A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 304,873
Currently Running With Scissors:
655 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My Kitchen Make Over, dark to bright!  (Read 3812 times)
Tags for this thread: kitchen  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

melcla
« on: May 14, 2011 05:37:36 PM »

So we bought our house almost a year ago... and it had a very country feel...and I'm more of a modern day girl! Cheesy
So I've been planning this for a while...
The cupboards took 2 coats of b-i-n and 2-3 coats of bright white paint! Cheesy
I was so nervous that i sat on the paint for a few days before i started it, but i then said screw it and went for it!
It's exactly how I wanted it to look, and i'm so happy with it.  
I bought new handles, but couldn't afford new hinges too, so i spray painted them... i think they look alright (considering).. Wink
Just a few things I learned along the way... B-I-N is so much better than latex primer!! I completely recommend it, it covered the dark so well!
Also, if you're buying new handles..if you want to save time, buy handles that the are same length as the ones you already have.. mine weren't..and it took a bit longer, because i had to fill holes, and drill new ones.. but considering i got these $1 a piece on eBay (can i put that on here?) It was worth the extra step.  
It took me almost 2 weeks to complete this project, i have young children, so i could only work on it in the evenings or nap time... I'm sure I could have gotten it done sooner... but there were a few days I didn't even touch it... Tongue
One more thing: I took off the cupboard that was right next to the window on the wall... I didn't like where it was...it didn't line up with the bottom cupboards, and i found it just didn't look right... I dont really miss the cupboard space...and it was an extra spot for wall art! Smiley It was a win-win!

Thanks to everyone with the amazing comments! Cheesy My next step is replacing countertops!  Which is going to start in a few weeks.. I will upload New pictures when it's done, i'm so excited!! Cheesy
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011 08:42:24 AM by melcla » THIS ROCKS   Logged
zkatom
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011 06:11:50 PM »

Wonderful job!  It looks great!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RuneAriala
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011 06:41:14 PM »

I really love how the new paint goes so well with your beautiful dark ceilings. Good job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SkyyAngel
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011 07:45:41 PM »

I really love how the new paint goes so well with your beautiful dark ceilings. Good job!

I was going to say the same thing! I generally dislike white cabinets, but with your dark ceilings and floors, having the cabinets dark too was kinda awful. It looks so much more bright and cheery in there, I love it! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
melcla
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011 04:18:59 AM »

I agreed.  It was just too much dark for the small little kitchen it is... its funny because they say kitchen and bathrooms sell houses... but both are small here... but i'm not a big cook, so its enough room for what i do... the bathroom is the same...we have a huge finished basement, and 3 bedrooms up stairs...and the potential for 2 more downstairs..so thats what sold us on the us... that and a huge back yard! Cheesy
Thanks for the great comments!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rileyartie
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011 09:27:00 PM »

Great job! I love everything about it, the paint color, the cabinets, and especially your ceilings!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fochaux
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011 05:19:38 AM »

looks great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Since my girls actually nap (knock on wood), I am going to start trying to work off my negative feedback.  Life got hectic with their early arrival.  I apologize for the inconveniences my flaking caused.
scarlet_nights
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

You laugh because Im different, I laugh because your all the same.

Eh what, no Im a f@$&ing squirel

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011 11:25:53 PM »

I love how it has a little bit of a 50's vibe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dai-chan
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011 03:43:07 PM »

What an improvement! Looks great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FoxInDocs
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011 04:59:59 AM »

That looks really great!

I too have been sitting on some white paint for a while now... I know white's not a popular colour around craftster, but i find it makes all my coloured bits really pop.

my only problem is that my counter tops are really ugly slate-looking laminate... which i'm afraid will look even worse with the white cabinets...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Smokey Eye Cat Makeup and Hair Tutorial
Learn About Toxic Beauty Ingredients TEA, DEA, MEA
Learn About Toxic Beauty Ingredient DMDM Hydantoin
How to Curl Hair With a Can
Tips on Using a Hair Straightener Flat Iron
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...