn't find a slider anywhere locally and didn't have time to order one on-line.
Anyway, here is the purse.

Front

Back

Pocket under front flap

Inside

Thanks for looking. Smiley
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011 03:22:59 PM by Deece in MN » THIS ROCKS   Logged

fiddlegirl8
Sew, Sew Happy!!

Are you going to throw that away?! Can I have it?!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011 03:51:55 PM »

Deece - Your bag is "sew" cute - I love your fabric selection too - wish I could take the class with you as the teacher!   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Oh, give me a home where the buffalo roam...  (Kansas State Song)
xperimentl
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011 04:39:47 PM »

Looks like a great, functional design.  Those fabrics are beautiful.  Good luck with your class!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You can't use up creativity.  The more you use, the more you have."  Maya Angelou

My Flickr
My Pinterest
Deece in MN
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011 07:02:12 PM »

Deece - Your bag is "sew" cute - I love your fabric selection too - wish I could take the class with you as the teacher!   Cheesy

Thank you!  That is very nice of you to say.  I think it would be neat to have someone from Craftster in my class.   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Deece in MN
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011 07:03:30 PM »

Looks like a great, functional design.  Those fabrics are beautiful.  Good luck with your class!

Thank you!  It really is a nice little purse. Smiley  I am going to have to make one for myself as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AshtonagoL
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011 07:22:00 PM »

That's really cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

laurakam
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011 05:00:25 AM »

Cute purse, I like to make bags too. I always struggle with what to use for interfacing, what kind did you use ? Thanks for posting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011 11:41:14 AM »

I love that you will be teaching others to make their own bag! I think that you covered a lot in one bag, but if you run out of time, you could leave some things out...

Love the fabrics! Lots of luck with your class!  The bag will get the class excited!

You can always make the handles adjustable by using two "d" rings or even two rings of any kind...I buy those by the dozens at the hardware store for super cheap! Sew two onto one tab, slide the fabric through and around one...great way to make apron ties adjustable as well!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fuzzysquare
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011 01:17:41 PM »

This is awesome! I love love love your fabric choices, especially the kaleidoscopic looking pattern. Best of luck on your class!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Deece in MN
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2011 05:36:39 AM »

Cute purse, I like to make bags too. I always struggle with what to use for interfacing, what kind did you use ? Thanks for posting.

Interfacing can be tricky.  I have found that it can be a lot of trial and error.  One thing to know is what you want from your bag.  If you want a soft, less structured bag you need a different interfacing/batting combination than a more structured bag.
There is a lot of great info on the web.  Start by googling interfacing and you will come up with a lot of information.

In this bag I used my new favorite interfacing: Pellon Shape-Flex.  It is a fusible woven and I really like it for bags.  I also used a product called Soft and Stable.  It is a thin, dense foam that can be used in place of batting.  It gives structure, but is lightweight.  It will get bulky in the seams, so I usually trim it out of my seam allowances.  I am going to make another version of this bag and try fusible fleece in place of the Soft and Stable just to see how the bag turns out with a different interfacing/batting combination.

Hope that helps a bit. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Breakfast Cookie for Oatmeal Lovers
A Peanut Butter Cookie, Reinvented for 8AM
Why You Should Be Eating Buckwheat Pancakes
How to Make Eggnog Cupcakes With Spiced Frosting
These Are The Cuddliest Gingerbread Men Ever
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...