A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,647
Currently Running With Scissors:
779 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Central Park and Yellow Linen Patchwork Pillow - Iron Craft Spring Challenge!  (Read 957 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

craftydame
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

i love glitter and glitter loves me.

hi craftster! i've missed you!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: May 15, 2011 12:13:31 AM »

i'm not sure if people are familiar with the Iron Craft challenge, but i'm totally loving it.

basically, it's two friends who facilitate weekly challenges, one for every week of the year. every thursday there's a new theme, and the next wednesday, everyone posts pictures to the flickr group to show what they were inspired to make. every couple of months they have a contest, which is what this past week was, but mostly it's just for the fun of it! i've been focusing a lot on quilting and needlework for the past year or so, and even though Iron Craft isn't quilting focused, or even fabric focused, it's awesome for inspiration.

so that's the backstory! and as i said, this past week was the Spring Contest, with the really open theme of spring. this is what i made.

id been planning this project for awhile, so Iron Craft was the perfect motivator. whats more spring-like than bright yellow linen, really?

my sister got the linen piece for me at a stitch and swap, because she knows how much i love coloured linen. i dont know the full fabric content, but its lovely. it had been torn, and therefore the edges were really wavy, and for the life of me i couldnt press them out, so i used Best Press, which is a pretty magical product! (its like starch, but better)

the yellow is the perfect shade to use with the second half of my Kate Spain Central Park charm pack (by Moda). i had some orange linen, but it wasnt really the right shade, so i was really happy when she finally remembered to give it to me.

i made up blocks, sewed them all together, and decided i hated, so i unpicked it all, snd started over. i decided to figure it out inphotoshop before i sewed anything else together!

i took some photos of the blocks, and chose the clearest one of each fabric. then i rotated them around, playing with the layout until i came up with this one. it's interesting how the prints and the geometric design that they create are prominent here, but in the actual pillow, the sashing and the cross/plus signs that it creates is most prominent. i think if id added yellow sashing around the entire piece, it might have changed that because once i stuffed the pillow, the top and bottom blocks kind of disappeared into the curve.

(the prints used are, from left to right, esplanade in sunshine, seneca in metro, trefoil in sunshine, carousel in sunshine, cherry hill in metro, and bridle path in metro)

the backing is orange kona cotton, because i freaking love konas. i put a layer of quilt batting against it, but didn't actually quilt it, i just wanted to ensure that the back was smooth after i filled the pillow with batting.

i did quilt the front though, with a fairly thin cotton batting. i havent washed the pillow yet, but i think its gonna scrunch up nicely!

i wanted the prints to be the focus (though i kinda failed with that, since i didn't takethe curve of the pillow into account), so i only quilted on the linen, around the chain created by the prints.

these arent my usual colours at all, but i really love how it turned out! im really excited about using this basic pattern for larger projects. i havent decided on a design for the Kona Charm Pack challenge that my guild is doing yet, so this might be in the running.

there's a teensy bit more info on my blog here, including my first layout and a bit of a hint... and if you'd like to check out all the awesome entries in the challenge, and vote for your favourite (voting ends 7pm EST on sunday), you can go to the Iron craft post here for more info
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011 12:25:49 AM by craftydame - Reason: finally got the pictures to work! » THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my crafty blog!

i like exclamation marks.
Padester
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011 03:52:50 PM »

Very pretty - birght and cheery!  How big is the pillow?  I bet it brightens up whatever room it's in, eh?   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
blue_skiesMN
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011 04:39:00 PM »

Lovely! I love the bright colors Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftydame
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

i love glitter and glitter loves me.

hi craftster! i've missed you!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011 05:19:20 PM »

thanks! it's about 16" wide, and 10-11" tall. i like odd sized pillows!

it's definitely brightening up my sewing table right now! it doesn't suit me at all, so i'm going to use it for a giveaway. hopefully it'll brighten up it's new home just as well!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011 05:57:19 PM by craftydame » THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my crafty blog!

i like exclamation marks.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Messy Braids Hairstyle: Backstage at Nicole Miller Spring 2014 Show
How to Do Retro Rockabilly Hair
How to Use Dry Shampoo
How to Do Bright Ombre Tips
How to Do an Easy Side Knot
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...