A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,496
Currently Running With Scissors:
669 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wearing My Heart - Or At Least My Epaulets - On My Sleeve (SO MANY PICTURES)  (Read 6275 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

onceupon
« on: May 15, 2011 07:51:56 PM »

This past fall, alice + olivia had a tshirt with feathered epaulets that made me kind of swoon. There were only two problems: 1) the tshirt was almost $300 and 2) they don't make plus sizes. But it was one of those things I totally looked at and figured I could make myself; of course, I didn't get around to doing anything about that until this week. *grin*

My first pair was pretty simple:

That's a sewn felt base, with fringe and feathers. I glued the feathers on (Fabri-Fac, y'all) and then sewed them as well so they'd be extra secure. Nothing worse, when it comes to wearing feathers, than shedding them everywhere you go. I added a rhinestone finish at the end that goes under the collar. Here's a wider shot:

They match some of the colors in my hair - when I wore them to work, I spent half the day with coworkers touching my shoulders and the other half forgetting I had them on and being startled when I saw them out of the corner of my eye!

I used stiff felt and a bangle bracelet to make my epaulet bases:

I sewed two forms together (and the fringe can be sandwiched between the layers to hide the trim edge as well, and ran several lines of stitching down the length of the piece for stability:

I used feathers from the home dec/floral department rather than those in the regular craft department - you get better/bigger feathers for less fundage - you just have to take them off the stick. And floral stuff is often on sale, which is even better. The second set I made was yellow:

Again, I glued and screwed (to borrow a phrase from the woodworkers) for extra stability. The Fabri-Tac just needs to dry before you sew it. I was pleased with how they turned out:

Again, I put rhinestones on the collar edge to finish it - plus, I can't resist an opportunity for rhinestones:

I used strips of felt to attach safety pins to the back in two places (one at each end, basically) so that every epaulet could be moved from garment to garment:

Feathers are one of my favorite things but it seemed like a cool challenge to make a set that was just jeweled. I followed the same basic construction principles but made them with just a circle of felt (again, two layers for structure):

Making epaulets is kind of addictive. Which is why I wound up making yet another pair - a deluxe pair with twice as many feathers and a really kind of extravagant feel to them. They bring the drama:

If you've made it this far, thanks for hanging in there! I'm completely obsessed - and I've got a fairly sizable feather and rhinestone stash - so I know I'll be making more of these. Fortunately, my coworkers have come to expect this sort of thing from me. *grin* It's sort of amazing to me how these epaulets transform blazers and jackets I never ever wear (I keep trying to be one of those pulled-together women in a blazer and jeans and heels but I'm just not that minimalist) into jackets and blazers I want to wear every single day all the time ever.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sheriffkarli
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011 08:04:06 PM »

These are great! I love the feathers, and the rhinestones remind me of lady gaga!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my crafting blog and tutorials at www.madebykarli.com
arachnes thumb
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011 08:44:37 PM »

GAH!!  that's AWESOME!   I love the zipper-flower...and the pink feathers....and the fact that all of the epaulets detach and can be transferred from garment to garment...and the fact that you saved yourself some serious money.  Have fun wearing them all!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ScrappySue
Tutorial Contributor

Oh, not you. We named the monkey Jack.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011 09:25:40 PM »

what a seriously better idea than any tshirt!
I love that you can mix them up and add to differant garments!
Brilliant!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've started a wist!
http://wists.com/scrappysue
working on the Teesha Moore craftalong
Destashing the craft room
onceupon
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011 06:33:39 AM »

I think putting the money into materials instead of a finish product is half the fun of making stuff - especially on projects like this where the materials just really don't cost nearly as much as people are charging for the finished product.

Swapping these out on my jackets is totally making me want to wear my jackets - but it's 90 degrees here and will be until September at least. I'm going to start wearing epaulets on dresses, I suspect. *laugh*

Thanks, y'all! I appreciate the feedback and I'm so glad people like them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mara Macabre
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011 12:50:43 PM »

sooo cool,
i love it Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Liannalives
craft machine

peace is something we make with our lives.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011 03:31:08 PM »

OMG, wisted! These are soo awesome and unique. I must make some!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

liannalives.tumblr.com
thestarcow
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011 10:16:22 AM »

WOW! Do want! Thanks for sharing, they look awesome. I will def have to find some feathers/jewels/fun bits and make one of my own. I really like the asymmetrical look with one of these, but haven't seen one to my taste in shops. I guess being crafty kind of solves that problem... Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jannapy
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011 01:47:57 PM »

1st, these ROCK!!!   2nd, did you cut the bangle in half?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you can't do it with duck tape...it can't be done!

http://sundayinthecountry.blogspot.com/
mingus107
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2011 04:14:11 PM »

WOW!!!!! I am in LOVE! The red ones are INCREDIBLE! I'm going to start a wist, just so I can add these to it. THIS ROCKS!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Basic Tips for Ponytails
Hair Extensions For Bangs
How to Trim Your Bangs
Japanese Inspired Hairstyles
Lela Rose Backstage Hair Trends - Fall 2009
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...