A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
500 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Christopher's Room, my first big installation!  (Read 14139 times)
Tags for this thread: art , installation , print , featured_project , craftster_best_of_2011  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mbkitter
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2011 10:18:35 AM »

Wow, I really love this! The story behind the art is so intriguing. What will you do with the installation once you take it down? Or is it permanent?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BananaAmbush

ARE the black bits in bananas tarantula's eggs?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2011 10:25:58 AM »

Thanks, guys! Yeah, I made up the Christopher story for the installation, but I might like to do a children's book about it as well. For those who wanted to know more about the story, here's a (hopefully!) somewhat better summary:

Christopher is a young and mostly lonely (except for one childhood friend) prince, who is basically a normal kid, if a little naive. One day he and the childhood friend (the girl in the wallpaper, and one of the books that I'm not sure you can see in pictures) go out to their favorite spot to play and Christopher is attacked by the great snake Ezra who is waiting for him there. After a mighty struggle, Christopher defeats the snake, but takes up its stoic mask and wears it from then on so that any other monsters will be afraid to attack him in the future. The mask gives Christopher Ezra's deadly powers, but basically saps his personality so that he cares about nothing anymore.

When Christopher returns home, his overbearing mother, the Insect Queen, doesn't recognize her son and rejects him, instead obsessively collecting pictures and other representations of the son she now assumes is dead. His father, the king, is extremely paranoid, and sees his newly-powerful son as a tool to get rid of his enemies. Two such enemies are the Orthrus twins, Asher and Felix, who own an armory company and plan to assassinate the king. Christopher is sent by his father to kill the twins and return their hands (each with distinctive tattoos) as proof. The hand of Felix (the one with the wrist tattoo in the pictures) is put on display in a box, while Asher's fingers are each put into a box so that the king can send them to other enemies as a warning. Meanwhile, this whole time, Christopher's childhood friend, the only witness to Ezra's attack, still recognizes him and tries to pull him back to the way things used to be, but so far her efforts have been in vain.

There are a couple other things not really shown in the pictures (mostly the stuff in the cabinets; Christopher's childhood books and toys) but that's the main story. If you want to get all art-analytical, it's a story about children being placed in situations they aren't in control of or don't understand, and their ways of coping with those situations. Whew! Sorry that was so long!

Oh and as for what to do with the installation once it goes down, I give all the pieces to my friends and family, or, hell, anyone who wants to buy a chunk. I don't get attached to art very easily  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

NEW PAPER DOLL ETSY STORE! Get 'em while they're hot!
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CharacterZoo

Also check out my crafty blog and drop me a line!
http://characterzoo.tumblr.com/
sparrowarms
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2011 11:28:57 AM »

That's amazing, well done you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://sparrowarms.blogspot.com
http://www.wists.com/sparrowarms

Anyone interested in a fabric stash swap? PM me if you are!
Luna1375
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2011 04:19:06 PM »

I would really like to buy that story when it gets published, that is amazing! I hope the artwork in it is just like this installation. It's beautiful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You can totally buy stuff I make!  http://www.etsy.com/shop/craftyluna  Smiley
sheriffkarli
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2011 07:41:31 PM »

Not only is the art breathtaking but the story is great as well. It sounds like it would make a great comic book series.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my crafting blog and tutorials at www.madebykarli.com
kitschbitch
Stitchin'

Music, crafts, and dogs...all good.

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2011 08:42:30 PM »

This rocks.  I'm too tired to write more.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

goatgoddess
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2011 09:25:28 AM »

ohhhhh LUCKY Rackycoo got to see it in person - this is so flipping cool on so many levels - the artwork is outstanding - the story is inventive and love love the 3D nature of it all. Love the body coming out of one box and in another only to pop out yet another box - too cool  Grin
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011 09:26:11 AM by goatgoddess » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Liannalives
craft machine

peace is something we make with our lives.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2011 03:48:36 PM »

I want this in my housse!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

liannalives.tumblr. com
Uglykids
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2011 10:01:08 PM »

Your work is Brilliant, Beautiful and Amazing. Everything you do blows my mind, you will surely be a huge success and truly influential artist one day. Hannah Batsel you are my idol Smiley Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eternallyeve
Tutorial Contributor

Live - Love - Create

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2011 03:02:38 AM »

you are bloody amazing
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come visit me Smiley
Website - Gallery - Blog - Tutorials - Store

Our collaborative craft blog!
Hand Made-n's
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adding Texture to a Reflection in Photoshop
Creating Mood with Gaussian Blur in Photoshop
Understanding Aspect Ratio for Printing
Windmill Post Processing
Color Range in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...