A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 298,238
Currently Running With Scissors:
683 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dyed Pistachio Shell Hair Falls - for Daughter  (Read 4395 times)
Tags for this thread: pistachio_shell , pistachio , hair_fall  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mieljolie
« on: May 13, 2011 06:10:56 PM »

Made another pair of pistachio shell hair falls like these, but making better use of the shells we dyed with our leftover Easter egg dye.  This pair is for the daughter.

We used scrap yarn I've saved to string the shells on.

The white yarn was supposed to match the natural shells, but my lighting was playing awful tricks on my eyes. Smiley

I'm really happy with how these are turning out.  And, it's great that they are made from things we already had.

Above is a pic of the Easter egg dye we used.  Shells had to soak in it a few hours.  We left them in overnight.  If you want more info on how we did it or to see more pics, visits my blog.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011 06:12:55 PM by mieljolie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hermetus
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011 02:06:03 AM »

I never thought of dyeing the pistachio shells... Maybe that would help me create something with them.  Wink I hate throwing them away, 'cause they seem like something could be made using them, I just don't know what. Your hair falls are beautiful and very inspiring, thanks for sharing them with us!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mieljolie
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011 07:57:51 AM »

Thanks, Hermetus.  Besides the hair falls and a future bracelet, we're still thinking up other uses for the shells, too.  Let us know if you think of anything clever.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftFro

I'm all beady these days.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011 08:23:50 AM »

I really love this. I was just telling a friend that I was going to weave a few beads into my hair for summer, these colored shells are inspiring. I am not a pistachio fan but the Hub is -- maybe I will have to convince him to buy and eat a couple dozen.

I also really love your blog!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm addicted to polyclay and beads right now. HELP!
mieljolie
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011 08:57:08 AM »

...I am not a pistachio fan but the Hub is -- maybe I will have to convince him to buy and eat a couple dozen...

LOL!  You sound like me with colored pop tabs.  Caffeine doesn't agree with me, but I want to use the colored tabs.  I had my man drinking the green Monster at work so I could get enough to work with.  Cheesy  He informed me the other day that he'd eat more pistachios if I'd shell them for him.  Sheesh.  Well, I guess fair is fair.  Smiley 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

GoldfishGirl

Amorphous Big Red Monster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011 02:33:59 PM »

These are an absolute hoot! I might have to borrow your idea and present it to my bellydance troupe. They love great crafts that result from ordinary materials. Plus I bet stringing pistachio shells is easier than stringing cowrie shells.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists:  http://www.wists.com/goldfishgirl

I'm always up for Personal Swaps! I can knit and sew. What can you do? Let's trade!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Simple Solutions to Summer Beauty Dilemmas
How Do You Get Sexy Feet?
How to Make a Personal Perfume
4 Crazy Reasons You Get Wrinkles
9 Beauty Hacks That Will Change Your Life
Latest Blog Articles
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner
Tute Tuesday: Upcycled Car Trash Bag with Liner
Monsters, Monsters Everywhere

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...