A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,582
Currently Running With Scissors:
587 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Best machine for free motion quilting?  (Read 1563 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CraftyDiem
« on: May 14, 2011 04:14:52 PM »

What else is there to say?  I am looking for a new (or used) machine for free motion quilting.  Sure, it would be great if I could do other things with it - but I've never used a lot of fancy stitches and I'm tired of fighting with tension on my Juki TL 98E.  I would say the price, at this point, is wide open.  Is it worth it to spend $2000 or more?  Or can you get a really high quality older machine for around $500?  I sew almost every day but only for pleasure, not for profit.  I make quilts and occasional clothes for my daughter. 

I would really love to know what others think.  I've looked around a bit online and there is just SO much out there.  I'm getting a little overwhelmed.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Progress not perfection.

http://craftydiem.blogspot.com/
anaximander
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011 09:46:57 PM »

Well, I have one of the cadillacs of free motion quilting machines - a Bernina 440qe, with the Stitch Regulator. I'm not gonna lie, it's pretty sweet. It makes sure that the stitches are evenly spaced and gorgeous, and comes with a bunch of quilting feet (like a walking foot for straight line, a quarter inch foot, etc.) It's also pretty expensive - mine retailed at about $4500 cdn. (*I did not pay that much, I got a demo machine.)

What I'd suggest doing is begging or borrowing another domestic machine, and see if you're comfortable just using a free motion, or darning foot. If you can move it easily and are happy with the results, then damn near any machine that has a free motion foot, that's sturdily built with a large throat, will work wonders. For a ton more information, check out this post - http://www.evidently.org/2007/02/too-much-information/ - it's a guy who undertakes the task of looking for a sewing machine for his wife, and the rather geeky way he approaches it. It's a good read.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyDiem
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011 09:48:27 PM »

Ahh yes you have my dream machine.  How wonderful!!! I'm not sure I can give up the speed and strength of my Juki, plus the throat space.  I love that blog though!!!  I'm also an excessive researcher so love it!

Enjoy that Bernina.  I aspire to it...  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Progress not perfection.

anaximander
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011 11:31:51 AM »

The funny thing is that once we have something we aspire to, we then aspire to greater heights.... I just went out and got an APQS millenium. Because, you know, I  just really *like* being in debt Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyDiem
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011 06:18:32 AM »

Wow!  That looks like a pretty amazing piece of machinery!  I can't wait to see what you can do with it. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Progress not perfection.

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Brass Ring Project
The Art of Wax Sculpting
The Guinness Museum of Automata
Jesse Hackett Sculpts Recycled Instruments
Tristan Eaton Recycles Garbage Into Art
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...