A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 300,872
Currently Running With Scissors:
590 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Headband  (Read 1404 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sk8rkat14

Without me it would just aweso

View Profile WWW
« on: May 15, 2011 06:52:25 PM »

So I have a great love of modcloth.com And I recently fell in love with this headbandSo I measured out the average size and such of a headband, but I guess I am having trouble figuring out how to make the chart of the image and make it applicable to my size or whatever.And as usual this headband is long gone. I guess my question is how do I being to start this project. I have always been a pattern follower and not much of a pattern maker. Or would it just be a better idea to make a headband base and just embroider the logo? Any thoughts comments, or hints are especially welcomed. Thank you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
striker923

Rogues do it from behind

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011 08:47:10 AM »

To make a headband this size and keep it as close to the original as possible, you would probably have to use a fingering/sock weight yarn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mossie
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011 07:00:28 PM »

How big do you want the headband to be circumference wise?  I think I could chart this for you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sk8rkat14

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011 04:36:56 AM »

Sorry for answering back so late, but yeah I think I may want it 6 1/2 or 7 inches long. That way when my big head inevitably stretches it I wont stretch it to the point where it will no longer fit. But if you can make a chart then that would be great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mossie
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011 07:53:43 PM »

I've got a draft that I'm happy with...the problem I encountered was gauge.  In order to get the amount of detail in the picture provided, you would need a really large number of stitches per inch.  If you were to knit the draft I'm posting you'll need around 12 stitches per inch to make the entire width of "TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA" to be 6.5-7 inches or 6-7 (6.3 to be more precise) stitches per inch for the word "TURTLES" to be in the right range.  If you're willing to increase the stitches per inch (smaller needles...ick), I can do a more detailed chart.  It's a fun challenge.

Other notes: I make my graph paper in Excel which limits the width...end result is a two page chart.  Print them out, tape them together, and play make believe that's it's one wide-enough chart.  My laziness prohibited me from filling in all of the blue background.  You'll need to mentally change the white square to blue ones.  Finally, I didn't know if you would need a full pattern or just a chart.  I've only done a chart, but a pattern shouldn't be too hard.  Let me know...I'll need a little more info on the original item.  I couldn't find it on the site you referenced and I still don't have a complete enough mental image of what you want to make to do a full pattern.

Alright, enough with the small talk, here's the chart draft.

Added after previewing: I can't work out how to get the pictures to be bigger on the Craftster Photo Hosting site...PM me with an e-mail address and I'll e-mail you full sized images if you'd like.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sk8rkat14

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011 12:04:25 PM »

You are total awesome sauce, (sorry I have been watching parks and recreation too much) but yeah if all else fails I will just put this on a bag or something. I have basically no experience with chart work but this will entice me to start. Again thank you so much.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Birchbox November 2014: Sneak Peek
3 Skin Care Myths Busted
Is L’Oreal Magic Nude The Perfect Giorgio Armani Foundation Dupe?
The Right Way to Apply Cream Blush
Beauty Report: A/W Nail Colour Favourites
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Super Easy Peppermint Bark
Handmade Gift Ideas: Grey & Plum Button Wreath
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...