A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,593
Currently Running With Scissors:
745 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: ideas on what materials to use to make earring/necklace with hair?  (Read 1416 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

RCKFELLA
Tutorial Contributor

there's no substitute for time

View Profile
« on: May 14, 2011 10:36:26 PM »

When I first thought of this the idea sounded really good but now that I'm about to explain it, it may seem kind of creepy. Sorry if this puts you off!

My samoyed Polo went to doggie heaven on Thursday. Before we buried him, I cut a lock of his hair to keep with me. I've been thinking about somehow turning it into an earring or a necklace. The only problem is I have no clue how to do it. My idea was to dip the end in glue and wrap silver wire around it to make a loop so i can attach and earring hook or a chain.

Here is a picture to show you how much I have to work with and a bobby pin for comparison.

I don't know if I'm making much sense but I'm hoping some of you lovely jewelry experts can help me out.
Thanks Smiley
-Karen
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011 10:39:51 PM by RCKFELLA » THIS ROCKS   Logged

LadybugsAndBumblebees
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011 05:49:03 AM »

I'm sorry on the loss of your dog.  And I don't think it sounds creepy at all.  Good luck on this project, I'm sorry I don't have any ideas for you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cmb
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011 07:01:43 AM »

I've been thinking of doing something similar to this with loose feathers. I plan on using a bullet casing and filling it with glue, then sticking the feathers into that. I have no idea if it will actually work...I'm obviously new here, but I'm very new to jewelry making stuff and have been experimenting a lot.

If you don't have or want to use bullet casings, I'm sure you could find other tiny, similarly shaped containers to work the same way. I saw little bottles at Joann's the other day, they were clear, but you could paint a design on the outside of the bottle. I've considered doing that with the bullet casings as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Feast Your Eyes
People are entitled to their hobbies, and I'm entitled to think those people are creepy. - Raylan Givens, Justified

Serial Craft Dabbler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011 03:14:28 PM »

Condolences on the loss of your friend.
Do you want to be able to touch the fur, or just have it with you? For the former, gluing may work. I'd use something really strong like E6000. For the latter, many people have carried hair with them in lockets. You could braid a small strip and encase it in resin. You could also make a small amulet bag of cloth, beadwork, or leather to carry it in. I hope this gives you some ideas. I also don't think it's creepy at all. I have a box of beagle ashes in my bedroom.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Honored to be a J&T Featured Member

Vintage sewing patterns and unique jewelry at
Sinners' Feast
Alexus1325
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011 12:56:44 PM »

Not creepy at all.

I was just exploring this website, and I think something like this may work for you:

https://shop.rings-things.com/cart/pc/Bullet-End-6x9mm-with-Loop-White-1079p13694.htm

It's 6mm wide, so a fairly large hank of hair could be glued into it, though there is another page for the 5mm version. You can attach a bail for a pendant or earring hooks right to the loop.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bionic Dingo
Cunning Artificer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011 02:48:45 PM »

A cap and glu would work just fine, though make sure the hair is good and stuck together at the end before you stick it in the cap; you don't want the stuff in the middle to fall out on you.

Another thought; Felting. If you're inclined in that direction it's quite easy to make felt beads out of dog/cat hair.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<< I'm on Etsy!  www.magpiehouse.ets y.com >>
Artisan82

formerly Crafty.Canadian

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011 05:16:34 PM »

If you do some research into Victorian Mourning Jewelery, you might get some ideas.  Typically they would incorporate hair into the jewelery somehow.  Do a google image search for "victorian mourning jewelery hair" and you'll see loads of examples.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I post all my crafty stuff on Facebook.  I'd LOVE if you'd like my page!
Artisan 82 on Facebook
My baby, my Etsy shop: Artisan 82 on Etsy
lidehtium
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011 12:57:09 PM »

I would say cut the end flat and dip it in glue so it soaks up really good on the end and when its dried (in one piece of glue instead of hundreds of pieces of fur) glue it into any kind of encasement so it will hang down
THIS ROCKS   Logged

angelofthelastday

Beware: objects in glass are actual size.

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011 06:01:47 AM »

After seeing a dead squirrel beer bottle cozy I think I have seen it all. Haha! I'm just kidding.

But anyway, there is already a whole world of hair jewelry called mourning jewelry. It mas made in the Victorian era after a loved one would die because that was a part of them that lived on. Maybe you could get some ideas by looking it up. Some of it doesn't even look like it's hair!

When I saw what you were doing I immediately thought of possibly wedging it between two pieces of glass for a pendant or something so the hair can't fall out. If you go with that idea you could possibly braid it first or make a design with it? I saw a complete pendant glass frame set like that at either Michael's, Hobby Lobby, or Joann's once. Its' hard to say which one because I frequent them all. Wink

And of course it's not weird. Why would it matter if anyone else thought it was weird anyway? It's going to be a memento for you.

Good luck! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

frankeknitter
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011 02:12:41 PM »

You could use metal crimp beads. Place some hair in the circle crimp and wear.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Etch a Monogram on Glass
How to Transfer Photo Images
How to Embellish Glass and Wood Surfaces
DIY Nursery Series: Easy Tissue Paper Wall Art
How to Make a Dream Catcher Necklace
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...