A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 299,174
Currently Running With Scissors:
420 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crochet Granny's Daughters Swap R8- New ideas...  (Read 627 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: May 14, 2011 09:12:37 AM »

So, I'm hoping to start another round of the Granny's Daughters swap (Round 7: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=376565.0) and a couple of ideas have been bouncing around in my brain. I'd like your feedback to know if they'd make good additions to the swap:

1) In an off-site discussion, it was suggested that everyone weave in their own tails to:
A) Make it fair so you don't have to weave in tails for your partner while your partner doesn't have to weave in tails for you
B) Make sure your tails are woven in just the way you like them

2) If we're not weaving in tails does that include the starting tails, too?

3) If we're not weaving in the tails, should we increase the number of GDs being sent to each partner (currently 40), and if so, how many?

4) Would you be interested in an added twist to the swap using variegated yarns? You would need to choose a variegated yarn to make a handful of GDs and then make the rest of the GDs in solid colors that coordinate with the variegated yarn.

5) If you think the variegated twist is a fun idea, how many solid colors (as a minimum) should you send?

Okay, that's what I have for ideas right now. Happy to take more! And comments on the ideas, too, of course Wink

And, for the timeframe, I'm thinking of starting sign-ups next month and having send-outs in July. I have to be careful with my end-of-school schedule, so that's not a solid timeline...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
Seereeoslee

Get 'em while they're young

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011 09:52:46 AM »

1) In an off-site discussion, it was suggested that everyone weave in their own tails to:
A) Make it fair so you don't have to weave in tails for your partner while your partner doesn't have to weave in tails for you

I'm all for weaving in your own tails for those exact reasons.  I've seen several projects fall apart because the tails weren't left long enough before weaving, so now I'm very particular about long tails and weaving.  Starting tails are easy to "weave in" by crocheting over them.  If you loop the tail around the starting chain AND crochet over the remaining tail you'll be "weaving" it in twice around. 

I think that sending coordinating GDs would be a nice stipulation.  But whether varigateds are sent should probably be up to partners because, while most of us like them, some people are vehemently opposed to variegated grannys. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*  *  *  *  Swaps  *  *  *  *  Granny's Daughters Round 8 and a Half (time to buy more yarn)  *  *  *  *
myklia
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011 10:24:39 AM »

I strongly support this.  I *think* I have been in every round and have seen some interesting stuff.

I do like Seereeoslee, where I crochet over the beginning tail.  It works great.

3) If we're not weaving in the tails, should we increase the number of GDs being sent to each partner (currently 40), and if so, how many?

I say keep it at 40, but I can go with the majority.

4) Would you be interested in an added twist to the swap using variegated yarns? You would need to choose a variegated yarn to make a handful of GDs and then make the rest of the GDs in solid colors that coordinate with the variegated yarn.

I do love variegated yarns, but I think I would be challenged in finding coordinating solids to go with them.  I think we should keep it as is.  You could maybe add a question "do you want variegated GDs as a part of your package?".  While most of us will say yes, it does give those whole want solids to just get solids.

5) If you think the variegated twist is a fun idea, how many solid colors (as a minimum) should you send?

Unsure
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011 12:53:09 PM »

So far...

Weave in starting tails, leave outside tail at least 6" long, stick with 40 GDs per partner, and leave the color choices up to partners.

I always say I'm not a fan of variegated yarns, but I do love how so may people send along solids that match their variegated GDs. My aunt gives me her leftover yarn from her projects, and she almost always includes some variegateds, so while I seldom buy it, I happen to have a lot of it Wink And, I am making a rectangle granny afghan that has a RHSS variegated colorway in it and as the basis for the color scheme.

I'm happy to skip the variegated twist (not having to weave in the ending tails would make me happy enough Wink ).

And, I wasn't thinking a huge amount more in the number of GDs (I was thinking 50 instead of 40), especially since they're so quick and we might not be weaving in outer tails. But, I'm happy to stick with 40 (and maybe leave it as an option if partners want to send more).

Anyone else?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

froggmomma
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011 06:43:20 AM »

1. I have had swapped grannies fall apart on me. I have also had swapped grannies made incorrectly, with 2 or 4 dc per side, and not enough ending tail to fix. I would much rather weave in my own tails.
2. I agree crocheting over the starting tail works best.
3.I tend to make double the "required" grannies to keep for myself, so upping the ante wouldn't be a problem.
4. I use a ton of variegated yarn, and the matching solids. Adding the option would be a great idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

He asked, and I said yes.
I'm looking for Home Interiors resin butterflies, and License plates from other states. PM me for swap info. I love to swap.
koalascout
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011 09:15:44 PM »

1) i am open to either

2) i think the starting tail should be woven in

3) as far as going up from forty, i think that is a good number but could be left up to partners for more

4 & 5)  i like the idea of a varigated with colors to match. as far as how much of each i think it should be broken down as follows:

for example the superhero grannies daughters
10 varigated superhero grannies
10 each of either red, yellow, blue, green, or white grannies

or any combo of solids colors to equal 30 such as 6 red, 6 yellow, 6 blue, 6 green, and 6 white

THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011 03:52:09 PM »

Yay! Keep the feedback coming!

I can add the variegated twist as a question, and do my best to pair up folks with that in mind. And, starting tails can be woven in, but we seem to be leaning towards ending tails being done by the recipient.

I'll probably start getting things ready next week, with sign-ups opening in the beginning of June. I need to find out when report card grades are due and then I can end sign-ups right after that Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kittymom13
Right @ Home on Craftster:

Meow...

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011 11:30:33 AM »

I'm open for this swap...and am getting really excited about there being another swap!  I've found a booklet while organizing in my basement(craft central) and have completed one row of joining the last swap Gds...here's a few pics just to get some excitement going!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011 04:15:39 PM »

Cool looking join! But are there gaps along the edges on the sides of the strips and in between the GDs? It looks fast... hmmm...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kittymom13
Right @ Home on Craftster:

Meow...

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011 07:17:51 PM »

The first side of the first row was the slowest part...getting the pattern rhythm took a few squares to get, then weaving ends just before attaching was slowing it down a bit...so I'll weave ends in tomorrow A.M. w/coffee and news.  I should plow right through these by the weekend!
I put the name of the book and cover pic just in case you have it or can find it on Amazon or something...if not, let me know... Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Wear Jewel-Toned Leather for Fall
How to Layer Sparkles for Fall
2013 Awards Show Season Fashion Recap: Comfort Vs. Sexy
Best & Worst Dressed List At The 2013 SAG Awards
Celebrity Street Styles: Jay Z, Jessica Alba and Heidi Klum
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...